Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unusual Optical Fixture?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Unusual Optical Fixture? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the original purpose of this fixture?

It has one huge lens element and one small lens element, both on a long set of sliding tracks. There is a geared knob which will move the small lens over a very small range, and the small and large lenses are linked together such that they both move together (but at different rates). The whole assembly is very heavy (16 lbs / 7.25 kg) and extremely sturdy. At the end, there is a universal iris diaphragm, a metal plate with a medium-sized circular hole, and then a pair of two moveable bars which open/close on parallel tracks behind it. Everything is lever operated, spring loaded, etc, and built like it would be used frequently.

Any thoughts on what this fixture might have been used for? Question

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a thread over at APUG to get this in front of a few more eyes. We'll see if anyone over there recognizes its purpose. Wink

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/97341-unusual-optical-fixture.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put my Googling skills to good use (I hope). But I'm almost 100% sure that this was part of an optical bench, which was used to experiment with optics. Just do a Google image search on "optical bench" and you'll see that I'm right Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iris looks rather burnt, so I would guess it was once part of some special illumination system (two condensor lenses, one big, one small) and behind is an adjustable slit, so maybe that was for some optical experiments (school, university) on optics?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved on the APUG thread. It's from a carbon arc theater spotlight. Cool Klaus, you were very close!

I've done a bunch of searching based on this, and I'm thinking this assembly may be from a "Strong" brand carbon arc spotlight:

(image from: http://blog.huntingtontheatre.org/2008/09/strong-carbon-arc-spotlight.html)

It has the same red knobs, in the same locations, and with the same knurled adjustment knob as well. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to see if it can direct light the other way, too. Tape a camera behind that aperture and see what you get!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Time to see if it can direct light the other way, too. Tape a camera behind that aperture and see what you get!

Absolutely. Laughing Any guesses as to the focal length? I'm predicting a lot of flare from the open-chassis design. Laughing

I bought this assembly purely for the universal iris diaphragm... you might recognize them from this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/universal-diaphragm-lens-holder-the-ultimate-weapon-t4403.html

But of course, I can't let these other parts go to waste! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that thread. So when you put a lens in the diaphragm and tighten it, does it clamp well enough to allow lens focusing? Will the iris wear our over time from clamping down on lens mounts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think generally people use them with non-focusing lenses (enlarger, medium/large format, etc), and then focus them with bellows... But the iris seems reasonably durable. I wouldn't mount anything *too* heavy in it, but it seems fine otherwise. It's really just a catch-all device for the unusual lenses... not something to use every day. Time will tell how well it holds up. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more info:

The small lens is biconvex, and measures about 2 inches / 50mm in diameter.
The huge lens is plano-convex, and measures about 7 inches / 175mm in diameter.

I don't have any infinitely long rooms in my house, so I can't measure the infinity focus just yet. Very Happy But focusing on a light source about 14 feet / 4.25 meters away, the small lens focuses at around 60mm, and the huge lens focuses at around 15 inches / 380mm.

Together in the fixture, the assembly focuses pretty much right at the aperture. The aperture is on a fixed (welded) bracket, so mounting a camera will be difficult. Neutral Holding a sheet of paper over the aperture though, I can focus an image pretty easily. The zoom range is quite large, but the combined focal length actually isn't that long, even at the far end. Certainly less than the 300mm lens I have handy to compare it to. I will have to make some more precise measurements to figure it out for sure.