Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica R 28-70 f3.5 made in Japan

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? NO mirror hits , only half a picture

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES only in live mode

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin fotodiox

This lens works fine on a C size sensor Canon. Will only work in live mode on 5D II. I altered the lens by filing the lens protection tube coming out the back. I filed off approximately one mm on the top half of the tube. Works great now. The lens still has protection at 28 mm. (lens fully retracted into body) Some might consider this radical but I really hated giving up this lens when going to the 5DII. It will still works fine on a Leica. I did not hurt the functionality of the lens at all. I don't see myself ever selling the lens but if I do I will advertise that it has been altered to work on the 5D II.

Also here is a list from PebblePlace of Leica R lenses and how they work on the Canon line of DSLR's.

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html

Last edited by likealens on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI 20mm f/4 (1977)

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES (after filing down tab on rear end)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? YES

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)? YES

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES

5) Specify the type of adapter used and its origin. Fotodiox Pro (no focus confirmation), bought from Amazon

Last edited by Craig D on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've gone through the various responses in this thread looking for info in Nikkor lenses, and I've updated the GoogleDocs spreadsheet accordingly.

What I notice is that all the Nikkor lenses on the list either work as-is or work after sanding down the rear protection fin a little. I am curious whether anyone knows of any Nikkor lenses that do NOT work? In particular I am curious about f/2 and faster AI/AI-S primes such as the 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.4, 85mm f/2, and 105mm f/1.8. Does anyone know if these work? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micro-Nikkor Auto 3.5/55 Compensating type Pre-AI(1964)

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? Font color: YES
4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity? YES
5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: Big_Is EMF chip ("Rabbit ears" need to be removed for the adapter to be used)

Last edited by Keysersoze27 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 1.8/50 Ai-S first version - 1983 (stepped nose, narrow aperture ring)

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera?YES
2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?YES
5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: Big_Is EMF chip

Last edited by Keysersoze27 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax CZ Distagon 2.8/28 MMJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Tessar T 3.5/50 1Q EXAKTA mount (1953)

Can be physically mounted on the camera?YES (both copper stoppers of the adapter were cut a little so that they don't mark the plastic of the camera's inside
2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?NO
5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: CamPlus AF chip

Last edited by Keysersoze27 on Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI-S 85mm f/2 (early 1980s)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and its origin. Fotodiox Pro (no focus confirmation), bought from Amazon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi S-M-C Takumar 3.5/35

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?NO , back of lens hits the mirror at infinity
5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin: AF chip adapter from photobits42 , no flange version- Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I received another model of Nikon to Canon lens adapter, this one purchased from Rainbow Imaging on Amazon. The big differences of this relative to my Fotodiox Pro adapter is that it has an EMF chip to enable AF confirmation and store configuration for EXIF data (focal length and maximum aperture) and AF micro-adjustment, despite which it costs half as much ($40, compared to $80 for the Fotodiox).

The new adapter is a pretty decent piece of metal, and the EMF chip looks like the same one you can buy on eBay from other vendors. However, one nasty surprise the new adapter gave me is that my Nikkor 85mm f/2 AI-S doesn't get along with it. The lens seems to attach fine, but you can't open the lens up beyond f/4. I don't see what's obstructing it, but something clearly is. This doesn't happen with the Fotodiox.

My Nikkor 20mm f/4 AI, on the other hand, is happy as a clam with this adapter. I'm not sure if the problem with the 85mm has to do with the absolute aperture (in which case perhaps the 20mm is happy because it's only an f/4 lens anyway) or if that's a red herring and the real problem is somewhere else that just happens not to bother the 20mm for whatever reason. It's just as well that this is the lens it works with, since manual focusing a 20mm f/4 lens is surprisingly difficult when you have a subject really close to the camera, even with Canon's Eg-S wide-aperture focusing screen. Most other shots you don't even need AF confirmation -- just set f/8 with focus at 3m or beyond and it's great. But I like using wide-angle lenses to create dramatic perspectives too, and there the AF confirmation is needed. The 85mm f/2, on the other hand, is almost childishly easy to focus even without confirmation.

The other fun thing about this new adapter is that the chip seems to have been updated since the programming instructions were written. The printed instructions that came with it don't work. Fortunately, a Google search turned up some newer instructions on eBay (in the item description for an auction for the chip) that worked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI 200mm f/4

Last edited by Craig D on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI 28mm f/2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/85 AEJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 MMJ

No problem with the aperture ring level sticking on the inner back of the 5DII.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI-S 300mm f/4.5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI-S 135mm f/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AI-S 50mm f/1.4

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

When I open the Excel spreadsheet mentioned in the very first post of Orio, I think that lenses are messed up.
Is it just me or do you have the same ? Confused

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hello,

When I open the Excel spreadsheet mentioned in the very first post of Orio, I think that lenses are messed up.
Is it just me or do you have the same ? Confused

Yeah, it looks like someone damaged it and didn't know how to fix it up. I don't know if GoogleDocs has an Undo feature, but at least it seems like you can't undo what someone else has done. Pity.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINO PRECISION Kiron 28mm f/2 MC, Contax/Yashica mount

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera?
YES

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode?
YES

3) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in live view mode (mirror locked up)?
YES

4) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at distances other than infinity?
YES

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (which seller it comes from)
chip on some adapters might block apperture lever

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM G-Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

First post...I see a lot of lenses not updated in the second OP's post and in the Google SpreadSheet.

Olympus OM G-Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

5) Specify the type of adapter used and its origin. Not sure of the name but there are plenty on eBay chipped for AF confirm and non-chipped too

Here's a short video test:
http://vimeo.com/11562643

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM G-Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
First post...I see a lot of lenses not updated in the second OP's post and in the Google SpreadSheet.

Olympus OM G-Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

5) Specify the type of adapter used and its origin. Not sure of the name but there are plenty on eBay chipped for AF confirm and non-chipped too

Here's a short video test:
http://vimeo.com/11562643

Welcome Roy !
Smile

Links of new members don't appear in their 1st post.
So here it is : http://vimeo.com/11562643

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of important info, thank you guys so much!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 24mm f/2 by Kino Precision Japan

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? YES, but in the case of my 5DMK2 the DOF preview levers (if this is what they are called) scratched two surfaces inside the mirror box (top and bottom). Thank goodness it didn't hit the contact pins. Solution was easy, remove the original mount (easy) and grind down these levers about .5mm.
5) Specify the type of adapter used and its origin. BigIS C/Y to EOS worked like a champ.

Sample video: http://vimeo.com/11957052

-Roy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find out if the Yashica Yashinon DX 50mm 1.4 will allow infinity focus on the 5DMK2? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Roy