Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MAREP 135mm f3.5 TELEPHOTO
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: MAREP 135mm f3.5 TELEPHOTO Reply with quote

Just got this off fleabay. Seems quite OK to my undiscerning eye. Lots of aperture blades give quite an interesting effect stopped down. Shame, but it had been partially dismantled "in the post" and the click detent ball for the aperture was missing. Anyone know of source for steel balls like these???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You and I are the only two Marep owners in the World, if searches are to be believed.
I have a Marep 200mm which superficially seems like a nice enough lens, until the sun comes out - then it flares, oh man, it flares. It's like a mini-sun has taken up residence in the barrel.
According to the VM, Marep was a house brand of a London importer/shop in the 60s/70s, but nothing else can be found about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MAREP 135mm f3.5 TELEPHOTO Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Shame, but it had been partially dismantled "in the post" and the click detent ball for the aperture was missing. Anyone know of source for steel balls like these???

You can use the roller out of a ballpoint pen. Cheap, easy to get, and available in various sizes. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise the style...it looks a bit like the tiny Tokina 100/4 myself and Luis have as a Palinar 100/4...

http://forum.mflenses.com/palinar-tokina-100-4-m42-preset-the-smallest-tokina-t11952.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a T-mount on the bottom? I just noticed how narrow this lens is! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Is that a T-mount on the bottom? I just noticed how narrow this lens is! Shocked

Yes, it's a relatively chunky T2 to EOS adapter on the bottom. Lens is pretty narrow. If I remember, I'll measure it tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Congratulations! You and I are the only two Marep owners in the World, if searches are to be believed.
I have a Marep 200mm which superficially seems like a nice enough lens, until the sun comes out - then it flares, oh man, it flares. It's like a mini-sun has taken up residence in the barrel.
According to the VM, Marep was a house brand of a London importer/shop in the 60s/70s, but nothing else can be found about it.

LOL Very Happy

If there are only two in the whole world, then that makes them incredibly rare and valuable Smile Probably find they only sold them to the Beatles or some other well known band.

I thought I had found a gold-mine in my Fontron, but now looks like I have two. I need to try a few more shots through them to see what they are like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: MAREP 135mm f3.5 TELEPHOTO Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:
Shame, but it had been partially dismantled "in the post" and the click detent ball for the aperture was missing. Anyone know of source for steel balls like these???

You can use the roller out of a ballpoint pen. Cheap, easy to get, and available in various sizes. Cool

Excellent idea, thanks for the tip Smile Tip! Geddit ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hei hei hei!

also me have a marep 135mm!!

is a strange lense, over f6.3 make a lot of flare
in centre of frame!!

I think tath lense is suitable only between f3.5 and f5.6, quality is nothing special but the boke is nice!

see my pic with marep 135mm: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kokkodrillo/sets/72157624017103963/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verdurina wrote:
hei hei hei!

also me have a marep 135mm!!

is a strange lense, over f6.3 make a lot of flare
in centre of frame!!

Hey, that makes three in the world Smile

Boy it does flare doesn't it? Excellent shots though. Love 005 in the series, good bokeh. Quite sharp too.

Because of many things getting in the way, I haven't had a chance to use it tonight, but I want to try it ou with my daughter tomorrow and see if I can get a half way decent portrait.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

I have just paid $14.99 for VM and can find no moention of MAREP. Have I got a duff copy of the bible? Sad

OK, it's in the zip file - phew - thought I'd bought a bum steer Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thak you!
I paid 10.99€ for this lens!
if you use this lens @ f3.5 to f5.6 you can take decent pic! Smile
good luck! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Hi, yes, main barrel is 50mm diameter and the hood is 67mm OD. Length without the adapter or the hood is 90mm. Looks like the hood is mandatory though and even then flare seems to be the problem Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verdurina wrote:
thak you!
good luck! Smile

About what I picked mine up for. My serial number is No. 12547 and I read yours as No. 13156 so, unless the serial is some form of date code, seems like a lot of these lenses are missing ....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
verdurina wrote:
thak you!
good luck! Smile

About what I picked mine up for. My serial number is No. 12547 and I read yours as No. 13156 so, unless the serial is some form of date code, seems like a lot of these lenses are missing ....

I don't know, I am not expert in these things! Smile