Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Re-loadable Cassettes - Tape?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re-loadable Cassettes - Tape? Reply with quote

Recently I tried my hand at DIY redscale film which is essentially just reversed color negative film. I bought a few Kalt make re-loadable cassettes that have a solid central spool. I used a small piece of masking tape to attach the film to this spool from the Superia 400 cassette. I then wound the entire roll over to the Kalt cassette in the darkroom. So voila! Redscale Film!

Everything went swimmingly. In the true vapid and cliche LOMOgraphy style, I used this roll at a party with my Lomo LC-A.

Sooo here's where it gets bad...I took this roll to a 1 hour development place. Told them the story that it was a reloadable cassette and that the film is reversed. They said fine, it was not a problem. What was a problem was the masking tape I used. Apparently their big development machine can't handle it, jammed, and destroyed all the negatives.

So my question: What kind of tape will the machine accept? It has to accept some kind as these are solid spools, no? Film splicing tape? I would really appreciate if anyone had any insight on this. Many thanks in advance!

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Film splicing tape?
I think might work. Checked out 3M website, looks like the one used in Kodak rolls. In Kodak rolls is white (for what's worth) 1" height and sticks on the tail of the film for a length of 15mm approx (on both sides). Other film manufacturers use spools with a slot in the center where the tail is jammed by means of plastic pins, though I never seen re loadable cassettes made that way. Hope this helps.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much! I just needed that bit of assurance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Re-loadable Cassettes - Tape? Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
So my question: What kind of tape will the machine accept? It has to accept some kind as these are solid spools, no?

I asked once, and the machines around here (Fuji) just pull the film out until it stops, and then automatically cut it off right up against the cartridge. So it would seem as though if you didn't want the tape to go through, the key would be to ensure that it has enough adhesion that the machine stops pulling and cuts, instead of pulling the film & tape clean out of the cartridge.

Otherwise, there are (or were) several styles of reloadable cassettes that did not require tape. Some had clamps with set-screws, and I can recall others that had a slot with a slight wedge shape to it, that was just wide enough for one layer of film. You would push the film in through the narrow side, fold it over, and push it back in through the other side, and when pulled, it would wedge itself in place.

You can see a few examples of the other types of cassettes here:
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps%20how%20choose%20cassetes.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some reloadable cassettes that have smooth inner spools. I've yet to use them, but recently bought some bulk film so I will be in the future. I was just planning on using some 3M blue tape or something similar, but now I wonder.

I think what I'll do is discuss it with the guys at the lab that does my developing and see what they say. Maybe I can get by with just the blue masking tape. Glad this topic came up. I've been more concerned about the lab not processing my film because it comes in unmarked cassettes, over concerns of contaminating their chemicals. Hadn't even thought about the way it was attached as being a potetial problem, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying a roll of 3m tape, #8422. From the description, it sounds like this is the right kind.

I suspect that when I originally attached the film to the spool I used too much tape on the film itself. So the tape extended out of the canister when fully unwound and would leave some on the film if the machine did indeed cut it at this point. I'll make sure not to do that next time, even with the correct tape.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-loadable Cassettes - Tape? Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

You can see a few examples of the other types of cassettes here:
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps%20how%20choose%20cassetes.html

I have a handful of the Shirley-Wellard cassettes - amazing little items with really neat engineering. True what Roger says, if they were made today the price would be silly.