Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses with Internal Masking/Baffling?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Lenses with Internal Masking/Baffling? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any insight into why some lenses have internal masking/baffling, and some do not? Question If the baffles were beneficial, why wouldn't all lenses use them?

For example, here is the rear of my Minolta TELE ROKKOR-QD 300mm f5.6:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I saw it in the macro hexanon 3,5 lens. I don't know why same yes and some not.

Interesant design question.

Rino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, interesting.
I'd like to know, too.
The Angenieux 35-70mm and 70-210mm both have this design and I too was wondering why ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, it seems as though some of the Tamron Adaptall adapters used the baffles as well.. so for Tamron, it wasn't something that they selected for specific lenses, it was something that they selected for specific mounts (camera brands).

Adaptall for MD:

Adaptall for PK:

The Pentax one is a funky shape... I wonder why they didn't mask the full rectangle?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is to calibrate aperture where lens without baffle would throw more light than aperture setting. for me this explains crop dslr "metering problems" requiring exposure offsets with mf lenses. the different shapes on the tamron adapters may accommodate meter photocell position in mirror box in Pentax K/M.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, lens manifacturers put them to improve against internal reflections which increases contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
my guess is to calibrate aperture where lens without baffle would throw more light than aperture setting. for me this explains crop dslr "metering problems" requiring exposure offsets with mf lenses.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by the first part?

voe wrote:
AFAIK, lens manifacturers put them to improve against internal reflections which increases contrast.

That would certainly make sense. But then I wonder why they don't put them in all lenses? Question

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
siriusdogstar wrote:
my guess is to calibrate aperture where lens without baffle would throw more light than aperture setting. for me this explains crop dslr "metering problems" requiring exposure offsets with mf lenses.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by the first part?

baffle masks the image circle projected by the lens where full image circle projected into the mirror box would cause too high meter reading.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

voe wrote:

That would certainly make sense. But then I wonder why they don't put them in all lenses? Question

That old bugbear - cost. Fwiw, my Tamron Pentax adapters don't have the baffle shown above - I suppose they found that most people didn't know or notice or care, so they cut the cost of making them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another curiosity I stumbled across today:

It's the Nikon 55mm f3.5 Micro-NiKKOR. It looks like they gave it a partial baffle, yet punched out a circular portion in the center for clearance around the rear element.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe wrote:

+1
The mask blockea the light that is not used and can cause internal reflections.
It depends of what camera and not, of what lens.
Greetings Smile