Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop - The One-Eyed Monster
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
You can make your own aperture diaphragm, just put a disc with a whole in front of the lens.

Obviously you mean "You can make your own aperture Iris", as an Iris is not a diaphragm!
Anyway, putting such a disk in front of the lens would'nt work as all it would do is cause huge vignetting...Any such disk must be fitted somwhere between the front and rear elements inside the lens.
I have a Helios 40 with no Iris (Its long story) and I have tried fitting black cardboard disks with various sized holes in them in place of the missing Iris blades and it works great.
You simply remove the front elements to gain access to the iris ring, push the disk into place and replace the front element.
Removing the front elements of his miltary version would be an identical process as its optically identical to the Helios 40 but as it never had an Iris built in he would need to taylor make the disk to fit inside the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you made any diamond shaped? I really love to see the bokeh samples.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Did you made any diamond shaped? I really love to see the bokeh samples.

I never thought of making diamond or other shaped holes in the disks...I agree it would be interesting to see the OOF results.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked several examples of this lens and have found that there are two different ones.
The newer version (higher serial numbers) has a matt finish and a smoother focussing ring (not so "agricultural").
My copy of the better version has a serial number starting with 931.

Here are a few images:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to remove the tripod mount?
There are three small screws in the ring that points to the camera.
Is it possible to remove this ring, then, and remove the tripod collar?
Handling would be easier without it.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they both come off.

To remove the ring, you need to loosen or remove all three of those tiny screws. The ring is actually threaded onto the lens body with very fine threads, so you unscrew the ring to remove it. It might be a bit stiff, as the three set screws have chewed up the threads. Confused

Once the ring is off, you just loosen the big knob on the tripod collar and it slides right off the back. Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Got it off!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5/85mm also exists with protruding back element. The later the version higher the possibility. I'd dare saying it's totally different lens design with much lower quality glass. You can also separate it by that bluish coating (compared to yellow Tomioka type calssic). Just ask the seller of the coloring - he will share that info more easily then to unscrew the lens...

Did anyone successfully used 1.2/85mm?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Error!

Where?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images with the Cyclop:

http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/viewtopic.php?p=977455#977455

I have found it a quite useful lens.
Only I was missing 1/8000 s on my K20 at times. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For instance this sample is surely the crappy one (sorry Seller): Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, if it looks like it has step-up ring in front than its non usable on cameras

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it again - that blue glass is identifier of protuberant variant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
I have checked several examples of this lens and have found that there are two different ones.
The newer version (higher serial numbers) has a matt finish and a smoother focussing ring (not so "agricultural").
My copy of the better version has a serial number starting with 931.

Here are a few images:

What you call matt finish looks like a textured paint. Why is that one better? Does it have anything to do with having the name Cyclops as opposed to that other marking?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased this one and am hoping it is usable version...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about there. Enjoy your Helios!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I have purchased this one and am hoping it is usable version...

I think it is. What's the extra ring in front of the lens? A screw-in lens cap?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jup, a really solid one that is quite dangerous to the glass if hit by mistake. I rather remove it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't received the lens yet, my friend in Europe that collects my purchases and ships to me has sent me a sample picture. This from the Cyclops in the picture I posted previously. Shot with a Canon. I'm amazed to see virtually no CA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know at what distance the Cyclops reaches infinity?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that philosophical paradox Wink? Anyway if you refer to flange then it's about where every other M42. I am pretty sure it's also easily adjustable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Anyone know at what distance the Cyclops reaches infinity?

Is that philosophical paradox Wink?

Perhaps! Very Happy

I have one of the "bad" versions... and the answer is:
"Right after you hear the mirror crack." Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I either asked the question wrong or you guys are screwing with my head. My 28mm close focus hits infinity at about 10 feet; my 200mm at about 125 feet. Anytime I've tried to measure actual infinity, I've run out of room.

While we're at it, do you know the minimum focus distance of the Cyclops as well? I'm trying to suggest some distances to my friend who is holding my Cyclops so that I can see results of bokeh and focus depth. I'm too eager to wait until I have it. I'm very excited about the wide open (as if I had a choice) performance of the lens having no CA. I also may be playing with it some to determine if I can insert a fixed diaphragm at an ideal aperture - one that would provide the much needed depth while still maintaining the bokeh characteristics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been looking for this lens. Seem very very rare and do not pop up on the bay so often Crying or Very sad