Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Snobbery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
I'm glad there are plenty of suckers paying top dollar for future used equipment. It keeps the manufacturers busy improving and selling with costs coming down due to volume.

Well, you nailed it better than I could - I agree 100%

fish4570 wrote:
a major North American hunting/shooting forum that was once infected by Remington rifle/Leupold scope/Zeiss binocular snobs.

Oh dear... happy to hear you smoked them out!

I am becoming better at controlling my urge to say something whenever I could, be it internet forums or in the company of others. One time I ran into a guy with a Flodman shotgun (titanium double barrel, custom made on order only, costs a fortune yada yada) and pockets filled with buckshot shells for a duck hunt... I kept quiet that time Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon needs the R&D money for my next 5dmkIII Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to feel REAL snobbery, carry a Pentax! Rolling Eyes

There was a huge bunch of photographers on the march where I live ( a big tourist trap ) a while back. probably a Flickr group on a mutual masturbation day out.
Anyway, I strolled through with with my battered K10 and an even more battered Soligor 135mm hanging off my shoulder and you could hear the collective sigh of relief when they realised I wasn't one of them! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

There was a huge bunch of photographers on the march where I live ( a big tourist trap ) a while back. probably a Flickr group on a mutual masturbation day out.
Anyway, I strolled through with with my battered K10 and an even more battered Soligor 135mm hanging off my shoulder and you could hear the collective sigh of relief when they realised I wasn't one of them! Laughing

Haha, I can only imagine Laughing

That said, I've experienced some strange looks and comments for me using mostly mf lenses as well. Esp. from a friend of mine, who always nags me that I should go out and buy modern Nikon stuff instead of using a Canon with old manual lenses... Rolling Eyes But I don't really care. I just do what I feel comfortable with and that's that. In the end it just comes down to personal preference. I like the feel and character of a old lens more than a modern lens which feels pretty sterile to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I have read this thread with amusement but this one made me break out laughing.

I used to participate in woodworking forums & like cameras & guns we had tool snobs that had the newest & best of everything but never posted pics of completed projects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

You're as never as poor as when you stroll around with a Zenith and domiplan lens around your neck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Funny. Now that you mention it, Helsinki hipsters walk around with film Pentax M42's on sunny days. I made the observation with another photog when we sat down to watch passers by in a park, calculating market shares Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use some of canon L glass, 135L 2 is one of my favorite lenses, but it doesnt attract much attention because it's black. Smile

Most attention I attract when using my pinhole camera - sometimes people form a circle around me which makes landscape photography pretty difficult. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously,
some canon L glass can give excellent results, like 135L, 85L, only problem I have I am not very happy with colors produced by canon lenses - It was the main reason why I bought some manual lenses - Zeiss T* coating is much better and Rollei HFT produces the best colors for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've attracted a lot of interest with MF lenses and converted several DSLR users to using MF lenses Smile It's such great fun and cheap cheap cheap like the budgie! I have some nice AF lenses, but I never user them. I prefer to manual focus and know that the results I got all took that little extra bit of skill Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar lenses aren't high end?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Laf! Sure they are. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ron, I believe you are right about woodworking tools also attracting gadget fans. In fact I was admiring your adjustable hole cutter. Very Happy

Have a look at my woodworking...
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Actually the way I see it,I think of some Vivitars that are quite unique each with it's own distinctive characteristics.The same with most lens makers....they all have some lenses that stand out for a particular desired characteristic for the desired results....and they all have lenses that may be limited in abilities that require an experienced photographer to get the most out of the lens.

Sure...I usually mount one of my Canon L lenses and let them make life easy for me....but to tell the truth it's quite interesting and entertaining grabbing a particular MF lens and shooting it where it excels for a week or so to get some unique captures......or mounting a new lens and just get to know it,this happens to us quite often in our ever evolving collections...or in many cases we might grab a lens for captures that are only unique to the lens.

When I go out usually at least one body has an L lens or equivalent and one body has a MF lens....the interesting aspect is,the MF lenses can often be most entertaining and enjoyable to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a pro photographer. In the early years of my career I had a weekend gig where a bunch of pros would shoot models (individually), all at the same location. I had the worst gear of the six or so photog's (Nikon FM and 105/2.8 ). After doing this job for a few months one of the other photog's made a remark about my camera in front of the client. The client said, "He may have the worst equipment here but he takes the best pictures".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Some certainly are. Ever priced a solid cat, or the 135mm f/1.5? Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=865905

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oofff... I don't have the time or energy to plow through that PoTN thread. Add the easy Ken Rockwell card and you KNOW that the whole thread is a complete mistake.

My experience - knowing a guy from my workplace who traded from Canon 5Dmk1 to 5Dmk3 and went on bragging about it, churning out some L lenses from his gadget bag just to show that he got the best of the best - is that average hobby photogs really do believe that more expensive bodies and glass really does equal better photos. I've seen a few of the photos this guy has taken, and they're certainly nothing you couldn't do with a lesser Canon 550D and a kit lens, for example.

But then- you can't totally blame the consumer. Fancy marketing tricks and words make all the difference when purchasing gear. Most camera manufacturers do this naturally, but for some reason Canon seems to attract photogs like the aforementioned analogy of stale meat attracting flies. Go to a press conference, a football match, a fashion shoot, a wedding shoot, a movie gala in Hollywood and what have you - and you mostly see black, white and red-striped gear. Then, next day, you see the photos these people took on toilet paper-equivalent newspapers where the quality of the paper is so bad that colors bleed all over and sharpness isn't even an issue.

Don't get me wrong - I don't have Canon gear (except my 24-105/4 L IS USM........... coffee cup) but I certainly don't have anything against Canon. I'm sure they make great gear, but my choice was Nikon due to family heritage and a choice of accessories and stuff that suited my need better than Canon.

My grudge is with folks who think that Canon is the "final solution" and other brands shouldn't even be considered. These inconsiderate people who buy Canon because they see Canon with pro shooters just go to show that there are a good bunch of people who don't know what they're doing, WHY they're doing it and what potential they could have if they gave thought to cross-comparing gear to see what they like best. If Canon is what they honestly and truly like - great! Pentax? Cool! Nikon! As good as any!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I immediately had to think of this thread when I saw this pic. Many of those so called Lens-Snobs who only preach about the goodness of the expensive lenses, can't even use their cameras in manual mode. My uncle for example. He's got a 5d and 2 to 3 expensive lenses, and he always uses the Mighty Green Rectangle. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise there was another forum member here in Portland? Smile Smile

We can swap war stories about how waterproof our cameras are! lol

Doug

Kram wrote:
I am a pro photographer. In the early years of my career I had a weekend gig where a bunch of pros would shoot models (individually), all at the same location. I had the worst gear of the six or so photog's (Nikon FM and 105/2.8 ). After doing this job for a few months one of the other photog's made a remark about my camera in front of the client. The client said, "He may have the worst equipment here but he takes the best pictures".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Canon 5D mk3??

Hmm must be a rare beast! lol

Doug

larsr wrote:
Oofff... I don't have the time or energy to plow through that PoTN thread. Add the easy Ken Rockwell card and you KNOW that the whole thread is a complete mistake.

My experience - knowing a guy from my workplace who traded from Canon 5Dmk1 to 5Dmk3 and went on bragging about it, churning out some L lenses from his gadget bag just to show that he got the best of the best - is that average hobby photogs really do believe that more expensive bodies and glass really does equal better photos. I've seen a few of the photos this guy has taken, and they're certainly nothing you couldn't do with a lesser Canon 550D and a kit lens, for example.

But then- you can't totally blame the consumer. Fancy marketing tricks and words make all the difference when purchasing gear. Most camera manufacturers do this naturally, but for some reason Canon seems to attract photogs like the aforementioned analogy of stale meat attracting flies. Go to a press conference, a football match, a fashion shoot, a wedding shoot, a movie gala in Hollywood and what have you - and you mostly see black, white and red-striped gear. Then, next day, you see the photos these people took on toilet paper-equivalent newspapers where the quality of the paper is so bad that colors bleed all over and sharpness isn't even an issue.

Don't get me wrong - I don't have Canon gear (except my 24-105/4 L IS USM........... coffee cup) but I certainly don't have anything against Canon. I'm sure they make great gear, but my choice was Nikon due to family heritage and a choice of accessories and stuff that suited my need better than Canon.

My grudge is with folks who think that Canon is the "final solution" and other brands shouldn't even be considered. These inconsiderate people who buy Canon because they see Canon with pro shooters just go to show that there are a good bunch of people who don't know what they're doing, WHY they're doing it and what potential they could have if they gave thought to cross-comparing gear to see what they like best. If Canon is what they honestly and truly like - great! Pentax? Cool! Nikon! As good as any!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
woodrim wrote:

135mm f/1.5? I don't know about that one. I've searched the 135's while on my hunt for a Series 1 and don't recall ever seeing one. When were they made?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
woodrim wrote:

135mm f/1.5? I don't know about that one. I've searched the 135's while on my hunt for a Series 1 and don't recall ever seeing one. When were they made?

See link here from old posting but not sure if series 1.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-135mm-f1-5-lens-bad-boy-t20417.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sample pictures ever came. It said 1970 and I noticed it was a pre-set. Quite a monster.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Canon shooter with an L lens has got anything on me and my Burnett Combo Laughing

I was at a nearby arboretum about a month ago during the annual "Lilac Sunday" festival, and the place was swarming with photogs (yes, many with their white lenses). Almost all of them turned in amazement at the beast *I* was lugging around as they passed me by. I had the opportuninty to jokingly comment on more than one occasion "What camera? That's not a camera, *this* is a camera!" :-DDD