Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OSAWA MC 28/2.8? (Very Compact!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: OSAWA MC 28/2.8? (Very Compact!) Reply with quote

For a while now, I've been eagerly awaiting a package from my US relay, expecting to find the Soligor C/D 28/2.8 I had mentioned in the "Soligor 28/2.8 Versions" thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-eighteen-versions-t30866,start,75.html#1058820

... but instead, I received this- an OSAWA MC 28/2.8:

I can't quite say whether this is a bad thing or a good thing. Wink This OSAWA is amazingly compact... the aperture ring is the size of the mount, and it makes a distinct step down in diameter for the focus grip. The filter threads are only 49mm, and the lens is so short, that there is nothing stationary to grab when you put it on the camera. Very Happy It is in very good condition, the focus is smooth, no fungus, etc, etc.

Here it is in comparison with a few other lenses:

Note that my Soligor 28/2.8 in the photo above is one of the smaller versions, with the 58mm filter threads. Serial number prefix 171x.

So now my question - Does anyone know anything about OSAWA lenses, or know who the manufacturer of this lens might be? It has a distinctive double-circle marking the aperture, and "MADE IN JAPAN" stamped on the body. The aperture ring grip is metal, and the focus grip is rubber. It has 6 aperture blades, and a minimum focus distance of 0.3m.

It probably isn't worth the hassle & shipping to get this one returned, so basically I'm wondering if it will be comparable to the Soligor C/D I should have received. Wink

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I remember correctly but I believe Osawa lenses were made by Osawa. I believe Osawa distributed Mamiya products and may even have had controlling interest in the company (I think in the 1980's)
then Mamiya had financial problems. I am not sure if Osawa is still in business or not. If you do some searching on the internet the info is out there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this thread in PentaxForums.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93270-osawa-lenses.html#post1044059

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a long osawa zoom which looks well built but is a bit of a dodgy performer with plenty of ca unfortunately Sad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a prettier similar Osawa 28mm f2.8 m42, the difference is Osawa MC is in red and others in yellow and the knurling on focusing is different........Oh and the performance is just ok so it's unused in a box.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one in OM mount but it's bigger than yours. it has filter mount 52mm.
haven't really tested it yet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbshooter wrote:
I am not sure if I remember correctly but I believe Osawa lenses were made by Osawa. I believe Osawa distributed Mamiya products and may even have had controlling interest in the company (I think in the 1980's)
then Mamiya had financial problems. I am not sure if Osawa is still in business or not. If you do some searching on the internet the info is out there.

1- Depending on the period : the firs tbatch of osawa lenses were good quality (it is not clear for me if manufactured by osawa or by ozone)
the second batch was sun made and quality medium

Your lens is from 1st batch = supposed of good quality

Under osawa brand you can find some rare lens as the 650 8.5 mirror (also sold under soligor tm)

2- Mamiya was a part of osawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: One of my favorite lenses! Reply with quote

I have an M42 version, and it is one of my favorite lenses! I find it remarkably easy and fast to focus, and IQ seems pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbshooter wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Take a look at this thread in PentaxForums.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93270-osawa-lenses.html#post1044059
PBFACTS wrote:
1- Depending on the period : the firs tbatch of osawa lenses were good quality (it is not clear for me if manufactured by osawa or by ozone)
the second batch was sun made and quality medium

Your lens is from 1st batch = supposed of good quality

Under osawa brand you can find some rare lens as the 650 8.5 mirror (also sold under soligor tm)

2- Mamiya was a part of osawa

Hmm, well that is certainly encouraging! Surprised From what I can tell, Mamiya has a very good reputation for their lenses. Cool

I've never heard of "ozone" as a lens manufacturer... Are there any clues to tell Osawa from Ozone, or first (Osawa/Ozone) vs second (Sun) batches? Also, does this determination give any hints as to when this lens might have been made? Question

Thanks for the help. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I have a long osawa zoom which looks well built but is a bit of a dodgy performer with plenty of ca unfortunately Sad

Interestingly, I went looking on ebay to see if I could find more examples of these Osawa lenses, and almost all of them were zooms. Wink

Excalibur wrote:
Well I have a prettier similar Osawa 28mm f2.8 m42, the difference is Osawa MC is in red and others in yellow and the knurling on focusing is different........Oh and the performance is just ok so it's unused in a box.
WolverineX wrote:
i have one in OM mount but it's bigger than yours. it has filter mount 52mm.
haven't really tested it yet
lens-o-matic wrote:
I have an M42 version, and it is one of my favorite lenses! I find it remarkably easy and fast to focus, and IQ seems pretty good as well.

Hmm, so "Just OK", "Untested", and "Favorite- Pretty Good". We're all over the map. Very Happy

I wonder if we can figure out which are from the different batches and manufacturers that PBFACTS mentioned? Excalibur and lens-o-matic, would you be able to check the filter thread sizes on yours? If any of you have pictures of your lenses, I would love to see them. The Soligor 28/2.8 thread is a great example of how much you can figure out when you get enough information together. Cool

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Osawa M42....left to right Canon, Sigma and Osawa, all 28mm f2.8:-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this old test of PK mount 28mm lenses. And the Osawa lens here looks pretty much like the Tokina 28mm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovim wrote:
I found this old test of PK mount 28mm lenses. And the Osawa lens here looks pretty much like the Tokina 28mm.

Wow, great find, thankyou! Two things surprise me here:

1. Tokina RMC and Hoya lenses do very well
2. The cost of these lenses compared to the Pentax-M i.e the same!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
ovim wrote:

Wow, great find, thankyou!

Yes, thanks!

It looks like the Osawa in that test came in right around the middle of the pack, maybe just a bit below. It is definitely a different lens than the one I have, but it looks pretty similar to Excalibur's lens. He rated his as "just OK" in performance, which would make sense. Wink

In case the image becomes unavailable, I typed in the test results from the scan:
Quote:
Osawa 28mm f/2.8

Construction: 7 elements in 6 groups
Minimum aperture: f/22
Aperture settings: half stop detentes
Minimum focus: 30cm
Filter thread: 52mm
Lenshood: none
Dimensions: 41mm long x 60mm diameter
Weight: 245g
Mount fittings: FD, MD, AI, OM, PK, M42
Price: £48
Distributor: J. Osawa & Co Ltd

Distortion: minimal
Vignetting: moderately high at full aperture, eliminated at two stops down
Contrast: medium

Average MTF Readings, F/3.5, f/5.6
10 lpmm, 74%, 85%
20 lpmm, 45%, 63%
40 lpmm, 19%, 34%

Central performance: good
Edge performance: good
Overall Rating ***

For reference, the competition:
***** Pentax-M, Tokina
**** Hoya HMC, Sigma
*** Hanimex, Osawa, Tamron, Vivitar FM
** Cosinon, Makinon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I took some measurements of my lens.

Diameter at the aperture ring grip: 63mm
Diameter at the focus grip: 58mm
Diameter at the center barrel: 56mm

Length measured from the mount: 31mm
Length measured from the rear element: 39mm

Weight (kitchen scale): ~180g

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Diameter at the aperture ring grip: 63mm
Diameter at the focus grip: 58mm
Diameter at the center barrel: 56mm

Length measured from the mount: 31mm
Length measured from the rear element: 39mm

Weight (kitchen scale): ~180g

I'd like to see some tests from this lens.
If it tests well this could be a perfect lens for a Minolta X3 To X700 series.
Providing I can find one in MD.

Measurements wise it's about the same size as a Minolta 45/2 pancake.
Except the length is approx 3mm less on this lens. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="walter g"]
Scheimpflug wrote:

Huh! I have about eight 28mm lenses that are sharper than my Osawa, even my Kiron 28-105mm is sharper @28mm. Of course I could have a bad copy but it's in mint condition and not abused.
If you want a nice 28mm lens for your X-700 I'd go for a Vivitar 28mm close focus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Excalibur"]
walter g wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

Huh! I have about eight 28mm lenses that are sharper than my Osawa, even my Kiron 28-105mm is sharper @28mm. Of course I could have a bad copy but it's in mint condition and not abused.
If you want a nice 28mm lens for your X-700 I'd go for a Vivitar 28mm close focus.

Oh well, it was the perfect size so I was hoping it was a sharp lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

The digital guys are not so interested in Minolta bayonet, so there are some nice lenses going cheaper, so why get an Osawa when you can get the vivitar mentioned.
I wonder what this Hanimex 28mm is like that I have won:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150482681758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
walter g wrote:

The digital guys are not so interested in Minolta bayonet, so there are some nice lenses going cheaper, so why get an Osawa when you can get the vivitar mentioned.
I wonder what this Hanimex 28mm is like that I have won:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150482681758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've already got some nice 28mm lenses. And thanks, I have considered the Vivitar close focus lens. Actually I haven't found one when I had the cash. But it is on the list.

What I really want is a 28mm pancake in MD or tmount, ys, etc.
If youve used a Minolta 45/2. That's exactly what I want in a 28mm..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the samples?????????? Razz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
walter g wrote:

fatdeeman wrote:
Where's the samples?????????? Razz

Haha. Very Happy

So I have done some preliminary testing. I'll have to wait for daylight to do the "real" tests, but here's my first round assessment:

* Sharpness is not a problem for this Osawa. At f/2.8, it is definitely sharper than my older Soligor. At f/8, they seem to be pretty much even.
* Bloom/glow is significantly better on the Osawa, especially when wide open and with bright highlights.
* Background bokeh seems to be a touch smoother on the Osawa (less pronounced edging than the Soligor)
* Surprisingly, the Osawa appears to have lower contrast? I don't have a good explanation for that one...
* Both lenses have a minimum focus distance of 0.3m. On the Soligor, it takes a bit over 3/4 of a turn to go from 0.3m to infinity, while the Osawa takes less than half a turn. It is definitely easier to focus much more quickly with the Osawa, but probably more difficult for very accurate focusing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made another discovery: There appears to be about two stops of exposure difference between the two lenses. Shocked

If I put the Osawa on the D40 and establish an aperture and shutter speed that gives a good exposure, then the Soligor at the same settings will give an image which is overexposed. Likewise, if the exposure is set with the Soligor, then the equivalent Osawa image will be underexposed. Confused If I change the shutter speed, I can achieve nearly identical exposure histograms from both lenses.

I don't know if this is just tolerances between manufacturers, or if one of my two lenses needs an adjustment? Perhaps it could even be truth-stretching for marketing purposes? Both lenses open up completely at f/2.8 (no aperture blades visible), and stop down to reasonably small openings. The Osawa stops down further, but then again it should (f/22 min aperture vs f/16 for the Soligor).

I have a suspicion that this difference is part of the reason why the Osawa appeared to have lower contrast in my first set of test shots. It would have been two stops underexposed.... Neutral

walter g wrote:

Here is a quick pair of samples to show the sharpness. I think I used f/5.6 for both of the shots. They were cropped and resized to 50%, and given the one-click auto white balance in GIMP, but are otherwise straight from the camera. I hadn't yet figured out the exposure difference when I took these, so they probably aren't good enough samples to compare contrast or color, just sharpness. Wink

Osawa:

Soligor:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and here are some 100% crops of the same images:

Osawa:

Soligor:

Osawa:

Soligor:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dug out my Osawa as I bought a Hanimex 28 F2.8 it was this one @ £5.50:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HANIMEX-MC-AUTO-1-2-8-f-28mm-LENS-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/150482681758?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item2309777f9e

Well I compared the two (in an unscientific way) and would say the Hanimex was a bit sharper than the Osawa, but these lenses fit into the saying.... "you get what you pay for".