Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-extenders - any experience?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Tele-extenders - any experience? Reply with quote

(not converters)

I mean those $15 that are "Made of metal (not plastic)"
Like this: Click here to see on Ebay

Are they worth the money, if one sometimes sees a very distant interesting object but doesn't want to keep "Wundertüte" with you all the time. Smile

EDIT: btw the "Product description" on the link is .. ? I don't even understand what they want to say. Nice duck anyways.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tele-extenders - any experience? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
EDIT: btw the "Product description" on the link is .. ? I don't even understand what they want to say. Nice duck anyways.

ebay auction wrote:
Product Description :

1). Teleconverter Telephoto pitch, also known as mirror, it is a body installed in between the lens and the camera optical attachment is to be extended to two times the focal length or 2.2 times the lens of subsidiary device. Teleconverter lens installed on the first and then use them.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've never used the screw-on tele-extenders, but I've used the screw on wide-angle & fisheye converters. In my experience, they come in three categories:
  • 1) Designed for a specific camera & lens by the same manufacturer, performing reasonably well on that camera/lens. Performs OK on other cameras/lenses.
  • 2) Designed for a specific camera & lens by the same manufacturer, performing reasonably well on that camera/lens. Performs horribly on other cameras/lenses.
  • 3) Designed as a "universal" conversion lens by a third-party manufacturer, with the same lens performing anywhere from decent to horrible depending on which camera/lens it is paired with.

So, it is a bit of a minefield... Confused

I do remember reading a discussion once about how front-mounted tele-extenders and rear-mounted tele-converters make the light form different optical paths through the lens. With a rear-mounted TC, the center part of the image is expanded to fill the frame and the outside part of the image is not used... whereas the front-mounted conversion lens changes the angles for the light entering the main lens such that the main lens uses its entire optical path as normal. It was a good discussion, although I can't remember the conclusion...

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an Olympus T-Con 1.7 which happened to fit my Fuji S7000, which is ok. I wouldn't want to enlarge the results too far, though.
This is a centre crop taken from the frame shot with the TC on the front of the main lens.

A bit of CA, but all things considered, usable enough if you want a record shot.