Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: notched ruler Reply with quote

This "Salt ruler" is certainly a good method to get a rough impression of which optics fit without modification.

A refinement: Since the edge of the mirror moves in a circle segment (except for the more complicated ones that actually retract a bit ), a corresponding curve can be cut in the ruler.

This will also be useful if you decide to file off offending bits where only a millimetre or so is in the way. Since the lens is more durable than the SLReletronics, you may of course prefer to modify the mirror - and make a new ruler with a correspondingly deeper notch.

On the other hand you may decide that the risk of mirror-shavings inside the shutter and sensor combo together with the probability that lens will have to put up with a succession of longer mirrors favours lens vandalism. Suction needed for to continuously removing debris risks messing up shutter curtains when filing the mirror, while lens mechanics are far more robust.

I found that filing a bit off the lens metal to correcting for mirror movement made it possible to use the wide end of a 21-35 zoom at infinity.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: First shots and sharing Reply with quote

Nice to see the Pentacon Prakticar 2.8/135 MC PB and the 50 working. Just found them really cheap.
How do you shave the part off. I guess it might be easy to see, when I get them.

RSalles wrote:
Well,

The 5DMkII arrived few days ago and i had the chance to check some lenses - Mr. Spreadsheet Boss, please update - if it's not already done...

Pentacon Prakticar MC M42 50/1.8 - Plastic anti-dust protection protruding part shaved, and now it's ok.
Pentacon Prakticar MC PB 50/1.8 - Same as above.
Pentacon Prakticar MC PB zoom 35/70 3.5-4.5 (almost sure it's a Japanese version, not GDR). Hits the mirror, can't be used, no mods possible without dismantling the lens and seriously grinding the back barrel, which i'll not do, prefer sell these lens.
Pentacon 30/3.5 Meyer-Optik Lydith version- hits the mirror, but possible to use in live view mode, if the infinity lens position is not set when the mirror moves up and down. Annoying, prefer to sell these lens too to someone who has a APS-C or other sensor smaller than full frame.
Leica-R Summicron 50/2.0 1CAM fungus version Very Happy with adapter Leica-R-EOS - Ok, as spreadsheet marked.
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5 M42 with cheap M42-EOS adapter: OK
Asahi SMC Takumar 135/3.5 M42 with cheap M42-EOS adapter: OK
Pentacon Prakticar 2.8/135 MC PB (Meyer-Optik Orestor project) - Same shaving operation as above with 50/1.8 PB and then can be used with big_is PB-EOS adapter.
Pentacon Auto 4/200 MC - Same procedure as with other PB Pantacon, and OK with big_is PB-EOS adapter.
Carl Zeiss Jena Ddr Tessar 2.8/50 M42 - Ok, using cheap M42-EOS adapter.

Some days more and i'll post myself the smyles and tears using the MarkII with Mir 1b and Takumar 35/3.5.

Keep the wheel rolling,

RSalles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a Kenlock 28mm f2.8 pb mount I think.
Has anybody tried it out?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
RSalles wrote:
SonicScot

A fast way to test if a lens will hit the mirror of EOS FF is to observe the back part of the lens with the adapter installed: if any part of the lens protrudes from adapter it will probably hit the mirror when focusing the infinity. You can test also with a rule, moving it over the back side of the adapter, to check if it touches the lens back. Some lenses deserves a shaving intervention and it's ok - Mir 1B, some versions of Helios 42, and so on. Other lens have the back element to far into the camera body - Takumar 3.5/35 f.i. - and can not be used at infinity.
You'll not brake the mirror camera just testing it, I did several times, gently touching the mirror, and the Mk II I own is ok.

HTH,

RSalles

Thanks for that.
I tested all my lenses on the 5D today and only the Nikon 50/1.2 was a problem. The small metal tab was easily removed and now it works perfectly. The Planar 50/1.7 does have a little bit protruding from the back but it didn't interfere with the mirror.
All in all, I'm delighted. Very Happy

(the Samyang 8/3.5 is for crop sensors, I'll use my Zenitar 16mm fisheye instead)

I bought an old EOS film camera to test for mirror hit. (Canon Rebel K2) Works fine!