Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: mirror clearance Reply with quote

Hi,
I just joined this group. My Canon 5D2 will arrive tomorrow with any luck and I've pre-bought some M42 lenses - rather unwisely it would seem from what I read here.

I'm confused as to why one adapter as opposed to another will make a difference in clearance of the mirror - I can only assume that some adapters take the easy route of allowing focus beyond infinity (?) whereas others are made with great precision to go to infinity and no further. After all, for a lens to focus at infinity it must be at a precise distance from the sensor no matter what adapter is holding it there.

Does the mirror swing within the circle of the mount adapter? Is it the case that if the rear element is further back than the ring of the adapter, is it then safe from the mirror?

It would be very useful to see a photograph of the "big.is" M42 to EOS adapter since it seems that that one will enable me to use all the lenses I have bought so far judging from your useful spreadsheet file.

So far I have the following lenses and I'll report back with my experiences when the camera arrives:

50mm f1.4 S-M-C Takumar
55mm f1.8 Auto Takumar
28mm f3.5 S-M-C Takumar
85mm f2 Jupiter 9 M42 old version - 1978 I think
plus a bunch of Nikon lenses

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're sorry.

We're sorry, an unknown error has occurred loading your spreadsheet.

Find out more at the Google Docs Help Center.

Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think compatibility in 5D or canons in general is greater than with sigmas, so ill post my compatibility tests:

Infinity OK:
Panagor 28mm f2 (Kiron)
Helios 44-2
Pentax-M 50mm f1.4
Pentax-A 50mm f2.8 Macro
Vivitar 100mm f2.8 Macro
Rikenon 50mm f2
Vivitar 35mm f1.9
Nikkor 55mm f1.2
Nikkor 105mm f1.8
SK Tele-xenar 200mm f5.5
Argus Sandmar 35mm f4.5 (i know it can achieve infinity, but with some very exotic adapter).
C/Y Zeiss 135mm f2.8

Now, the ones that can't achieve infinity (i believe this is only on sigma- someone correct me please, i used the Canon FL 55mm f1.2 which is same formula than FD, but i used it without the IR filter).
Canon FD 55mm f1.2
Canon nFD 50mm f1.2
Canon 15mm f2.8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: mirror clearance Reply with quote

harrymorris wrote:

I'm confused as to why one adapter as opposed to another will make a difference in clearance of the mirror - I can only assume that some adapters take the easy route of allowing focus beyond infinity (?) whereas others are made with great precision to go to infinity and no further.

Some adapters are built to more strict tolerances than others. Most cheap Chinese ones are too thin, allowing lenses to focus past infinity. I have 4 or 5 different brands of C/Y adapters, and only one has precise infinity (this one allows using many lenses that are reported to have troubles with 5DmkII).

harrymorris wrote:
After all, for a lens to focus at infinity it must be at a precise distance from the sensor no matter what adapter is holding it there.

Right. However, some lenses have parts of the mount that protrude into the mirror box - regardless of the focusing distance. Besides, it is just faster/easier to focus the lens to its designated "infinity" stop rather than hunting for it every time.

harrymorris wrote:
Does the mirror swing within the circle of the mount adapter? Is it the case that if the rear element is further back than the ring of the adapter, is it then safe from the mirror?

If nothing sticks out of the EOS adapter into the mirror box even if the lens is focused to infinity, then you're safe. Many MF lenses have various flanges, levers and rear element protection tabs sticking out which may catch the mirror regardless of the focusing distance. Some of these lenses are OK when mounted on a thicker (more precise) adapter. I have plenty behaving this way.

harrymorris wrote:
50mm f1.4 S-M-C Takumar

Don't. It *will* hit the mirror regardless of the adapter used.

harrymorris wrote:
28mm f3.5 S-M-C Takumar

May or may not hit the mirror at infinity. Watch out.

harrymorris wrote:
85mm f2 Jupiter 9 M42 old version - 1978 I think

Zero problems, very safe to use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: my 5D MK2 lens compatibility tests so far Reply with quote

The following lenses clear the Canon 5d MK2 mirror at infinity on my acutual lenses and body

55mm f1.8 Auto-Takumar Asahi - 1962 ish
135mm f3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Asahai Takumar - 1972 ish

Tokina AT-X 17mm f3.5 AF (the best version with detachable hood)

Vivitar 17mm f3.5 (Tokina SL Serial number starts 37)
Vivitar 75-205mm f4 (Kiron Made - serial starts with 22)
Vivitar 70-210mm f3.5 Series 1 (Kiron Made - serial starts with 22)

Russian Jupiter 11A 135mm f4 T2 mount - fantastic lens!

Pentacon 6 AF-indicating adapter works for all P6 lenses

18-35mm f3.5-4.5 AF D Nikkor
24mm f2.8 AF Nikkor (old version with slim plastic focus grip)
35mm f2 Nikkor AI-S
60mm f2.8 AF Nikkor Macro
70-210mm f4 - 5.6 AF Nikkor (non D version)
85mm f1.8 AF Nikkor (non-D version)
180mm f2.8 AF Nikkor (non D version black crackle)
200mm f4 Nikkor AI-S

THE FOLLOWING LENSES !!DO NOT!! CLEAR THE CANON 5D MK2 MIRROR WITH MY ACTUAL SPECIMENS

50mm f1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar - 1972 - really irritating this
28mm f3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar - 1972 - ditto

They can both be used fairly easily with the mirror locked up in live view mode though - as long as the sun isn't over your shoulder.

Harry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: further S-M-C Takumar findings Reply with quote

Thanks aoleg for your response about my Takumar SMC lenses etc.

I have since discovered that I have a "too-thin" adapter and, if I set my 50mm 1.4 S-M-C Takumar focus control to infinity and then slightly unscrew the lens from the adapter - about half a turn - then infinity snaps into focus at that point and also the camera mirror clears the Takumar lens! This also works for the 28mm f3.5 S-M-C Takumar so I'm almost sorted!

So, with the index of the lens on the underside of the camera Sad , all works well. I could either make a shim to pad out the adapter to be thicker or I could look for an adapter where the thickness is machined precisely for infinity focus. I guess that is where the variability is coming from from peoples success in using those two Takumars - 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f3.5. At least there is a solution now that I can work towards.

Can anybody help here? I have two essential requiremens now for the adapter, it must be completely accurately cut for precise infinity and not a scrap beyond, and it must allow micro AF adjustment and AF confirm.

I imagine that the "big.is" M42 to EOS adapter satisfies the infinity thing (?) but does it allow for micro-focus adjustment and AF confirm and etc.?

all best Harry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could cut a paper (cardboard) ring and place it between the lens and the adapter ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier,
Yes I'm sure that would work but a precisely made to infinity adapter would keep my lenes the right way up Smile so I'm going to try for the perfect adapter first if it exists.

Harry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrymorris wrote:
Hi Olivier,
Yes I'm sure that would work but a precisely made to infinity adapter would keep my lenes the right way up Smile so I'm going to try for the perfect adapter first if it exists.

Harry

Maybe the best solution is to ask Alex (forum member aka hk300) to get and test one for you in HK.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: accurate infinity Reply with quote

I just had a note back from "big_is" (an ebay user name) about the way they have engineered their M42 to EOS EF adapter for accurate infinity. They assure me that their adapter allows M42 lenses to focus to infinity AND NO FURTHER - lets hope.

If this is the case, it will answer my problem of the Canon 5D MK2 mirror hitting the back of my 50mm f1.4 S-M-C Takumar and my 28mm f3.5 S-M-C Takumar according to my tests. When it arives I'll report back about whether they then clear the mirror. It's coming from China so don't hold your breath.

I've also measured the thickness of my current adapter that gives the mirror problem and, sure enough, it is 0.5mm too thin.

The Canon EF mount to sensor distance is 44.00mm and the M42 mount to sensor distance is 45.50mm - a 1.5mm difference = desired thickness of the adapter mount-to-mount surface. My bad adapter is machined as 1mm thick mount to mount surface. Hence the lens can focus closer to the sensor than the infinity point putting my mirror in danger.

The details of the adapter are given below, it has no type number I'm afraid but there is a photo of it off their ebay entry below. If I got it to upload Smile

big-is EMF AF confirm m42 adapter for CANON

Up for sell is 1 piece EMF af confirm M42 to canon lens apdater. It is aperture pin stop down flange version and made of aluminum.Fits Carl Zeiss Jena, Pentacon, Pentax, etc to Canon camera.

Don't buy the testing version EMF chip/chiped adapter. More details please visit EMF office website.

Features:

1. Lens’ maximum aperture can be set on camera, ranging from F/1.1 to F/45

2. Lens’ focal length can be set on camera, ranging from 1mm to 65535mm

3. Focus micro-adjustment of the lens can be set on camera from 0-31 steps.

4. Setting data is stored in the chip on the ring when powered off.

5. The ring enables camera viewfinder focus confirmation light and confirmation sound.

6. Supports AV (Aperture Priority) and Manual Mode.

7. Exposure aperture data can be recorded in EXIF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: further S-M-C Takumar findings Reply with quote

harrymorris wrote:
Can anybody help here? I have two essential requiremens now for the adapter, it must be completely accurately cut for precise infinity and not a scrap beyond, and it must allow micro AF adjustment and AF confirm.

I imagine that the "big.is" M42 to EOS adapter satisfies the infinity thing (?) but does it allow for micro-focus adjustment and AF confirm and etc.?

I have that big_is adapter (I think I tried them all Smile ); no, it's also too thin (although not as thin as the cheaper versions). The only adapter sold on eBay that has proper thickness is this one (and I do have it to confirm) is this one: Click here to see on Ebay

However, the 50/1.4 will still hit the mirror when focused to infinity. My sample of 28/3.5 does the same, even with this adapter; your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: s-m-c Takumars 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Thanks once again aoleg,

Yes I've just discovered that the "Big is EMF M42 - EOS" silver adapter is also too thin but very slightly thicker than my other two.

The super-multi-coated Takumars 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f3.5 still clash with the mirror. Just to rub it in there was a little silver deposit on the back of the 28mm after my latest test Sad I can't afford too many more tests.

I've got to sort this out since I dumped my Nikon D700 in favour of the Canon 5D2, just so I could use legacy M42 lenses and in particular the two mentioned above. I'm unfortunate that the two lenses I had been wanting to use were both unuseable.

To help any others in my situation, this latest adapter is shown below. Though it looks black it is in fact bright silver - to help you with the id.

I guess, aoleg, that I'll now find the thickest adapter with the best chip and then shim it out to make it work. It looks like the one you reccommend will be that adaptor. I'll buy one adapter for each of those troblesome lenses, never to be removed. By the time this is all done I will have spent enough to have been able to afford some very fancy lenses.

I've just tried the older 58mm f2 M44 russian lens and, of course, that works fine. I may have a faulty copy since edges seem very bad indeed wide open. Then again, it may be that it doesn't like digital sensors. Shining through that problem is a very good image quality and great out of focus quality. Stopped down a bit it is fantastic.

harry morris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere: what about PRAKTICARs (PB Bayonet) with possibly this adapter: Click here to see on Ebay ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: onhly M42 to EF adapter with full and correct thickness. Reply with quote

Thanks aoleg for your advice on the M42 adapter,
yes that adapter you recommended from - h_o_h_o_l - (ebay id) is certainly spot on for infinity and not a bit beyond. So it's the best we can do since it also includes all the adjustable parameters I could ever need.

It also seems to be set-up by default for perfect focus. GREAT! Some of those other adapters were quite bad with varying thickness one side to the other.

As you say, the Takumar 50mm f1.4 S-M-C still clashes with the mirror. I'm not going to try the 28mm f3.5 S-M-C.

Have you any advice/experience on the thickness of shim required with this properly made adapter?

harry morris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 - will mount but mirror hits rear of lens mount at any focal distance. The rear lens is about 1cm insice the back end of the mount, which continuees about 3mm beyond the m42 thread. It should be straightforward enough to shave the back of the mount down without affecting the thread for those familiar with the necessary tools.

It's a pity, I would have liked a nice, short triplet for the camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGENIEUX Zoom 2x35 2.5-3.3/35-70mm Nikon Mount

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera?YES
2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?YES
3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: Nikon to EOS with AF confirm chip

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGENIEUX Zoom 3x70 3.5/70-210mm Nikon Mount

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera?YES
2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?YES
3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: Nikon to EOS with AF confirm chip

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added two more lenses

Jupiter-6 180mm f2.8 (I added under Russian lenses)

and

Olympus 28mm f2.8 ( I created an Olympus category)

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 - will mount but mirror hits rear of lens mount at any focal distance. The rear lens is about 1cm insice the back end of the mount, which continuees about 3mm beyond the m42 thread. It should be straightforward enough to shave the back of the mount down without affecting the thread for those familiar with the necessary tools.

It's a pity, I would have liked a nice, short triplet for the camera.

M42 E-Luwig Meritar 50/2.9 is fine on my 5Dii. The version I have does not have a protruding rear element - SN 1628552.

S-M-C Tak 1.4/50 is fine as long as the lens doesn't focus past infinity. I added a small amount of tape to the adapter to act as a spacer. Now I get infinity and no mirror hanging.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sheet there is NO & NO under C & D for Cyclop 85/1.5 (Helios 40-2 without apertue) which of course isn't true. It's true only for crappy blue coating quasi-lens with protruding element. Just say Yes, Yes and add "avoid blue version" in comment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi forum my first post. so the CARL ZEISS JENA FLEKTOGON 35MM 2.8 lens
wount work?

If it works which m42 to ef adaptor should be used.

thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only with lifted mirror. You could cut the perturbing iron part at the back of the lens though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey I am mainly going to use this to shot movie but can it destroy the mirror if it hits this iron part? I already bought this lens on ebay and I will recive it soon hopeing it will work. Do you know which adaptor (m42 to ef) to buy for this lens?

thanks for the reply.

ps. which iron part is this? is it the pin sticking out in the back?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin too but I mean part around last rear element. Adapter? The cheapest one if you don't need AF confirm chip. With black you have a little more chance to get infinity then with chrome i think statistically. Mirror destruction is possible i guess if you are careless.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey damn, guess I am going to sell the lens at get the flektagon 35mm 2.4
but i am going to evaluate it when i get the lens. thanks alot pancolart.