Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blackbird Fly 35mm TLR (Lomo / toy)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Blackbird Fly 35mm TLR (Lomo / toy) Reply with quote

I stumbled across this today and thought you folks would get a kick out of it. Very Happy

It's called the "Blackbird Fly", and it is a small plastic TLR which uses 35mm film for cheaper (and more convenient) processing. It's being marketed toward the "Lomo" crowd. Prices are around US $120.

Specifications:
• Colors: a whole bunch
• Lens: f7 33mm
• Shutter speed: 1/125 & Bulb
• Aperture: f7 (cloudy) f11 (sunny)
• Focus: Visual distance estimated measurement (0.8/1.5/2/2.5/3/4/5/10/∞)
• Weight: Body/210g., Case/ 130g.
• Film type: 135 (35mm) film
• Camera type: 35mm twin lens reflex
• Formats: Normal (24x36mm), Square (24x24mm), Full (36x36mm - covers sprockets)
• Can take multiple exposures
• optional flash

More information:
http://blackbirdflycamera.com/
http://www.superheadz.com/bbf/
http://www.japantrendshop.com/blackbird-fly-tlr-camera-p-366.html

Last edited by Scheimpflug on Mon May 31, 2010 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it so much !!!

Very much!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the blackbird fly is very cute, but at $120, Shocked that is no "toy" price when first class used 35mm slr bodies and lenses can be had for same.
Make the price $12, then it is a toy ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For half that price, you can grab a Lubitel and some film.

While also labelled "Lomography", the Lubi has at least decent lens, aperture and speed selection. And some have even modded it to take 35mm film !

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Holga's are pretty cool. Plastic toy camera. But the prices are reasonable. Medium format 120 camera is around $25, and the TLR is around $50.
They are getting very popular "cult status". Plus people are modding these cameras.

I have one on my to buy list. Man, that list is getting long. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I think the blackbird fly is very cute, but at $120, Shocked that is no "toy" price when first class used 35mm slr bodies and lenses can be had for same.

+1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a fad thing: it's supposed to be cool to use cheap (and crappy) cameras to take pictures, so much so they are willing to pay heaps of money for them.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud anything that will get people buying more film. And since lomography is marketed towards a younger crowd, maybe us film-users will have a few more years before it becomes entirely impractical.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holga pricing above is with shipping. Check out this site selling modified Holga's.
http://www.holgamods.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I applaud anything that will get people buying more film. And since lomography is marketed towards a younger crowd, maybe us film-users will have a few more years before it becomes entirely impractical.

+1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly they would get people to use film, but they also give the novices the idea that film give terrible image quality as well!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Certainly they would get people to use film, but they also give the novices the idea that film give terrible image quality as well!

+1 too. But who like Holga those people have serious eye issues Laughing Laughing
so no matter Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

+1

That is truly an apples to oranges comparison.

The Blackbird Fly is lighter, smaller, and as a TLR is a completely different style of shooting. Other than the common fact that they both take pictures, neither is really a substitute for the other. Wink

Jieffe wrote:

While also labelled "Lomography", the Lubi has at least decent lens, aperture and speed selection. And some have even modded it to take 35mm film !

Interesting, I had never heard of the Lubi. It looks like with the 35mm conversions, the film must be taken out of the camera and manually rewound into the canister (all in a dark bag)... have you seen any conversions that are more user friendly?

walter g wrote:
The Holga pricing above is with shipping. Check out this site selling modified Holga's.
http://www.holgamods.com/

Looks like the modified Holgas also require a dark bag & manual film rewinding...

Seele wrote:

I doubt it... Most people only buy the Lomo cameras because they are after a specific look that they have seen and liked. That look is popular, so the subjective "terrible image quality" that we see doesn't really apply. Wink

For young people now, disposable cameras make up the bulk of their experience with film, not Lomo. And the medium quality disposables coupled with poor processing and miserable scans likely has much much more to do with film's poor reputation with young people than anything else.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about reviving the Kodak Brownie for the 2012 Olympics
http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/04/12/kodak-brownie-revived-for-the-2012-olympics/

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly awful looking cameras. I might buy one, in pink. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Interesting, I had never heard of the Lubi. It looks like with the 35mm conversions, the film must be taken out of the camera and manually rewound into the canister (all in a dark bag)... have you seen any conversions that are more user friendly?

The mod with a rewind crank is mentionned in one of Flickr's forum but the pictures are gone (user deleted).
I remember my Photosniper kit came with 2 re-usable 35mm canisters. Maybe they can be used as take-up spool and avoid the changing bag/darkroom annoyance ?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Design for the Kodak looks funny, but should be rejected. There is no film in it!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:

I was given a Lubitel 2 so I thought I'd run one film through it expecting the Lomo style soft images and vignetting. None of it! But is does have a light leak Sad My guess is the red film number hole and rotten foam light seals are the culprits. I am taking it and two rolls of film to the US with me tomorrow to play some more.

K.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Blackbird Fly 35mm TLR (Lomo / toy) Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
I stumbled across this today and thought you folks would get a kick out of it. Very Happy

It's called the "Blackbird Fly", and it is a small plastic TLR which uses 35mm film for cheaper (and more convenient) processing. It's being marketed toward the "Lomo" crowd. Prices are around US $120.

imghtttp://blackbirdflycamera.vinoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/blackbird-fly-camera.jpgspoiler img

I'm getting a "WMF Exploit" warning from that pic link.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Blackbird Fly 35mm TLR (Lomo / toy) Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I'm getting a "WMF Exploit" warning from that pic link.

Good to know! Shocked

I've removed the image from the first post, so feel free to remove the link from yours.

What software of yours found this, by the way? Did the browser give you the warning?