Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to de-noisify a high ISO image?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Best way to de-noisify a high ISO image? Reply with quote

I have a special setup which requires high ISO
setting to get somewhat decent exposure since
I cannot use longer exposure times. This leads to
some chrominance noise I would like to get rid of.
Any idea what might work best?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Noise Ninja plugin in photoshop and it's very useful. You can profile the pictures and choose which kind of noise to reduce (the chroma noise in your case). For the case you won't be using PS, I think there is a standalone version as well.

But for sure there are other tools.Maybe someone else could tell us their opinions.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jes, I have the basic version of it as part of Bibble Pro I'm using - maybe an upgrade would help. I'll have a look into this. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus,
yes Noise Ninja is a very powerful tool, next option is NIK DFine, easy to use, not 100% as Noise Ninja, but worth a try, in my opinion. It's a PS plugin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for NoiseNinja. I do not have it myself, but I was working with it in an office once - excellent results.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Imagenomic's Noiseware Pro. They have "community edition" which is free (requires registration) and has slightly less features.

http://www.imagenomic.com/download.aspx

(It's at the bottom)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Noise Ninja.

You can also decompose the picture in LAB mode, add a heavy Gaussian blur to the A & B channels, eventually sharpen the L channel and then recompose the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turn off your speakers, there will be less noise Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Just turn off your speakers, there will be less noise Laughing

"chrominance noise" ? Not sure which music you were listening to CarbonR.... Wink

@all: thanks, I will try out the various tips given!!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alamy used to recommend running a modest gaussian blur on it in PS and then selecting "fade" and "by color" and fading 100%. It works to some extent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noise ninja pro, and it's excellent for me.
so +1 on it.

But I also like the chroma reduction algorhythm in Lightroom (luminance reduction sucks however)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, another Noise Ninja standalone software user reporting

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using 'neat image', there is a free version which so far has done all I have needed: http://www.neatimage.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Ninja. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me NeatImage - the free version - has produced better results more easily than NoiseNinja. Banding noise is problematic for both - if I need to get rid of some, then I use ImageJ or some such program and use the FFT-method.

Most of the time however, I don't find noise to be a problem, but instead it gives character to the images, way more than the sterile plastic feel the noise reduction programs tend to give.

Btw, the beta version of Lightroom 3 has rather nice chroma noise reduction - much improved over earlier. I recommend to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fan of Noisware Professional plugin for PS.
What I always do with noisreduction:

- I make a layer duplicate
- run the plugin with proper options over above layer
- gum (mask) away the areas where you do not need the denoise effect, especially areas where you need detail.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoiseNinja is great for general photos. NeatImage performs better for me when I'm working on infrareds or other photos that end up suffering from more than the standard camera noise (artifacts, etc). So, I use both.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it is Topaz DeNoise from www.topazlabs.com.

There is a comparision between Topaz DeNoise and others too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Topaz

Nik Dfine is good for some situations too

Topaz seems to retain the most detail but I use Dfine or Noise Ninja for when there is less detail to be preserved like in skies because it gives a smoother look.

Also if you are able to ever take several shots it might be worth looking at photoacute because it can stack the images and then subtract the random noise that is not consistent in each frame and you end up with a much cleaner image, the more frames you add the cleaner the output is. It's a similar method to what is used for restoring old film footage such as the star wars remasters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Ninja and Nik ( Dfine I guess is the name, I'm not at home right now).

I used Nik last time because it worked better ( to my surprise) than Ninja.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest version of Dfine is amazing, it still gets it wrong now and then but when it gets it right, it's ability to tell the difference from noise and detail is astounding, even better than he already impressive previous versions.

I was so disappointed by the noise in raw files even at iso100 with my panny G1 but this software almost totally makes up for it and I can enjoy an otherwise fantastic camera.

I still recommend having more than one type of noise software, some seem to work better for different pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noiseware professional and neatimage. Noiseware is ok.

Have to test ninja and Dfine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to de-noisify a high ISO image? Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have a special setup which requires high ISO
setting to get somewhat decent exposure since
I cannot use longer exposure times. This leads to
some chrominance noise I would like to get rid of.
Any idea what might work best?

Just to double check, the subject is moving in a way which prevents you from using stacking?

You can get pretty creative with stacking if you have to. For example, stacking images from multiple synchronized cameras, or using background masking to stack images where a moving subject is tracked, then rendered as stationary & de-noised, while the background is either replaced or merged into a motion blur.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise reduction engine i Lightroom 3 from Adobe is very very good.

You can download a trial version here and test it out: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I have been using 'neat image', there is a free version which so far has done all I have needed: http://www.neatimage.com/

+1 for Neat Image either standalone or embedded in Elements.