Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kalimar MC 28-85mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Kalimar MC 28-85mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about the Kalimar MC Auto Zoom 28-85mm f3.5?

This was another lens that I picked up to use as a mount donor, then couldn't bring myself to take it apart. Wink

It's quite compact for a zoom, only a bit longer than my Soligor 28/2.8. It's a push/pull that takes a bit of effort to move, but the rotation for focus is very smooth. In terms of performance, it seems to be just a bit on the soft side, but gives very saturated colors and a pleasant bokeh. It is very prone to flare, but it is somewhat forgivable because the flare is interestingly colorful. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sample of the flare. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice flare Surprised

I've seen that pattern grip on Sigmas and Hanimex lenses. Was it made in Korea or Japan? Wondering if it could be a Cimko or something similar. I wonder if the 'K' means anything in the serial number?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was made in Korea.

It took me a while to find the marking, as it was printed in tiny letters in dark grey. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably from the same line as this one then:

http://forum.mflenses.com/hanimex-70-210-made-in-korea-any-info-t13667,highlight,hanimex+70210mm.html

I thought it was an OK lens actually!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Here's a sample of the flare. Very Happy

No doubts, it's a multicoated lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
No doubts, it's a multicoated lens. Very Happy

Is that what does it? Hmm... I suppose the fact that I've never seen it like that before probably says something about the rest of my lenses... Very Happy