Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon FM series: What can you tell me?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Nikon FM series: What can you tell me? Reply with quote

In looking for recommendations of a pitbull-tough camera, the Nikon FM series has come up repeatedly, and prices on ebay are great.

What say you guys? I have no idea which lens series works on 'em, but again, the prices are m42-ish.

If I go that route, I will sell all of my M42 stuff - including my beloved SP1000 - to fund a body and lens ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon FM series: What can you tell me? Reply with quote

Sounds pretty drastic. Shocked

Instead of an FM and the hassle of selling & re-purchasing your entire lens collection, why not pick up a Pentax K1000? It has a fully mechanical design (save for the meter), and the same legendary durability/reliability.

It would also give you significantly more flexibility for lenses, as you could use both K-mount lenses as well as your existing M42 lenses via the adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon FM series: What can you tell me? Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Sounds pretty drastic. Shocked

Instead of an FM and the hassle of selling & re-purchasing your entire lens collection, why not pick up a Pentax K1000? It has a fully mechanical design (save for the meter), and the same legendary durability/reliability.

It would also give you significantly more flexibility for lenses, as you could use both K-mount lenses as well as your existing M42 lenses via the adapters.

+1 keep M42 ones and buy it if you are curious about Nikon with one lens and decide it later. Nikon made wonderful cameras and lenses indeed, but many M42 lens is equal with them. I love really my Nikon FA and with 20mm f2.8 AIS pretty unbeatable. I didn't love much my Spotmatics I sold them all, I kept Fujica 801 ST as main M42 camera.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for an FM2 camera & lens that i won on the bay few days ago, for a decent price, 87£. i love this camera look and it seems like a long live one, it can work without battery, all mechanical, and shutter is to last forever. I'll say hi here where i have it Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell the M42 stuff either, as an FM2n can be bought off eBay for EUR 150 (I did). That's an almost bullet-proof camera, with solid all-mechanical controls and dials.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a FM2 New, it was my first 35mm camera.
I consider it the best film manual camera that exists.
Only manual controls, but you have everything that you need: 1/4000 fast shutter time, depth of field preview, large bright viewfinder, posibility of double exposure.
Only the meter works with the battery, everything else is fully manual so you can keep shooting also with a dead battery.
It is also the perfect camera for a student to learn photography.
And old manual Nikkors are top quality and most of them outrageously low price - best price-quality ratio in the used market.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
And old manual Nikkors are top quality and most of them outrageously low price - best price-quality ratio in the used market.

Shocked We must live on different planets...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Orio wrote:

Just browse Ebay I think it is available for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to go the FM route and you want the 1/4000 sec. shutter speed of the FM2, get the FM2n cuz it has 1/250 second flash sync whereas the FM2's is "only" 1/200.

Keep in mind, however, that neither flavor of the FM2 will allow pre-AI Nikkor lenses to be mounted without risking damage to the aperture coupling ring, or breaking it. The original FM will permit the mounting of the earlier (and much cheaper) lenses, which can be metered with using the stop down method.

While the FM-series cameras are quite rugged, they are not what I would describe as "pitbull-tough cameras." The bulletproof Nikons are the F and F2 and the Nikkormats. Of these, I prefer the F2, which IMNSHO is one of the finest mechanical cameras ever made, and considerably more rugged than the FM-series.

One of the pluses of converting to Nikon is that, whether FM-series or F2 (but not the Nikkormats), good motor drives are available. If you elect to stick with Pentax, this isn't really much of an option. THe K-1000 has no motor option. Similar K cameras -- the K2 and KX, for example, were each available as MD-capable cameras, but they are relatively rare and the MDs are also rare and rather leisurely performers.

If motor drives are not important however, and if you might still consider staying with Pentax, my own personal favorite K-camera is the KX. All mechanical except for the meter, match needle metering, mirror lock up. Very rugged, the KX is an evolution of the earlier Spotmatic cameras, one of the original photographic workhorses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM series are wonderful cameras but, as mentioned, they are not as
physically rugged as, say the Nikkormat models. But, they have better
meters and better ergonomics I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
Orio wrote:

It is, but shipping from the US or Europe adds a substantial amount to the cost. Neutral Shipping is cheaper from Australia, but the lens prices are higher - so it is often the same to buy from either place. Neutral Lens prices here in NZ are very high... probably +50% over foreign prices from what I can see.

Maybe we just have different definitions of "outrageously low price". Wink I know there are plenty of Canon FD lenses in that category, but I have never heard anyone describe Nikkors with those words. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Attila wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
Orio wrote:

It is, but shipping from the US or Europe adds a substantial amount to the cost. Neutral Shipping is cheaper from Australia, but the lens prices are higher - so it is often the same to buy from either place. Neutral Lens prices here in NZ are very high... probably +50% over foreign prices from what I can see.

Maybe we just have different definitions of "outrageously low price". Wink I know there are plenty of Canon FD lenses in that category, but I have never heard anyone describe Nikkors with those words. Wink

I've seen them sell for as little as $10, but you can always get something in $20-40 range.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A facet of the FM series that is especially intriguing is the easy availability of eyepiece diopters. I quickly found a new one on ebay to fit my right eye, all of $15. The older I get the more important this feature gets ... Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a REALLY rugged camera that you can just about hammer nails with - try a Canon FTbn, match needle metering, all mechanical shutter speeds AND excellent partial metering. Easy film loading too. Obtainable in either so called chrome or Henry Ford black.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear your pain scheimp! Very Happy
Bold step Paul...it will be interesting to see what you do. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider a Noink to be more rugged than an SP1000.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't, either, Martin, but the ease of swapping in diopters as I age ... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the Canon QL feature but alas, no diopters ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I do like the Canon QL feature but alas, no diopters ...

By QL I'm assuming you're referring specifically to the FT-series, the FTb being the most useful of them -- and a great camera it is.

I just measured my FTbn's and AE-1 Program's viewfinder windows with a set of dial calipers, and they are the same dimensions for all practical intents and purposes. So this means you can use diopters intended for the A-series cameras on an FT-series. Like this one, for example:

Click here to see on Ebay

Unfortunately, when one uses an A-series diopter, one loses the ability to mount an eyecup. Perhaps a minor annoyance, perhaps not.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, thank you so much for that info. That throws the Canon luddite bodies into the mix ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of Canon - and while at it, why not Konica? - is the orphan mounts and plentiful supply.
The advantage of Nikon FM/FE - not the '2 models - is they are forward and backward compatible in the Nikon mount world. I have the FE and it really is a beautifully made camera.

Versus Pentax, the faster old glass is cheaper, especially in the wider and longer extremes, where the supply for Pentax just isn't there. But then, for Pentax, whether M42 or K, is there's a good supply of 3rd party lenses... although you can say that for Nikon as well.

The FE is much nicer made than the SP1000. But Pentax does have the KX which is really nice.

Also, consider the digital future, and adaptability of mf lenses to whatever digital body you get.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570,

I have been following this thread and gave it some thoughts.

First of all, let us assume that a Nikon FM(2) has a rugged body better than the ones you have. If you want one because of this fact, and willing to dispose of your existing equipment, it means you would be committed to the Nikon system, as the thicker body would not allow "foreign" lenses to fit and operate correctly, unless you are prepared to put up with certain compromises. Whether you want to go this route or not entirely depends on your priorities: would you be happy to settle for Nikon lenses and no "foreign" lenses?

Second, the Nikon FM(2) is indeed a rugged camera but I do not think it is any more so than a screw-mount Pentax; the advantage is that it takes modern batteries and capable of taking a motordrive. By the way, I would favour a late FM (without the kurled collar around the shutter release) and MD-12 rather than MD-11; it will pay dividend; trust me.

Now, if instead you are thinking of adding a Nikon body so as to access Nikon lenses to your arsenal, and you do really want to get the toughest body at a sensible price, I feel that a Nikkormat FT2 would be the sweet spot. Reasons:

The Nikkormat FT2 is fully mechanical and employs a Copal Square shutter which is known to be bulletproof; and you can indeed feel the sheer amount of metal in it. Unlike the more iconic FTN it uses modern battery, making it easy to live with.

Why FT2 but not FT3? I have a black FT3 in very nice condition, it works well and cost me the equivalence of US$40-something. It is Ai but with disengageable coupling for non-Ai lenses. But if you want to access Nikon lenses, your options would be far greater with the FT2: as long as the lens has the rabbit's ears coupling prong, you're good to go and the camera functions to full capacity, no need to care about Ai, AiS or no Ai at all. For me, the Nikon lenses I have are all Ai/AiS/Ai-converted, and also with a Series E without the coupling prong, so the FT3 makes more sense.

Of course, YMMV, but this might be worth a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the advice. The diopter thing is what had me going.
Alas, my bride reminded me today that our new vision care insurance plan at work goes into effect in October. I think new glasses or contacts will fix me up pretty well.
I much like my SP1000 and the M42 mount.
If I were to switch systems, I would get a normal lens and a fast-ish 35 or 28 or 24 ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570,

By the way: the FM/FE dioptre correction lenses also fit the Nikkormat as well; no problem there.