Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I let an 'average' shot into the wild? SMC Tak 35/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yes?
Of course!
100%
 100%  [ 18 ]
What? Are you an idiot? Of course not!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Should I let an 'average' shot into the wild? SMC Tak 35/2 Reply with quote

My step-sister in law has asked for a full-res jpeg of a fairly average pic taken in awful light (above) so she can get it blown up and framed.

should I say yes? (she's family, and the baby girl is 1 day old. my opinion could be wrong.)

or

should I say no? (I'm careful with the photos that I let people frame - and this is not good enough imo).

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you don't like about this pic Froggeh?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that your step-sister in law isn't going to print it because of its technical qualities... she's going to print it because of the moment it captured. Wink

I do find it a bit surprising though, that you are considering not letting a family member have the photo, yet you have posted the image here for the whole world to see. Neutral

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's her wall so why not?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ?

You are thinking (as most of us here) as a "pixel peeper" ... she's not.

Just look at the awfull pictures people proudly publish on their Facebook wall ... you've got nothing to be ashamed !

A little crop to eliminate the black shoulder on the left, corrected white balance and light sharpening will do nicely.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you will give her the print.

If you want to quieten the pixel-peeping devil inside you, you could always lower saturation a little (less red on skin) and assign a white control point (to wash away the yellow lighting).

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a moment captured in time that will NEVER happen again...
I'm with the guys Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one problem you have to live with. You made a picture on an important moment that is technically not as good as you wanted. The moment is of more weight than the quality standards you want to maintain for prints. OK, you should have done better, but I am sure that is now way a reason to reject the print you can make her happy with!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about you, but most of my childhood photos are not perfect yet I cherish them as much since those are the only memory I have.

I am sure when your niece grow up, she will remember this photo taken by uncle Froggeh when she was 1 day old.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it to her...it is perfect!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of cropping and tone-adjusting in photoshop and it's just perfect.
Most of the times it's still the contents that really count in the images of our loved ones, rather than the technical perfection.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
This is a moment captured in time that will NEVER happen again...
I'm with the guys Wink

Me too. I couldn't say it better.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

Nice capture of the moment. You won't get it again (at least not the same Smile )

My only suggestion:
cut a little on the left, and little on the bottom,
this way, the black area won't distract anymore.

And try to make a BW and see, how good the moment was captured Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this shot has to be framed ! great one !

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not be technically perfect, but it's portrayed a moment one would not forget ever. Get it framed, absolutely. Smile That said, they're so cute and tender. A great capture.

Cheers, M.-