Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any tips/pointers on avoiding sun flares?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Any tips/pointers on avoiding sun flares? Reply with quote

Any pointers/best approach as to how shoot this without the sun flares: This was taken with a Super-Takumar 24mm f3.5 with its hood on.

I had to avoid the sun on the next one:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice flare on #1, it add to the pic
have you try T*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One small tip to minimize the flare is to shoot straight at the sun (with the sun perfectly centered in your frame), and then crop your picture after the fact to get the perspective you wanted.

What this does is help to "stack" the small cascading flare spots, which effectively hides them in your bright light source. It won't do anything for the big rings (aside from making them concentric & uniform), but it will help with the spots such as what can be seen over the water.

Note that this technique can also be reversed, depending on the shot. For example, when photographing a bright object with detail (such as the moon), you would specifically want to shift the bright object AWAY from the center of the frame... so that the flare patches fall outside of the object. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
One small tip to minimize the flare is to shoot straight at the sun (with the sun perfectly centered in your frame)

Aaargh my eyes .. what does the rest of this post say? Cool Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu: I love the effect on that particular one too~but it's nice to be able to turn it off,when you want . Thanks.

Scheimpflug: Great pointers , thank you.
In the image in question , I kept the sun in the middle, and moving camera position/height and angle to avoid the smaller flare spots (your description is excellent)and trying not to loose the frame you want to capture at the same time.

kansalliskala: It can't be good for your eyes to stare at the sun too long. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
One small tip to minimize the flare is to shoot straight at the sun (with the sun perfectly centered in your frame)

Aaargh my eyes .. what does the rest of this post say? Cool Smile

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the S-M-C version? Smile (joking)

Was filter attached? Remove. No? Try multi-coated filter.

What camera? Thinking lens is okay, reflection is from sensor. Was flare seen in viewfinder?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips/pointers on avoiding sun flares? Reply with quote

Live in Oregon USA... 222 days a year of cloud!

Doug

Kathmandu wrote:
Any pointers/best approach as to how shoot this without the sun flares: This was taken with a Super-Takumar 24mm f3.5 with its hood on.

I had to avoid the sun on the next one:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Get the S-M-C version? Smile (joking)

Was filter attached? Remove. No? Try multi-coated filter.

What camera? Thinking lens is okay, reflection is from sensor. Was flare seen in viewfinder?

No filters attached, just commando. I did not know that about MC filters-I will certainly give that a go. Yes flare is present in viewfinder-the sensor seems to help-(its a Sony DSLR)-I see less flares in image captured than in view finder.

Doug wrote:
Live in Oregon USA... 222 days a year of cloud!

Doug

We've had a streak of sunny weather lately here in North West Washington.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flare looks superb in your first photo, I would not want to avoid it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear you-it does have an appeal. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips/pointers on avoiding sun flares? Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:

Change the lens Smile

Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 Preset