Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop - The One-Eyed Monster
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Im going to make comparsion photo this evening.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your ser.no, too.
I once had three, two with the more "agricultural" focus ring and the smooth surface, ser.no. 90.. and 91..
The one I kept, with the better focussing ring and the matt finish has a ser.no. 93..
Images here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are the pics!

As you can see, there are lot of differences!
The "Cyrylic" one have:
Bluish coating.
Thiner focusing grip.
Lighter font and logo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Any difference in the smoothness of the focussing ring?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cyrylic one is much much smoother, maybe too mcuh, from using. The Cyrylic have bit of matt finish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid specimens! It's still yellow glass though some blue truly reflects.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh still yellow, camera wont take it, but it is much more blue when seen by your eyes.

I must test if the added blue layer added something good or bad to the lens..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you sell one? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! But Im very expensive Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handz: Is the rear glass loose on either one? My rear most glass is loose and I don't know how to get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version (Cyrillic or Latin) do you think was better build, mechanically and optically?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between these two samples is much smaller then variation that happens between two specimens of the same type due to factors like storing, handling, year of production etc. So information would be irrelevant by my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a site where someone posted a photo made with the 85/1.2 version. He converted it to DSLR by simply sawing off the protruding element Shocked.

http://photoholic.110mb.com/lenstest1.html

Ain't the sharpest one, and the CA is huge, but it gives kind of dreamy Imagon-like effect, don't you think?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found that too, IQ is very low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test indeed Wink

I find most lenses above f1.4 expensive and overrated. They often suffers from bloom, purple fringing and low contrast wide open, but this particular lens in the test (85mm f1.2) can be purchased for a pretty good price. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get my hands on a 85/1.2 I'll try with sawing off the rear element, it should work alright for B&W photos, some sharpening can always be applied Very Happy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever one at Click here to see on Ebay.de, look it's a helios! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulatom wrote:
If I get my hands on a 85/1.2 I'll try with sawing off the rear element, it should work alright for B&W photos, some sharpening can always be applied Very Happy.

Before you take the saw to it, try it without. The majority of the rear protrusion just unscrews and comes off, and the rear element drops out as well, leaving a much shorter protrusion from the lens barrel. I was able to use just a very short extension ring to space this out to a safe distance, and since the lens becomes a "focus with your feet" design anyway, the reduction in maximum focus distance isn't really a problem. Wink

Keep in mind though that without the rear element, it is just a single-element lens... So don't get your hopes up too high, it is really more of a novelty than anything. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Nothing new, there is H3T-1 with cheap m42 lens on ebay every week...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
pulatom wrote:

Before you take the saw to it, try it without. The majority of the rear protrusion just unscrews and comes off, and the rear element drops out as well, leaving a much shorter protrusion from the lens barrel. I was able to use just a very short extension ring to space this out to a safe distance, and since the lens becomes a "focus with your feet" design anyway, the reduction in maximum focus distance isn't really a problem. Wink

Keep in mind though that without the rear element, it is just a single-element lens... So don't get your hopes up too high, it is really more of a novelty than anything. Wink

We'll see, after all it's always fun to try something like this, it's probably the only M42 85mm lens with such a big aperture.

handz wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Nothing new, there is H3T-1 with cheap m42 lens on ebay every week...

I was thinking about selling mine with Helios 44-2, maybe I'll get some of the lens price back Very Happy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask again... Has anyone had a loose rear element in the Cyclop? Do you know how to open the back to secure the rear element?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't disassembly that lens yet, but looks like you have to unscrew the three screws that show up when you set the closest focus distance, maybe then you'll have access to the rear element.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

There's going to be some really disappointed buyer if they're hoping for a Monster Rolling Eyes
For what it's worth, I've fitted other M42 lenses on my Cyclops and they've all worked well enough as night sight lenses, even a crappy plastic Cosinon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have anyone tested with a zoom lens? Surprised Could be handy with a little bit of magnification on the nightvision Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only could find a zoom lens with F2 aperture... Very Happy.
BTW - just sold the body with Helios 44-2 for $55, looks like I spent only $35 on the lens itself Cool.