Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: 5D Mark II lens compatibility chart Reply with quote

See in excel here

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pBlK6fBzNbwctiFxajJJvQQ&hl=en

hi,
I open this thread to list compatibilities of manual focus lenses with the new EOS 5D Mark II camera.
Everybody who owns or has used the camera is invited to take part by submitting their experiences.
For every lens, the following questions need to be answered:

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? (YES/NO)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES no problem/YES with problems (specify problems)/NO no picture is taken)

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? (YES no problem/YES with problems (specify problems)/NO no picture is taken)

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? (YES (specify max.distance/NO)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (which seller it comes from)

Let's make a chart as comprehensive as possible.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I begin with the lenses I have tried so far:

YASHICA

ML 2.8/24
- Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter from seller Big_Is

ML 2.8/28
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter from seller Big_Is

ZEISS CONTAX

Makro-Planar 2.8/100

Distagon 1.4/35

Distagon 2/28 ("Hollywood")
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES but the mirror can not swing back (need to unmount lens after each shot)
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES as long as you start and end Live View mode with lens at distance other than infinity
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES, up to approx.400-500 mt distance

Planar 1.4/50

NIKON

Nikkor AIS 2.5/105
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter from seller Nikondiscount

NIKKOR-UD Auto 3.5/20
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter from seller Nikondiscount

ZEISS JENA

Tessar 2.8/50 aluminium, M42 version
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES but the mirror can not swing back (need to unmount lens after each shot)
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES as long as you start and end Live View mode with lens at distance other than infinity
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES but the mirror can not swing back (need to unmount lens after each shot)
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter, no flange from seller unknown

Flektogon 4/20
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter, no flange from seller unknown; FA Chip adapter, flanged from seller unknown

MEYER-OPTIK GOERLITZ

Lydith 3.5/30
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES, up to approx. 3 mt distance
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: FA Chip adapter, no flange from seller unknown

Trioplan 2.8/100

STEINHEIL MUENCHEN

Culminar 4.5/135 M42 version

Last edited by Orio on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 12 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List updated with Distagon 2/28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and important report! Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

With the help of Alessandro, Trifox, and the others who have the camera, we can make the most complete compatibility list available, I hope!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

With the help of Alessandro, Trifox, and the others who have the camera, we can make the most complete compatibility list available, I hope!

Great idea Orio, I'll take notes of how the various lenses I own behve with the 5D MkII from this moment on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: M42 S-M-C Takumars Reply with quote

coincidentally, i tested S-M-C Takumars the other day on **5D** (i don't have 5D2 to try, sorry):

mirror hits these when infinity focus:

20/4.5, 24/3.5, 35/2, 35/3.5, 50/1.4 <-- do not use those with 5D (especially the 24/3.5, mirror hits going up and generates "ERR")!!!

these work fine:

17/4, 28/3.5, macro 50/4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8, 85/1.9, macro 100/4, 105/2.8, 120/2.8, 135/2.5, 135/3.5, 150/4, 200/4, 300/4, 400/4, 500/4.5

tested using both thin (1.35mm) and exact (1.5mm) M42-EF adapters.

Last edited by visualopsins on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 S-M-C Takumars Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
coincidentally, i tested S-M-C Takumars the other day on 5D (should be same on 5D2):

5d and 5dmkII mirror is not the same, that's why we need to create an up-to-date list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added Contax Planar 1.4/50, Nikkor-UD 3.5/20, Yashica ML 2.8/28, Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 aluminium M42, Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/20 and Meyer-Optik Lydith 3.5/30.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the fact that live view allows mounting of nearly any lens on the 5DII without mirror shaving is a fact of primary importance, that strangely nobody else (that I know of) before me has ever mentioned yet. This is of course not like shooting freely, but in many cases, it can be a good enough compromise!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: M42 S-M-C Takumars Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
siriusdogstar wrote:
coincidentally, i tested S-M-C Takumars the other day on 5D (should be same on 5D2):

5d and 5dmkII mirror is not the same, that's why we need to create an up-to-date list.

what is the difference between the 2 mirrors? Size? and/or a complete different design?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: M42 S-M-C Takumars Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

what is the difference between the 2 mirrors? Size? and/or a complete different design?

I don't know precisely what is the difference, but for sure I could not shoot the Distagon 1.4/35 at infinity without shaving the mirror on the 5D.
Let alone the Distagon 2/28, at infinity it could not even produce an image, only a black frame because the mirror did not lift at all.
So we can assume the mirror is certainly a bit smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 S-M-C Takumars Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Hmmm... Somebody is listening to us, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 S-M-C Takumars Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Orio wrote:

Hmmm... Somebody is listening to us, maybe?

I would like to think so Smile
But more probably Canon addressed a known problem with the mirror of the 5D falling. So the smaller screen might be due to the redesign. Probably a smaller screen is easier to be kept into place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this thread has a lot of potential.

My 5D MKII just arrived and since i dont have any EF AF around to start shooting, i'm trying to go with the MF lenses for the first tests. However i dont feel confortable about trying to shoot the camera since i dont know the potential hazards that the rear element can cause on the mirror.

Is just an error? Or could permanently damage de mirror?
How do i, safely, test a MF lens in this body without phisically damage it?

I have 2 EXAKTA mount lens to test... it could be a nice addition to the list.

Thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Yes, this thread has a lot of potential.
My 5D MKII just arrived and since i dont have any EF AF around to start shooting, i'm trying to go with the MF lenses for the first tests. However i dont feel confortable about trying to shoot the camera since i dont know the potential hazards that the rear element can cause on the mirror.

The rear element can cause only a superficial damage to the edge of the mirror. Nothing that you can see in the viewfinder (and probably neither on the mirror itself).
What risks to be seriously damaged is the rear glass element of the lens, if the barrel does not give it enough protection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Orio.

If the mirror hits the rear element of the lens, will the camera signal an error code?

I'm sorry to ask all this questions but i need to review the entire process theoreticaly before i feel confortable in actually doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Thanks for your answer Orio.

If the mirror hits the rear element of the lens, will the camera signal an error code?

I don't remember any error code neither I had to reset the camera. I just unmount the lens enough to the mirror to clear and return in place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isnt there any chance of misaligning the mirror in some way?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No error for me either. But with a couple of my oldest chipped adapters, the camera seems not to recognize the chip and hangs - in that case, just open and then close again the battery port, this resets the camera and you can start taking pictures. Newer adapters don't give me this problem.

As far as I know, there should not be much risk from a couple of mirror hits. Of course, if you make the mirror hit the lens 100 times a day everyday, then maybe something can happen. But probably at that pace the shutter would die first Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to finish this Q&A round... what will i ear/see if the mirror hits the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Just to finish this Q&A round... what will i ear/see if the mirror hits the lens?

A soft "clunck".

But I heard rumours that some lenses of value higher than 1000 Euros have an audio chip installed for such events, they will speak "idiot!" when the mirror hits the glass Razz Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Barata wrote:

A soft "clunck".

But I heard rumours that some lenses of value higher than 1000 Euros have an audio chip installed for such events, they will speak "idiot!" when the mirror hits the glass Razz Laughing

I will not get insulted then... my exakta lenses were less than 150€ combined! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXAKTA MOUNT LENSES

Flektogon 25/4 and ISCO BEROLINA-TELE-WESTANAR 135/3.5

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? (YES)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? Likely but with some problems. (see below)

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES with problems (mirror wont go down unless you unscrew the lens)

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? (Yes but the mirror will only go up, there's no going down.)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (Hong Kong manufacturer)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be selling my MF lenses Sad