Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The new Pentax K-r
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: The new Pentax K-r Reply with quote

What do you think?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxkr/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is better than K-x and it will be the best low-mid level dslr respect canon, nikon, sony.
About Pentax news I prefer the new DA-L 35/2.4 AL: 200€ Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, really. Especially for MF lenses as the viewfinder gets back the AF confirm and eventually a real good LCD screen.

Not to mention the usual qualities of Pentax: good viewfinder, stabilization on the body (hear usable with MF lenses), good picture quality (despite lower pixel count compared to competition), best choice when it comes to easy compatibility with old gear (micro 4/3 have a broader choice, but it's more complicated to get adapters).

I did go to Canon because I had a Canon SLR and two lenses and bought an additional one, and I must say the 50D is a pretty good deal these days. Now that I'm more into the topic especially the MF lenses, I'm happy with my choice, but if I lost all my gear, I'd really question myself going to Pentax, especially that new body...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some high-ISO samples from the K-r and those were pretty remarkable. Someone downloaded an 100 ISO DNG and overexposed it 8 stops in the Adobe RAW converter, essentially creating an ISO 25600 image. There was hardly any noise in the shadows...

Also, the K-r is the fastest Pentax SLR ever at 6FPS. It is even faster than the K-7, Pentax's current top model. However, on the 20th of September the K-5 will be unveiled and we can be pretty sure it will have 8FPS, but I'm not sure it will have the same high-ISO capabilities as the K-r. In the noise department the current K-7 is pretty bad IMHO (the Canon 50D is not very good either).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
best choice when it comes to easy compatibility with old gear (micro 4/3 have a broader choice, but it's more complicated to get adapters).

Ah, now let's not get carried away, Canon still has way better compatibility e.g. OM, C/Y. Nikon, Prakticar, Exakta, Leica Wink However, the new Pentax is very appealing for crop users with its image stabilisation and decent high ISO performance Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify what is going on with the changes to the battery compartment?

Apparently the K-r comes with a rectangular rechargeable lithium-ion battery, but you can buy an optional adapter to use AAs... The photo from dpreview makes it look like the battery compartment will hold four AAs internally:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/pentaxkr/images/battery1-001.jpg

... but here's the part that puzzles me. The spec sheet at dpreview states the battery life as 470 shots with the D-LI109 rechargeable, and 1000 shots with AAs. If the battery life is over twice as long with AAs, why would anyone want to use the new lithium-ion battery? Question

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Can anyone clarify what is going on with the changes to the battery compartment?

Apparently the K-r comes with a rectangular rechargeable lithium-ion battery, but you can buy an optional adapter to use AAs... The photo from dpreview makes it look like the battery compartment will hold four AAs internally:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/pentaxkr/images/battery1-001.jpg

... but here's the part that puzzles me. The spec sheet at dpreview states the battery life as 470 shots with the D-LI109 rechargeable, and 1000 shots with AAs. If the battery life is over twice as long with AAs, why would anyone want to use the new lithium-ion battery? Question

The 1000 shots with AAs would be with lithium AAs. These are non-rechargeable and fairly pricey. Rechargeable AAs would be less, maybe 300-500 shots per charge, I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom in Delaware wrote:
The 1000 shots with AAs would be with lithium AAs. These are non-rechargeable and fairly pricey. Rechargeable AAs would be less, maybe 300-500 shots per charge, I'm guessing.

I wouldn't think the difference would be that big... For example, Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs are 2900 mAh, and while 2700mAh seems to be the most common, 2900mAh NiMH AA's are also available...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
ylyad wrote:
best choice when it comes to easy compatibility with old gear (micro 4/3 have a broader choice, but it's more complicated to get adapters).

Ah, now let's not get carried away, Canon still has way better compatibility e.g. OM, C/Y. Nikon, Prakticar, Exakta, Leica Wink However, the new Pentax is very appealing for crop users with its image stabilisation and decent high ISO performance Smile

Sorry, my statement was unclear: you have more choice for Canon (but less possibilities than on a micro 4/3), but Pentax offers official support for M42, what Canon doesn't. That's what I meant with "easy compatibility".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by these pics I'm not entirely sure I like the body design on the K-r as well as I like the one on the K-x. It's a bit boxy and I don't like the prism area as much. Looking at them side by side, the bit with the prism rather reminds me a bit of the first SP's design versus the later SPII's. I personally think the SPII is the nicer camera in terms of looks though actually internally they're not all that different. Here though you do have quite a bit of an upgrade under the hood, so design factor notwithstanding the K-r is definitely a superior camera.

Honestly if it was all about "looks" I think I still like the K-x a bit better, but since it's not than yes, I'd probably give the K-r it's due. I'd probably buy that if money wasn't an issue and I could afford it versus the K-x, but that being said, the K-r is a step up money-wise.

The K-x isn't as expensive and it still does most of what I've been wanting a DSLR for very well indeed and since price is a major factor at this point I'd probably just get the K-x for now and upgrade later. In fact I probably will do it that way.

I'm going to need 2 bodies eventually. I figured I'd go with a lower end Canon DSLR first since my Yashica ML lenses and my M42's will both work there. Then as I get more work and more $$$ coming in I'd get the a more expensive Pentax, fill out my Takumars, swap and use the Canon as my backup...

K-x actually might do it for me or a used K-7, and if I can get it for less, than I might still just go that route. K-r and K-5 look great, but they just might be a little pricey for me starting out. They do both look very nice though under the hood and if you can go there why not? Bottom line the mechanics are what counts, but I have to admit I still prefer the K-x even to the K-7 really looks-wise. The only reason I might actually choose the K-7 at some point is because of the weather proofing actually.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-r looks like a very good camera indeed.
I suppose that many K-x users are still happy enough with their still new camera, but I can imagine many users of older Pentax cameras should be attracted by this offer.

Compatibility: IMO Pentax is the best system for M42 ( and K mount ) lenses, period. If you need/want Leica or Contax/Yashica lenses and do not want to modify your lens with Leitax mount, than it's Canon, and of course Pentaqx is not FF!
I have shot many pics with my K-x with a 40 and 50 year old lens wide open and high ISO and e.g. 1/10 sec exposure handheld, something I could do with any other system ( well, Oly yes, but my 50mm becomes a 100mm instead of a 75mm, and high ISO and DR should be better on the APS-C of Pentax too )

Battery: there had always been complaints of people for Pentax cameras using AAs, others loved it for it ( including me )
great that Pentax fund a way to cater to both camps!
I got over 1000 shots with my AA Eneloop recharables on *istDs, slightly less but still around 1000 on the K-x
before buying eneloops I had used other rechargables with 2700 mAh and they performed very badly, the 2100 mAh Eneloops do great!

the new f2.4/35mm lens: Pentax has been selling a lot of K-x and though the stock lens it came with is a rather good one, Pentax so far has not been offering cheap primes. I hope this is the first of a 'cheap' Pentax primes line, 35mm is a good start. And it comes in all the crazy colors too Wink http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-r/simulator.php#020404

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Kuuan the Eneloops are they way to go especially for the K200D..my energizer rechargeables just don't work.
This Kr would have tempted me more than the K-x...but I am happy with the K200D as it has the focus confirmation red square as well as the green focus dot.(I might have them around the wrong way Embarassed )
I don't mind the boxy viewfinder area it reminds me of the original style Pentax's.It does look like they have enlarged the viewfinder itself?

magkelly...you may have an abundant choices of used K-x's coming onto the market when this Kr comes out!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
.Especially for MF lenses as the viewfinder gets back the AF confirm and eventually a real good LCD screen.

mo wrote:
I agree Kuuan the Eneloops are they way to go especially for the K200D..my energizer rechargeables just don't work.
This Kr would have tempted me more than the K-x...but I am happy with the K200D as it has the focus confirmation red square as well as the green focus dot.(I might have them around the wrong way Embarassed )
I don't mind the boxy viewfinder area it reminds me of the original style Pentax's.It does look like they have enlarged the viewfinder itself?

magkelly...you may have an abundant choices of used K-x's coming onto the market when this Kr comes out!!

I am not sure if you, Mo, too had misunderstood what's 'missing' in the K-x, ylyad looks like he had.

Focus confirmation, both the green hexagon and the peep sound are present in the K-x too.
It is the red indicators which say which of the focus points for AF is 'turned on' and which flash when in focus which are missing in the K-x

so the K-x does not have anything missing that makes it less useable as a manual focus camera!
but in AF mode the auto focus point chosen can not be seen, which makes most users choose center point, focus center point and then recompose

actually I like the looks of the K-r, looks more rugged to me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Focus confirmation, both the green hexagon and the peep sound are present in the K-x too.
It is the red indicators which say which of the focus points for AF is 'turned on' and which flash when in focus which are missing in the K-x

so the K-x does not have anything missing that makes it less useable as a manual focus camera!
but in AF mode the auto focus point chosen can not be seen, which makes most users choose center point, focus center point and then recompose

Thanks Kuuan for making it clearer Very Happy I made bold what I think is the main point in the quote above...no matter what Pentax you choose I am sure you will love it... Very Happy It is good to see the small changes on all the newer cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comparison between K-r, K-x and K-7

For me the worse things are: no weather resistant and pentamirror instead pentaprism.
The best things: continuos shooting speed (if you need it), 2 kinds of battery, performance of sensor at high ISO (if it is the same of K-x) and new Safox IX (the next pentax best camera, K-5, will has Safox IX+ with 18 AF points selectionable)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

I am not sure if you, Mo, too had misunderstood what's 'missing' in the K-x, ylyad looks like he had.

actually I like the looks of the K-r, looks more rugged to me

Thanks for the precision (I knew it Wink ), but not knowing where focus is made is a pity, and centered point is workable only in certain situations.

On batteries, I personally think that the solution proposed by Pentax on this body is a truly good idea. Having high-quality batteries even proprietary provided with the body is a must-have but AA batteries can be found virtually everywhere in the world, saving the need for spare batteries...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellepi wrote:
A comparison between K-r, K-x and K-7

For me the worse things are: no weather resistant and pentamirror instead pentaprism.
The best things: continuos shooting speed (if you need it), 2 kinds of battery, performance of sensor at high ISO (if it is the same of K-x) and new Safox IX (the next pentax best camera, K-5, will has Safox IX+ with 18 AF points selectionable)

I'd love to have the pentaprism and weather sealing, but Pentax is reserving that for their top models, which is understandable.
One simply will have to get the K-5 for that.

from first samples it seems that high ISO is improved over K-x for about 1 stop. ( I am sure member 'Spotmatic' could qualify that better )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ylyad"]
kuuan wrote:

Thanks for the precision (I knew it Wink ), but not knowing where focus is made is a pity, and centered point is workable only in certain situations...

oh, sorry.
you said specially for MF you welcome them, I do not understand how the red AF indicators would be of much relevance when using manual focus lenses though

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

oh, sorry.
you said specially for MF you welcome them, I do not understand how the red AF indicators would be of much relevance when using manual focus lenses though

(I use a Canon with chipped adapter, maybe on Pentax it's different but I doubt it)
Because when I'm turning the focus ring, I use the dot to identify when focus is OK. And on portraits for example, while turning the focus blinks several times (focus on nose, on eyes, on ears, on hairs, etc.) and it's important to know where focus is made to stop turning. And with large aperture and therefore small depth of field, focusing on center point and re-composing is "risky" and might lead to loss of focus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AF points sound useful the way you describe it.
I do not know if the AF indicators are 'on' on a Pentax when using MF, I doubt it but will have to verify that. I would think that choosing the spot where to focus, focusing on it with the viewfinder's split screen and recompose would be the more precise method, but I have not tried what you describe and it must be interesting how it compares.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I do not know if the AF indicators are 'on' on a Pentax when using MF, I doubt it but will have to verify that.

When using MF on Pentax bodies the only thing you have to make sure of is that the AF contact on the camera mount is shortened (usually by a tiny piece of foil or the lens itself), no need for chipped adapters. You then get two lights in the vf: the green hexagon that signals focus confirm, and the center AF point, which is the only AF point active with manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the red center af point on my K200D as well as the geen button indicator.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that using split screen would be more precise, but my wife wouldn't accept it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: K\r ISO test shots - jepg noise reduction off Reply with quote

today I had some 7 or 8 minutes with a K-r and it's 18-55 stock lens..in a shop in Kyoto.
I am VERY impressed, it seems to be quite a bit more 'snappy', specially AF, than my K-x. But this is purely personal impression without any fact! and my only AF experience with the K-x is with a Sigma 17-70 lens.

I had inserted my SD card and made a few fast test shots. Of course, since I was in a hurry - on the way home after a long day out I had to convince my friend to wait 10 minutes for me while I hoped into the store - I had forgotten to check if it was set to jpeg or RAW, only after uploading the test shots to my computer I saw that it is jepgs and noise reduction set to 'off' ( and I have no idea if that means still noise reduction applied anyway or not )

here the results straight out of the camera:
ISO 200 ( lowest ISO setting if not set to 'expanded ISO )

original size: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/9177361/sizes/o

ISO 3200:

100%crop:

full image original size: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/9177363/sizes/o

ISO 6400:

100%crop:

full image original size: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/9177365/sizes/o

ISO 12800:

100% crop:

full image original size: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/9177367/sizes/o

ISO 25000 ( expanded ISO ):

100% crop:
full image original size: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/9177368/sizes/o

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice design, the K-r in white have the look Star Wars!
Very Happy