Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D7000 DXOMark
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Nikon D7000 DXOMark Reply with quote

Looks like another cracker with the Sony sensor. Pentax have the slight upper hand with dynamic range and colour, but Nikon have improved high ISO performance marginally over the K-5...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/All-tested-sensors/Nikon/D7000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how come a lot of the charts, the ISO starts with less than 100?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think base ISO is 80 on that sensor isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Any idea how come a lot of the charts, the ISO starts with less than 100?

They measure the actual ISO at base. So in this case the 100 on the camera is really ~80 on their tests.

I have been using the camera for the past month, and it has completely blown me away. It's absolutely insane in low light situations, usable for print up to 3600 and web to 6400.

I love the focus indicator on the lower left of the viewfinder that tells me how off my focus is and whether it is in front or behind. It seriously discourages me from getting non-mf lenses.
[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D7000 DXOMark Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks like another cracker with the Sony sensor. Pentax have the slight upper hand with dynamic range and colour, but Nikon have improved high ISO performance marginally over the K-5...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/All-tested-sensors/Nikon/D7000

Where did you read that? The DxOmark data indicates that the Pentax K-5 is better in the high-ISO realm, but not by much. They are using the same sensor...

It's a very nice cam though!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D7000 DXOMark Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Where did you read that? The DxOmark data indicates that the Pentax K-5 is better in the high-ISO realm, but not by much. They are using the same sensor...

Well the sports score was 1162 for Pentax and 1167 for Nikon Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D7000 DXOMark Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Haha, so it's definitely sample variation. I don't doubt at all that the D7000 and the K-5 are using the same sensor, despite what Nikon says about it being made to Nikon specifications.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Geoff C. Bassett"]
my_photography wrote:

I love the focus indicator on the lower left of the viewfinder that tells me how off my focus is and whether it is in front or behind. It seriously discourages me from getting non-mf lenses.

Now that's a nice gadget to have. Looks like the dslr is finally coming into its own Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nesster"]
Geoff C. Bassett wrote:
my_photography wrote:

Now that's a nice gadget to have. Looks like the dslr is finally coming into its own Laughing

Nikon call the "gadget" a "rangefinder". It's been around for a while. On low level cameras it only works with "chipped" lenses (AFS, AFD, etc. and, I think, those with external chips such as the dandelion).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old Nikon D50 which only has the green focus confirmation dot. It works with all my manual focus unchipped lenses & is spot on with every one of them. I have heard reports that the dot is not very accurate but since using this camera, ALL of my shots have been in sharp focus. It is certainly better than nothing. Apparently the better cameras have a >o< arrangement for manual focussing which is easier to use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pentaxes (though I don't know about the latest models) have the green dot only, and it can be inaccurate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieBob wrote:
Apparently the better cameras have a >o< arrangement for manual focussing which is easier to use.

It's funny how features come and go on cameras... My Pentax ME-F from the early 80s has the >o< focus indicators. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon D7000 DXOMark Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Haha, so it's definitely sample variation. I don't doubt at all that the D7000 and the K-5 are using the same sensor, despite what Nikon says about it being made to Nikon specifications.

Definitely sample variations and lenses play a factor as well. This is ISO 6400 @ 1/60 Taken with a 50mm Nikon Series E f/1.8 @ f/2.8. In body noise reduction on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

That's very interesting. I didn't know that.
Does anybody know how this worked?
What is the "focus selector" good for (image 1) and what is on page 31?