Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop - The One-Eyed Monster
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
I recently bought a 150mm/1.5 night vision lens with Helios diagram (by LOMO). It's a glass used on T-54 and T-55 tank. It will be like a 3kg Cyclop maybe Very Happy . It's still in Ukraine, can't wait to see how it will be. The only sample I found with such lens show quite poor quality (soft focus), somehow close to Cyclop.

Looking forward to seeing results Pierre, but also that lens!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cyclop 85mm sits around unused, attached to its night vision device, in original leatherette. I have the Helios-2 85mm too, but funny enough don't use it too. Guess it's just too heavy Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown to me Cyclop Reply with quote

bturnerphotos wrote:
Thanks for re posting the picture for me! I am not so sure it isn't the lens from an infrared version of the scope? I found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Vision-Device-Cyclop-1RI-w-Infrared-/381188508108

If no one knows what it is or how it performs, I will post the results if it is usable or not.

I think you're right.
It looks very much the same.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Got the lens today! Reply with quote

I am not sure if any of you guys bought up the one I linked to, but whoever did also got what appears to be a jupiter 50mm f2 lens!
And wait for it............

Swirly bokeh and nice and sharp!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice!

Show us the lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown to me Cyclop Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
bturnerphotos wrote:
I just won this one at an auction, but have no idea what it is. Almost looks like the 100mm f2 maybe but not quite.

Has anyone seen this one, is it junk, maybe an undiscovered one. I do not see any markings on the lens and it is on a h3t-1.

http://images.shopgoodwill.com/122/3-5-2015/4065209591818en.jpg

Hi BTurner and welcome on this great forum. Smile

First post don't show links. It's an antispam measure.
Now your posts will be ok.

your image :

So, has anyone seen this one ? Smile

Thanks, It's this one I posted earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a Cyclop shooting session coming on this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wedding Sat and I am sure this guy will make an appearance of some sort!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I would love to see some more results! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots I took today. I want to get some more practice with it before the wedding!

Also here is a shot of the lens cap which is the only thing that gives an indication it is a Jupiter. Also these are with a 5d classic and cheap m42 adapter works fine with no problems focusing or with the mirror at least with my copy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anybody tried the 85 1.2? Say on a NEX or A7?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold mine today for $299 in less than an hour Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Cyclop shots from Downtown Charleston. Several of these are merged from three or more images. The late afternoon lighting was very low, so ideal for the f/1.5 Cyclop. It almost looks like a "normal" lens took these pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. Especially #2 and 3 Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're splendid !
Congrats. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. It is a lens that I take out every now and then and I love it for all its flaws.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping this thread alive. I had a Cyclop urge on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Woodrim for keeping it alive.
Great shots, composition, colours, light. Post production reveals the best of this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Thank your lucky stars you didn't go for the 1.2 with that dammed protruding end piece.

What is the problem with the 85/1.2 version? I am in the process of aquiring one, but can stop the buy if there are significant problems with that lens or its usage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugen Mezei wrote:
Farside wrote:
Thank your lucky stars you didn't go for the 1.2 with that dammed protruding end piece.

What is the problem with the 85/1.2 version? I am in the process of aquiring one, but can stop the buy if there are significant problems with that lens or its usage.

The end piece makes the lens unusable on an SLR, I found.
It's akin to the wide-angle fish-eye Nikons that needed the mirror locked up.

However, that was before the advent of mirrorless cameras, where there might be enough room to accomodate it.
If I'd held back from hacking the end piece off, I could have tried it on a mirrorless, if I'd bought one, which I never did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Farside"]
Eugen Mezei wrote:
Farside wrote:

The end piece makes the lens unusable on an SLR, I found.

if I'd bought one, which I never did.

Are those two not a contradiction?