Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D Mark II lens compatibility chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add the Leiz Summicron-R 50mm serial no 297xxxx (listed as the "fourth optical formula" on some e-bay ads), and the Leitz Summicron-R 90mm serial 250XXXX (built-in hood) as both having no problems on the Mk 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica Yashinon-DS 50mm f1.4

1) Can be physically mounted on the camera? (YES)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES no problem)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (which seller it comes from)
M42 focus confirm adaptor - photobits42 off ebay

Sicor - XL MC 135mm f2.8 AUTO

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES no problem)

5) Specify the type of adapter used and it's origin (which seller it comes from)
M42 focus confirm adaptor - photobits42 off ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted in other threads but am still wading through varying veiws on whether the highly anticipated arrival of my Asahi Pentax SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 will work on my cherished Mk2

Various views include;

- No chance your 5D will die if you use this
- Depends on exaclty which adaptor you have
- File the back of the lens (hasn't arrived yet and this would make me sad)
- Get the mirror ground (stuff that, I re-mortgaged for this puppy)
- No problem with my Mk2

is ther any clarity on this issue yet?

Thnx

P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLashard66 wrote:
...Asahi Pentax SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 will work on my cherished Mk2...
is there any clarity on this issue yet?

Thnx

P

anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Takumar 1.4/50
Super-Takumar 1.4/50
are working with Canon 5Dm2 without any problems
M42/EOS adapter with AF chip from big-is ebay seller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks Orio for the fantastic idea of this thread. Has anyone tried the Zeiss Contax Distagon 28/2.8 and the Zeiss Contax 45/2.8 Pancake in the 5DMkII? I couldn´t find any reference to these lenses in the posts above. Tks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo,

Some version of C/Y Tessar 45/2.8 clears the mirror of 5D without a problem.
So I guess it depends on the lens itself for MkII too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Koji, do you have any idea of which version of the Tessar clears the mirror in the 5D and how to identify it?
In some thread i read that Orio possessed a 28/2.8, but it doesn't appear in her list. Maybe she sold it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my Asahi Takumar 50mm 1.4.

Attached it to my 5D mk2 and it works up until a shade before the infinity focus.

I had it attached with an AF chip adaptor that has a flange to activate the iris on auto lenses and this impedes the aperture ring movement so have ordered another adaptor withou the flange.

It clatters the mirror only slightly as in, the mirror flips up but won't come down, I think I can resolve this with a thin ring of something on the adaptor to act as a spacer.

Wil let you know

P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an adapter issue. I have no problem on my 5dm2. As I wrote I got my adapter from big-is

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Primoplan 1.9/58 at infinity stops mirror, other focal length - OK
Novoflex Noflexar 3.5/35 not usable in any focal length except close-up ->12"/30cm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Super-Takumar 1.4/50 with an unknown brand adapter and hits the mirror when focusing to infinity. some adapters are working without problems

what is difference between adapters?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY TAKUMAR TESTS:

SMC TAKUMAR-55/1.8---OK ON 5DII;
S-M-C TAKUMAR 135/2.5 2ND VERSION- OK ON 5DII;
SUPER TAKUMAR 50/1.4 N S-M-C TAKUMAR 50/1.4 NOT OK AT INFINI.;
S-M-C TAKUMAR 35/2 --NOT OK AT INFINI.

BIOTAR TEST:
50/2- BOTH VERSIONS--NOT OK AT INFINI;
75/1.5- NON RED T VERSION- OK ON 5DII.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you know I will be flying to Hong Kong next month.
Going to grab a 5D Mk II from there.

I think I take Nikkor 50/1.4 (the old model) and Nikkor 24/2.8 also the old model with me for the camera to take some shots.
Maybe also Nikkor 105/1.8

I think these lenses should be fine with 5D mkII:s mirror or does someone now exactly?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at a Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 on Canon 5D2. Anyone tried if its compatible?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my last two acquisitions:

ZENIT - MC HELIOS-44M-4 58mm 2 (

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES wonderful lens)

M42/EOS adapter without AF chip
I did buy the adapter in the store. No name on it, just black.

AUTO ALBINAR SPECIAL MC 2.8 35mm (made in japan)

2) Is it possible to take pictures focusing at infinity in normal mode? (YES but mirror don't go back. It does hit the mirror when focusing from little more than 5 meters mark to infinity)

Same as above.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I just bought my first Contax lenses (and one Contax mount Vivitar 55 macro) for my 5d Mark ii, and I'm getting an adapter tomorrow. This may be a stupid question, but I've been reading a lot about tabs that need to be shaved so the camera's AF contacts don't get scratched, so when you all list lenses as working, should I assume that no shaving or modifications were required to make them work? I'm just a little scared to mount these suckers.

Great forum btw!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blahamilton wrote:
Hi all, I just bought my first Contax lenses (and one Contax mount Vivitar 55 macro) for my 5d Mark ii, and I'm getting an adapter tomorrow. This may be a stupid question, but I've been reading a lot about tabs that need to be shaved so the camera's AF contacts don't get scratched, so when you all list lenses as working, should I assume that no shaving or modifications were required to make them work? I'm just a little scared to mount these suckers.

Great forum btw!

welcome blahamilton
all contax lenses work without problem on the 5DII, no need to shave
some need to be used in liveview otherwise the mirror get blocked at infinite
when the mirror block, it doesn't make any sound, I guess the contact is quite smooth
you just have to unscrew the lens to get the mirror unlocked
till now, only my distagon 28:2 block
indeed, my makro-planar 100 didn't mount and I had to cut a part of the tab
in this case, I got a resistance when mounting the lens, lens should mount smoothly otherwise check twice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Poilu, thanks for the quick response! I've found a few people on Cinema5D who claim to have had to shave their tabs, but I sure hope you're right. I guess time will tell!

My main concern was just that I wouldn't screw up my camera, so thanks for confirming that for me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi poilu and all, I tried out my lenses and the images look amazing! However, it does appear that at least two of the lenses are scratching the inside of the camera exactly where someone on Cinema5d said they might.

You can see my conversation with them here and a picture of the problem area.

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=643&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

It seems like scratching this part of the mount is only cosmetic and will not harm the mechanics of the camera? I'm still going to try filing down the fins/tabs before remounting them.

So far no problem with any of the lenses effecting the mirror, even at infinity. I'm just so concerned about damaging my baby (5d Mark ii).
Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi blahamilton
sorry to learn that your lenses doesn't fit
I recheck my 28:2.8 & 135:2.8 and no problem
seems Canon tolerance is miss & hit

as you are in Cinema5D, I guess you will made some movie, don't forget to upload them in our 'Dslr movie' section Wink

my only modification was for the makro planar 100:2.8

this tab was too high

it doesn't have any function, I cut it, quicker than sanding

the aperture actuator was quite big

I unscrew it to be able to remount if needed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed pics! Yeah, I suspect those are the parts that are causing the scratching. That being said, it is VERY lightly scratching, but I figure I may as well remove them so no further cosmetic damage is done. What did you use to cut the tab off?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a cutter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor Ai 50/2 will physically not mount on Canon 5DmkII becase of a protruding protection fin on the back. Tried with two different adapters (which is irrelevant because I had to sand the fin down some 3mm in order to get the lens mount).

Good news is the lens is cheap, so I had no reservations filing the fin. 3mm is enough. Other than the fin, the lens has no problem with mirror clearance at any setting.

Nikkor Ai-S 50/1.8 (long-nose) and Ai 50/1.4 mount and work just fine.

Nikkor Ai and Ai-S 24/2.8 mount and work at all settings.

Nikkor Ai 28/3.5 mounts and works at all settings.

Nikkor Ai-S 35/2 mounts and works at all settings.

Mir-10A 28/3.5 mounts and works at all settings (M42 adapter).

Contax Sonnar 85/2.8 MM mounts and works at all settings (despite of some reports suggesting otherwise).

Last edited by aoleg on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pancolar 80 does hit the mirror at infinity.
I notice some other people have no problem with this lens.