Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop - The One-Eyed Monster
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I finally found one at 40 euros; it's the version with rubberized grip. Definitely 85/1,5 as I asked the seller about it. Always fun to try out Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so people know, there are 85/1.5 versions out there with the damn protruding element in the back. I should know, I bought one, and am trying to unload it right now LaughingLaughingLaughing

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Just so people know, there are 85/1.5 versions out there with the damn protruding element in the back. I should know, I bought one, and am trying to unload it right now LaughingLaughingLaughing

Click here to see on Ebay

Damn! Perhaps it's age related. Your's is 9403xx, mine is 943048 or so. This one, belonging to a flickr member is 9320212, so perhaps his was the last of the old ones.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carstend/2055286306/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee. Well, if it's age related, then the one that aoleg found is also out, no?

I guess the only way to be safe is to ask the seller to unscrew the lens and take a look at the rear Rolling Eyes

Valuable lesson learned!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

Sorry to hear about that - but also useful to know that even the 1.5 can suffer from enormo-nipple-itis Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
enormo-nipple-itis Wink

That conjurs images that I'm not going to share! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Mal1905 wrote:
enormo-nipple-itis Wink

That conjurs images that I'm not going to share! Shocked

Apologies - it seemed like the most appropriate description for the offending article though...Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I found one (took a little time Rolling Eyes ) and its optical quality is such that I don't need to ever look for the Helios-40 now. In fact I have just shot a portrait with this "Cyclop 85/1.5" and I think it is a more than decent performer! So, in my case, it definitely is 100% of the fun for 10% of the price Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Peter!

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and I was about to dig it out to see if I could find one on efray.

I'm looking forward to seeing your samples. Maybe it'll stop raining before Xmas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and here they are. I really think it is a superb performer for the money (40 euros), don't you think too?

Yes, the lens information is actually painted on!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results from it and that bokeh is quite H-40 ish, doncha think?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The portrait & the berries pics are amazing.

Why are the berries still there? Ours vanished over a month ago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Finally I found one (took a little time Rolling Eyes ) and its optical quality is such that I don't need to ever look for the Helios-40 now. In fact I have just shot a portrait with this "Cyclop 85/1.5" and I think it is a more than decent performer! So, in my case, it definitely is 100% of the fun for 10% of the price Wink

Congratulations Peter - you'll now agree that it was definitely worth waiting for a copy of this lens to show up Wink

I love the painted-on letters and numbers - very artisan - and these are some lovely samples too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

It is a Helios-40, just without the aperture and under a different name.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my ... its making me wanna find one too but there isn't any Sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
oh my ... its making me wanna find one too but there isn't any Sad

Don't give up - it took me a while and Peter a while longer, but they are out there and you'll hopefully get one sooner rather than later Wink

There are some search hints throughout this thread which may prove helpful in your quest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the problem with 1.2 version is only the mount, would it be possible if you would make an adapter (extender for 3-5?cm) m42-pipe-m42 if the registration distance is ok? Or it would be too soft for any use?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Cyclop, a Helios-40 basically?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

It is indeed - rumour has it that the Helios-40 units that didn't pass "Quality Control" were sent to the military for use as lenses on night-vision devices Cool

egidio wrote:
so the problem with 1.2 version is only the mount, would it be possible if you would make an adapter (extender for 3-5?cm) m42-pipe-m42 if the registration distance is ok? Or it would be too soft for any use?

The problem with the f/1.2 version is the fact that there's an enormous protuberance from the rear-end - desirable in some instances, but just not on a lens!

In my uneducated opinion, I don't see that the lens would function as intended if one were to use the setup you've mentioned. Then again, it could be fun to try it and find out - now, where's Dave with his version??? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
there's an enormous protuberance from the rear-end - desirable in some instances, but just not on a lens!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Orio wrote:

It is indeed - rumour has it that the Helios-40 units that didn't pass "Quality Control" were sent to the military for use as lenses on night-vision devices Cool

Nope, these were not rejects, just manufactured this way specifically for night vision devices. Unfortunately, these are out of production now, but they were being made until very recently. I believe these were replaced with a different 85/1.5, then 85/1.2 and later on 100/1.5 lenses based on similar design. I can't confirm exact timeline though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Then again, it could be fun to try it and find out - now, where's Dave with his version??? Wink

I've just mounted it on the K10D via an extension ring and tried it out - results are inconclusive. It seems a bit soft and it only focuses at about 1m +/- 0.25m no matter where the focus ring is at. I must have a go at getting this protuberance off in one piece.

aoleg wrote:
Farside wrote:

It is a Helios-40, just without the aperture and under a different name.

I suspected as much. There are some real echoes of the Helios-40 in the design, even the use of the tripod collar.

Last edited by Farside on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys i just got one here... Click here to see on Ebay
But i am not sure if it is the right one ...
Serial number : 9900609

The lense is 85/1.5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the right one, but the only way we can tell for sure is if the seller shows us the back of the lens - with the lens removed from the IR device.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to refloat this post. I have noticed that the older ones have the serial number and 1.5/85 at 90º angle, then the cyclop incription and the manufacturer logo. The newer ones, with prottunding element just the serial number and the 1.5/85 inscription in front of it, Am I right?