Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Barata
with regards to point 2 I need to know if it's a yes or no - a "likely" will not fit in the spreasheet I am making Wink
do you get a picture, when you shoot at infinity in normal mode (no liveview), or do you get a black screen whole or partial?
This makes a diffference because even with the annoying necessity of taking the lens off to clear mirror, in the first case you get a picture.
In the second case, you get nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
thanks Barata
with regards to point 2 I need to know if it's a yes or no - a "likely" will not fit in the spreasheet I am making Wink
do you get a picture, when you shoot at infinity in normal mode (no liveview), or do you get a black screen whole or partial?
This makes a diffference because even with the annoying necessity of taking the lens off to clear mirror, in the first case you get a picture.

I only made 2 shots, one with each lens because i got scared as hell.

None of them were made at infinity... and still the mirror got stuck in the up position. So, if you go to infinity it can only worsen the problem.

The pictures were taken, since the mirror got up.

In liveview i'm sure you can use them, but before turning off the camera you should unscrew the lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
Orio wrote:
thanks Barata

I only made 2 shots, one with each lens because i got scared as hell.
None of them were made at infinity... and still the mirror got stuck in the up position. So, if you go to infinity it can only worsen the problem.
The pictures were taken, since the mirror got up.
In liveview i'm sure you can use them, but before turning off the camera you should unscrew the lenses.

Does the mirror get stuck even when focusing at the nearest possible distance?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in both lenses.

I guess the problem is how the lenses fit the adapter. I can post pictures tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm that's bad.

I also have a similar problem with my exakta lens (a Tessar 3.5/50)
I think the exakta mount forces to make an adapter that creates problems to the full frame eos cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42

Super Takumar 50/1.4

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? (YES)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES, but i think the mirror hits the rear element)

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)?(YES but then the mirror wont go down if you go to the viewfinder)

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? (YES, but i think the mirror hits the rear element)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (dont know)

FALSE ALARM! Sad
I hate being disappointed... well... dont we all?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH

Xenon 1.9/50 M42 version
- Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: M42-EOS adapter, no flange from alex (hk300)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CARL ZEISS JENA

Pancolar 1.8/80 M42 version
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES
- Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
- Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: M42-EOS adapter, no flange from alex (hk300)

MIR

MIR 24M 2/35 M42 version

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea, but hate the execution (sorry).

I suggest we set up something like THIS and have people input the data. Easy to manage, easy to browse, easy to parse, easy to combine data (e.g., conflicting reports on a lens, so that we can decided if it's adapter related, etc.).

What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have already started an excel file but I am busy with the work now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Yes I have already started an excel file but I am busy with the work now.

Precisely my point. If we put up a Google Spreadsheet file up on the web that anybody can access (well, perhaps with an MFlenses specific password), we wouldn't have to rely on one person to create, and keep up to date, such a database.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lens works at infinity without hitting the mirror, is there any point in doing all the other tests? Surely that means it will work in live view (it does fit the camera) and works at all focal lengths? Incidentally, I've had different makes of M42/EOS adapter from the same vendor, so there is a chance of one vendor using different makers

Also, if the mirror is smaller, do we need to retest all the lenses that are already listed as fully working on the Mark I? Surely it is only those that don't work on the old camera that need to be retested?

Here's a contribution to be going on with:

Micro-Nikkor-P 55/3.5, Non-AI serial number 664XXX (1968-73 design - see Nikon lens dates: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html) works normally at all distances. Adapter from OEC Camera Accessories on ebay. NOTE: This lens focuses to slightly beyond infinity, seems to be largely but not entirely due to the adapter)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES, but mirror gets stuck on the way up if an adapter that allows focusing beyond infinity is used; no problems if an adapter of proper thickness is used.

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES, but mirror gets stuck on the way up if an adapter that allows focusing beyond infinity is used; no problems if an adapter of proper thickness is used.

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (which seller it comes from)

White flangeless adapter from big_is of a type that allow focusing beyond infinity (being just a bit thinner than required), and causes the lens to hit the mirror.

Poisk-foto http://filmprocess.ru/photo_m42_poiskfoto.html adapters (matte grey aluminum) work properly with infinity (optical infinity = infinity on this lens). With this adapter, the lens DOES NOT hit the mirror at infinity. However, it has a flange that makes it difficult to change aperture while shooting.

Still looking for flangeless adapter of proper thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contax T* vs 35-70/3.4--
works perfect on 5dII at each f stop at any distance !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
I love this idea, but hate the execution (sorry).

I suggest we set up something like THIS and have people input the data. Easy to manage, easy to browse, easy to parse, easy to combine data (e.g., conflicting reports on a lens, so that we can decided if it's adapter related, etc.).

What do you think?

Perfect idea!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

distagon 25/2.8 aeg
sonnar 135/2.8 mmj
plannar 35/1.4 aeg

all perfect on my 5dII !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

primagon 35/4.5
super-multi-coated takumar 24/3.5
contax t* sonnar 85/2.8 aeg
czj biotar 58/2(chrome version,both the mini 17 blades and 10 blades versions)

--sad, not working at infinity
according to my personal test today the mirror hit only outside of the rear end,no damage to the rear lens glass,and mirror cannot resume to original position...

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50mm 1.4 MM and 25mm 2.8 AE Contax lenses have worked fine. The mirror got stuck with the 85mm f2.8, and sorry but I don't want to test that lens any further (not my 5d2 and don't want to break it)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror does stick on the Contax Sonnar 85 and Sonnar100 on the original Fiver also.

Both of those lenses have a plastic "Tube" baffle that is easily removed and can be re-placed later.

Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 2 personal test:

contax t* 35/2.8 mmj--ok on my 5d II !

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The mirror does stick on the Contax Sonnar 85 and Sonnar100 on the original Fiver also.

Both of those lenses have a plastic "Tube" baffle that is easily removed and can be re-placed later.

Smile

You meant sonnar 100/3.5?--but i dont have this lens yet.

And i dont have that high skill to unscrew the rear end without leaving a sign of repair...
maybe i have to sell those long rear end lenses...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 3,2009 test:
czj flektagon 20/2.8 m42 mount to eos- ok at infinity !!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinheil Munchen Culminon 75mm f1.5

Not compatible with 5D at any distance.

Not compatible with any Eos of using Cropped sensor 20/30/40/50D or the 3xx/4xx/5xx/1xxx series.

The rear assembly projects too far to actually mount the lens even at minimum focus of 1.5 meters.
The lens hits the mirror-box front wall.

It could be used on a bellows or short tube for close ups.

Shame really what a fabulous lens otherwise. Sad

This lens is an anomly as far as I can tell it could only mount into maybe a Praktica FX or similar small mirror camera Confused

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you bought this Culminon ?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not. I only tried it.
I see that with a 5mm tube (a ring really) it could focus to about 10 meters.
That would make a great portraits lens.