Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Snobbery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawhead, lovely beast. A Crown Graphic with what lens? Love to see what you've shot with this.

Good to see another SL-66 shooter too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and your biceps are getting bigger too, from what I remember. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Rawhead, lovely beast. A Crown Graphic with what lens? Love to see what you've shot with this.

Kram, thanks Smile You can see some of the shots in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/shots-with-the-burnett-combo-t26888.html

More here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%22aero%20ektar%22&w=88929764%40N00

I like the SL66 quite a bit, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot much with it before I realized the shutter was slow at high speeds (pretty much everything above 1/125 was shooting @ 1/125 Sad So it's gone to Ross Yerkes in LA for repair.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
...and your biceps are getting bigger too, from what I remember. Laughing

Well I don't know about that, Bruce, I think I've just grown in all part of my body, as evidenced in my double chin you see there Laughing It's true, however, that I get most of my weight lifting workout in my arms through carrying this beast around often Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Kram wrote:

Kram, thanks Smile You can see some of the shots in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/shots-with-the-burnett-combo-t26888.html

More here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%22aero%20ektar%22&w=88929764%40N00

I like the SL66 quite a bit, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot much with it before I realized the shutter was slow at high speeds (pretty much everything above 1/125 was shooting @ 1/125 Sad So it's gone to Ross Yerkes in LA for repair.

And here I thought my LBA was put to rest. Great shots and very inspiring. That Aero Ektar shoots amazingly dreamy imagery.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=865905

I am taking part in this thread right now. I suggested a cheap canon lens can be close to a more expensive one under certain situations such as F/8 and printed at A3 but this was automatically twisted around to me saying that I loved the lens and that I thought it was just as good as any more expensive lens under any shooting situations. I was then accused of trying to "decieve newcomers" into beliving cheap lenses are just as good as top of the range ones. One particular chap kept repeating the word snob despite me not using the word once.

It's funny because I didn't have twist anybody's words or take things out of context to prove my point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
There's a Canon 5D mk3??

Hmm must be a rare beast! lol

Doug

Lol :D I meant a Canon 5Dmk2 of course :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to shot with my 5D and the following lenses:

16-35/2.8L
28-70/2.8L
80-200/2.8L

This is a really nice setup and pretty much everything I needed for everyday photography... But then I started to realize that my pics got better with MF lenses.
Why? Well, I guess it's for the same reason many people think they get better pics when using a tripod. You slow down and think more about the shot. That along with an interest for certain older lenses with some special caracter that cannot be found (or atleast not affordable among newer ones)...

I sold my 80-200 to buy the Voigtländer 180/4 APO Lanthar and the 28-70 to finance CZ Distagon 28/2. Smile
I don't regret it, but I could miss the zooms at some situations where it would be handy and I don't need the "artistic touch" (Wink).

I'm keeping the 16-35 as an ultrawide point & shoot and I'm thinking about buying a 70-200/4 for it's size and IQ.
One reason for buying an L lens is build quality. Some of Canons L lenses almost feels as good as and old, german lens from the late 70's for example. Smile

And by that said, I want to point out that I are a true amateur.

Regarding snobbery I haven't seen in reality, just at internet forums.
People mostly interested in my lenses are often curious and have a basic knowledge in photography and it often leads to interesting discussions about gear. I'm happy to explain the those old, cheap lenses might as well give image quality good as some lens that I could never even think about affording.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
I am sorry, but it is quite obvious that NONE of you know what you are talking about..

If you had the smallest smidgeon of intelligence and appreciation of great literature, let alone great glass, you would no doubt have read the famous phrase:

the road to L is paved with good intentions'?

Very Happy Smile Smile

Doug

LOLLOLLOL!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
woodrim wrote:
My Vivitar lenses aren't high end?

Actually the way I see it,I think of some Vivitars that are quite unique each with it's own distinctive characteristics.The same with most lens makers....they all have some lenses that stand out for a particular desired characteristic for the desired results....and they all have lenses that may be limited in abilities that require an experienced photographer to get the most out of the lens.

Sure...I usually mount one of my Canon L lenses and let them make life easy for me....but to tell the truth it's quite interesting and entertaining grabbing a particular MF lens and shooting it where it excels for a week or so to get some unique captures......or mounting a new lens and just get to know it,this happens to us quite often in our ever evolving collections...or in many cases we might grab a lens for captures that are only unique to the lens.

When I go out usually at least one body has an L lens or equivalent and one body has a MF lens....the interesting aspect is,the MF lenses can often be most entertaining and enjoyable to use.

Yes, Boomer, I agree. Except for the Canon part, I choose my lens according to my mood or the opportunity. The MF lenses are mostly for fun and as a return to the days when thought and effort were required to take pictures. However, when going to something where I need to be sure I get the shots - and all are in perfect focus, I take my Minolta 35-105 AF. But when it comes to MF, I'm a Vivitar snob, Series 1, that is. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sneaking suspicion you're a Series 1 snob Rolling Eyes ....that said,just mount one and thumb your nose at the Schneider,Zeiss,Leica and Canon snobs.... Laughing

note*The mine is better then yours syndrome is human dynamics in action.... Wink

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: POTN - not quite relevant.. Reply with quote

surely the only section of 'that' other forum that is of concern to MF lens users would be the FD section - which it doesn't have Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Canon FD fans there is a dedicated forum:-

http://photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think manual focus photographers are also prone to snobbery. I see it come in two forms:

1) I am so much more educated about "real" lenses than the average joe. While he spends money on boring modern AF lenses, I know about the classics from Takumar, Zeiss and Leica. I know about unique bokeh and color renderings and micro-contrast and am far too good to waste time on Canon L.

or

2) I am such a good photographer that I don't need those expensive new Nikkor G's and Canon L's. My skill and developed eye lets me take as good or better images with 40 year old throwaway lenses and no AF.

I've seen both kinds on this forum as much as I have seen the L-worshippers on the Canon forums. There is also as many people here as on AF forums who appear to be more into gear collecting than photography. Just because you have 90 manual lenses and a collection of test pictures of leaf bokeh, doesn't make you a great photographer any more than the guy with 4 canon-L's who uses green box.

So I think it goes both ways, it is human nature, and there is nothing that will ever stop it. We are probably all guilty at times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post tkbslc.

I just just thinking the other day how we are all astonished that trifox has managed such stunning shots from an L series Canon FD lens. Surely that's the same or a slightly worse lens than the AF version, and yet many of us MF die hards regularly write off these AF lenses!

For me, MF lenses was the way forward when I couldn't afford decent AF lenses. The results I got were better than the cheap, slow AF lenses I was using before. I suddenly had access to fantasic glass in a varitety of different focal lengths. Did it help my photography? Yes, because I could get fast primes for next to nothing, and I was learning way more about photography that I ever imagined.

So how could L lenses help me become a better photographer now? Well, I am already now used to sharp photos with shallow depth of field. I suppose IS would allow for more depth of field in available light situations and the special elements might reduce CA. At the moment, could I justify the extra £700.00 necessary on top of my Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4, to get the 70-200/4 IS? No way, but I accept that the L lens is more capable in those conditions. So I shouldn't be rude about Canon lenses Wink

Which leads me back to the first point about Trifox's shots. He gets great results because he is a fantastic photographer. Couple Trifox with a battered 300D and kit lens, and he will deliver lovely photos. Give him his 5D II and Contax lenses back and he will deliver you out of this world photos.

I read many photographic magazines and people send in photos taken with the latest camera and most expensive lenses. They have been shooting for 10 years, claim they are experts and yet often their photos are poor. Hook them up with the 300D and kit lens and you will see very little difference.

What is my point? High end gear is high end for a reason. It will help very good photographers to get corner to corner sharpness they demand, shoot in difficult conditions and allow them to be more creative with their photography. But you need a very good photographer first...IMO.

[/ramble]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of us just like joking about AF lenses.
At least, I do.
So the thing should not be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I just just thinking the other day how we are all astonished that trifox has managed such stunning shots from an L series Canon FD lens

Yes, I agree, trifox is the biggest snob here with more than 90 manual lenses and still using the green box Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Shrek wrote:
I just just thinking the other day how we are all astonished that trifox has managed such stunning shots from an L series Canon FD lens

Yes, I agree, trifox is the biggest snob here with more than 90 manual lenses and still using the green box Mr. Green

Haha! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen similar threads on another photography forum and have also experienced this in other hobbies (sport). I think it's great as it shows people care about their photography hobby, they spent a lot of time reading about equipment and buying what they think is the best, and when someone shows up with another setup they are ready to convince you with their own opinion. Imagine if people didn't care about the hobby then why have it then? If better equipment makes a hobbyist a better photographer, well it might or it might not but as it is a hobby I don't really think it matters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say I'm probably somewhere in between a hoarder and a photographer, I buy old MF lenses to try them out, ones that perform well or are interesting I keep, others I sell on.

I use plenty of AF lenses too, some expensive, some cheap because I like to.... well I like to try them out.

I like taking a random lens from my collection, either MF or AF, either a high quality one or one with "quirks" going out and using it and then getting home to see what the results turn out like.

I would not claim to be an especially good photographer, but I enjoy taking photos and I enjoy taking a different lens each time I go out because I enjoy the variety in the results, especially when I get a nice surprise.

I think snobbery applies to both AF and MF, either way people spend a lot of money on gear and take photos very much below my standard and again, I'm the first to admit my images are mediocre at best.

When I post photos using cheap lenses on the canon forum taken with either MF lenses or elderly or cheap Canon AF lenses it does not matter how good the photos are, there are a few members who always attack me, putting words in my mouth and defending more expensive lenses when I haven't even attacked them.

The best lens I own optically is an autofocus Sigma, Canon L lenses are for the most part phenomenally good but having said that, for someone of my means the improvement from mid range lenses is not justifiable. I still have a lot more room to grow as a photographer in terms of technique, composition and good old practice and if need be I can comfortably carry on learning for a long time with the gear I currently own. I suppose by the same reasoning the people that annoy me are those that are photography new borns who can't fully utilize a point and shoot yet spend tens of thousands on gear and software only to achieve appalling images because they lack even the most basic fundamental skills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I would like a 200:1.8L, cannot afford it Crying or Very sad
but it is so big, it would stay in the cabinet
and big white lens are not discreet enough
[url][/url]

This guy must be covering a golf match because he would be at risk of getting killed at an American football game or rugby match. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly. Im gonna throw out my ideas.
Firstly its about the **** size. Yeah, it is. Men feel they are inadequate so they have to buy fast cars, big guns and even bigger lenses. BUUHUU.
Secondly, now whats happening in the forums. Now everyone has surely proven theyr **** size, they now have to start waving it, no need to worrie, just dont feed them, they shut up as soon as they feel themselves as ALPHA-MALES.
Its somekinda need... need to know your gear is THE BEST, like the knowing will make you sleep better at night, so.. FIGHT ONLINE, rawr.
People cant possible believe that the glass they bought wasnt really worth the sum payed, IMPOSSIBLE ! FIGHT !

Think of it. Here, in Estonia. I can get a Helios 44-2 for 50 kronos (~4 dollars) and an used Canon 50 1.8 for 1500 (~120 dollars), can the Canon really be 30 times better, seriously.. 30 TIMES, thats ... impossible.

When I buy gear.
1) Do I need it ?
2) What is the quality/price ratio.

I work in a photostore, so yes, Ive tried them all. To be honest, theres like 3-4 L-s that have blown away me with quality. But I would say that was nothing compared to what I felt when I used a Helios 40 or when I used my 50 1.4 Tak for the first time, just, words cant describe it.

So when people ask me, why do you use MF lenses and film bodies. I explain. Lets say a guy makes sculptures. It takes him long time to make one, but they are beautiful, not perfect, but beautiful in theyr own way. So now theres another guy who builds a factory where machines make one sculpture a second. Ofcourse he has better quality and quantity. But hes sculptures dont have one thing... soul.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed your post Joosep. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so enamored of my "knowledge" of older lenses, but I can't stand to see the brainwashing by clever marketing of people who just parrot the things that have been fed into their heads. (not just lenses, almost anything is programmed into people these days)

While tkbsic is correct in some of his assertions, I just like to accumulate and play with the cheap older stuff. It makes me happy, I don't have any other ulterior motive.

I'm not claiming it makes me any better or worse photographer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
Firstly. Im gonna throw out my ideas.
Firstly its about the **** size. Yeah, it is. Men feel they are inadequate so they have to buy fast cars, big guns and even bigger lenses. BUUHUU.

Are you not a man, or are you just relating? I never did the gun thing, but I do remember liking long lenses. No more though. I even gave up this car a few years ago.. not fast, but loooong Smile ...