Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OK, so maybe I AM interested in a digital SLR ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Canon or Pentax..try to get hold of the cameras and find out which one handles better for you.

I can recommend the *istDs ( and *istD, K100, KM - the *ist having better viewfinder, the K models having Image stabilisation ) and Canons are indicated if you want to use C/Y and Leica Bajonett and don't want to modify the lens. For M42 I'd recommend Pentax.

for me a fixed lens digital camera and a dSLR are very different beast, the small sensor fixed lens camera will not allow to play with shallow depth of field and lack in high ISO performance. For daytime, holiday kind of shooting the bridge / fixed lenght could be the better choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
for me a fixed lens digital camera and a dSLR are very different beast, the small sensor fixed lens camera will not allow to play with shallow depth of field and lack in high ISO performance. For daytime, holiday kind of shooting the bridge / fixed lenght could be the better choice.

Don't forget about the large sensor fixed lens digital cameras. Wink

Sigma DP1/DP1s/DP1x (28mm f4)
Sigma DP2/DP2s (41mm f2.8 )
Ricoh GXR/A12 (50mm f2.5)
Leica X1 (35mm f2.8 )

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex, I love film. I love the mystery of it. I always will ...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
I also went the Canon route, with a 10D, for the reasons already mentioned. It's well built, rugged and solid enough to make you realise how plasticky the consumer models feel, and it easily takes most of the Zeiss CY lens range (and their Yashica cousins) via a readily available adapter. In fact, mounting my Planars and Distagons was the reason I went for it. It takes about two or three seconds to wake up from the ON switch, but I can live with that. Pixel count is 6.3Mp, and I've never felt the need to go for more. It also takes M42 lenses via a similar adapter. Currently going for half what I paid on the second-hand market.

I agree, the 10D is a great camera. I've had mine since they were first released (2003?) but Canon don't produce interchangeable screens for it. I've recently found and ordered a split screen for it on eBay from a third party manufacturer so I'm hoping it works OK when it arrives. I hate to think what I paid for the 10D when new compared to their price now secondhand!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw one on ebay for $150 ...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Canon user, but for Fish who plans to stay with M42, I think that Pentax is a better option for crop format DSLR, for the following three reasons:

1- generally sturdier build of Pentax cameras compared to Canon

2- better viewfinder

3- presence of in-camera image stabilization

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to buy now, I must admit I like the looks of Pentax k-x - in black, of course ...

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
If I had to buy now, I must admit I like the looks of Pentax k-x - in black, of course ...

I'd consider a red Kx, but then I'd have to paint all my lenses...

[On an old thread at pentaxforums.com someone did just that, painted a couple lenses red to match their Kx -- a non-trivial exercise, it was.]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: K100D Reply with quote

i own this and have Only 2 AF lenses that came with it used in Jan '09 for $390 as the full kit. I have less than 100 MF lenses of all makes and models, yes I know LBA=Lens Buying Addiction. Wives do help cure this but.....
Anyway back on track, the K100D is a stellar performer with MF lenses and I do use a number of M42 lenses. It will give you focus assist on a rainy, cloudy day from oh f8 on to wide open. On a sunny day f32, f64? no limit as yet even with my 800 mm f8. With fancier lenses such as those that have the lever on them or Tamron Adaptall ones it has stop down focusing and will close the aperture for you when you shoot. It is stingy with my AA batteries and likes NiMh just fine. Uses the SDHC cards, I shoot in RAW and to I only get around 180 to 200 frames per 2 Gig card. Too many to think about on a 8 gig. Oh yeah, it also helps with aperture settings on M42 and you can shoot Av, Tv, crippled Program, manual or bulb or even remote control. Definately should be able to buy a body only for around $200 +or- Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that the slightly larger sensor Will give better resolution than a slightly smaller sensor. It is a bit like film. Medium format gives better resolution at a slower film speed in the same light than 110. ISO speeds on a digital still relate to the amount of light hitting the sensor from a given lens. Sensors come in a lot of sizes, many more than film, with interchangeable lens cameras starting at 2X "crop"(1/2 size of 35 film) up to most common 1.6 "crop", 1.5,1.3 then FF(full 35 mm film frame). The bigger the sensor the higher the camera cost(usually, varies by company) because they get less sensors from a wafer of semiconductor. Of course there are more considerations in a camera price than just the sensor but there also more considerations in maintenance of a digital camera than the sensor. A larger FF DSLR may mean more parts can be serviced but you also have the question of the part availability. I didn't buy a Canon DSLR not only due to the prices but the rapid obsolescence of models coupled with the extremely high price of fast AF lenses coupled with problems with adapters for my manual lenses. I was faced with buying everything again or changing brands. Since I owned lenses related to Pentax it seemed a logical choice. M42 adapters are inexpensive for all brands but with Pentax the lenses always seem to work without problems. I still wish so much that I could afford the change to a Canon full frame sensor but it can't happen due to the lens problem. I hope this helps you get an understanding of digital to help in your choice. A C Wilson

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Ex, I love film. I love the mystery of it. I always will ...

When i started photo, it was film all the way, and i had no intention whatsover to switch to digital.

But it would be stupid, at least in my opinion, not taking advantage of the new technology, and i am more that happy with my 5D. I take pleasure in shooting both, in different purposes ... in fact it depends on my mood.

So my advice would be if you shoot film, and go for a aps-c sensor, it's a go down in terms of viewfinder brightness and image field coverage. i recommand to buy a FF body, even if you pay the price, you'll keep it for years, and your lenses will have the same field of view. Just my way of shooting Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
So my advice would be if you shoot film, and go for a aps-c sensor, it's a go down in terms of viewfinder brightness and image field coverage. i recommand to buy a FF body, even if you pay the price, you'll keep it for years, and your lenses will have the same field of view. Just my way of shooting Cool

My 130€ *istDS (or my slightly more expensive *istD) has a perfectly nice viewfinder with a bright pentaprism, better than most other APS-C bodies, and the Pentax eyepiece magnifier makes it even larger. Granted, the ST605n vf is better, but that does not mean I miss it when I'm shooting the DSLRs.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Just bought a K100d Reply with quote

I just purchased a K100d body and M42 adapter for my screw mount lenses. I decided that film was getting too difficult to process (water, chemicals, disposal, scanning or enlarging, etc.) The camera should arrive today. A factory refurbished model priced at $224 seemed reasonable to get back to my old lens use.

This will be a dedicated camera to the lenses, since I already have a couple of very adequate bridge FinePix cameras for daily all-around use.

Does anyone who owns this camera have tips or tricks for me?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a K100d Reply with quote

Probably the best tip is, get a split focusing screen. Enjoy a great camera!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a K100d Reply with quote

faxonpr wrote:
A factory refurbished model priced at $224 seemed reasonable to get back to my old lens use.

Just curious - where did you find the factory refurb for that price?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: "OK, so maybe I AM interested in a digital SLR ... Reply with quote

I got the camera online from Best Buy as a refurb. It is in excellent shape, not a scratch on it. No memory card, though, so I'll get one today.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the aftermarket split image focusing screens for these. I see some sellers warning not to use the Minolta-type that fit due to the thickness.

Also, what about the magnifying eyepiece? It looks like a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "OK, so maybe I AM interested in a digital SLR ... Reply with quote

faxonpr wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the aftermarket split image focusing screens for these. I see some sellers warning not to use the Minolta-type that fit due to the thickness.

I have an EC-B screen from focusingscreen.com and it works great, no shim required on the *istD.

Quote:
Also, what about the magnifying eyepiece? It looks like a good idea.

The Pentax one is nice, not a huge lot of difference but makes the screen somewhat larger. I would not get it though if you use glasses.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: OK, so maybe I AM interested in a digital SLR ... Reply with quote

My k100d is working out much better than I hoped! I bought it to use exclusively for thread mount lenses. Now I can easily use my old m42s that have been stuck in camera bags for years and years. Aperture priority sets the shutter speed automatically, like my ES (well, without open metering) and the focus assist on the manual lenses improves my focusing ability. I used my 500mm cad lens, hand held with shake reduction, and got a decent shot of an American Goldfinch on my feeder yesterday. It needs a bit of sharpening, but still not bad in my opinion. I'll use a tripod next time, obviously.

Today I am using the 50mm. 1.4 for the whole day. I may wish for a wider angle lens when I try it, because my widest is the 28mm. I never got into the wider angles due to their cost in those days.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear that you enjoy your Pentax K100D

since you already are doing it I guess these links come a bit late, but there is talking about the settings to be used:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=24921509
http://www.techtheman.com/2007/09/setup-with-pentax-m42-mount-lens.html

Both the eyepiece enlarger ( original Pentax, see: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469574-REG/Pentax_30150_O_ME53_Magnifying_Eyecup.html and a split focus screen ( both a cheap chinese one on my Pentax *istDs and the expensive Katz Eye that I had been given for my K-x did need 'calibrating' = inserting of spacers to be precise though ) are useful and recommendable!

let's see some photos taken with the f1.4/50 and the 28mm ( I should use a 28mm more often myself, the 42mm it makes is very close what fixed lens rangefinders ideal for street photography used to have )

for wider, good but not too dear I'd recommend 17mm Tokina resp. Vivitar, 20mm Mir and 24mm Vivitar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
On ebay there are many used Nikon dslrs, followed by Canon in number. Very, very few Pentaxes ...

Quality not quantity Smile

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: K100D Reply with quote

kacansas03 wrote:

Anyway back on track, the K100D is a stellar performer with MF lenses and I do use a number of M42 lenses.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so maybe I AM interested in a digital SLR ... Reply with quote

faxonpr wrote:
My k100d is working out much better than I hoped! I bought it to use exclusively for thread mount lenses. Now I can easily use my old m42s that have been stuck in camera bags for years and years. Aperture priority sets the shutter speed automatically, .........

what could I possibly add ? Smile
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so maybe I AM interested in a digital SLR ... Reply with quote

Transit wrote:

what could I possibly add ? Smile
Pete

some photos taken with this preset f3.5/135 Takumar from the late 50s, which is not only a beauty but also a truly great performer!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh all right Smile
This is a huge crop, on extension tubes, in the wind Smile
This puppy is such a joy to use. I set the preset stop, focus wide open, close her down with the silky smooth second ring and shoot.