Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lens ~ 100mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Which lens ~ 100mm? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting new "ultimate" macro/portrait/short tele lens in long term. I already have Tamron 2.8/90 AF, so 1:1 isn't necessary.
After experiences with APO Lanthar 180 and APO-TELYT I highly prefer real APO lens. The lens will be used on Pentax system.

There is plenty of possible options:

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100
++ fastest - f2
+ new
+ native Pentax mount
-- not APO
--- price 1600€ Sad

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2.8/100 for C/Y
+ 1:1
++ price ~ 500€
+/- I don't know if it is possible to convert it to Pentax K mount.
-- not APO
-- there isn't much of them floating around

Voigtländer APO Lanthar 2.5/125 SL
+ native Pentax mount
++ APO
--- price ~ 1500€
-- almost impossible to get (and probably impossible to get it cheaper)

Voigtländer APO Lanthar 3.5/90 SL/SL II
++ APO - i don't know, how it compares to 125 Lanthar or Lecia Macro-Elmarit
+ native Pentax mount
+ new or used
++ price <500€
- relatively slow

LEICA APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R 2.8/100
++ APO
+ prices around 850€ used in mint condition
+ I really like Leica colors for portraits
+ plenty of them on used market (in comparison to Voigtlanders or Zeisses)

I must say that I incline towards Leica. According to different options I get at least the same quality (and maybe in some areas even better performance) at half the price of 125 Lanthar or Makro-Planar.
But the 90 Lanthar is half the price of Leica... Confused

Please post your opinions, experiences and suggestions. Or propose another comparable lens (even AF). Some members own almost all from above mentioned lenses. I'll be very glad if you can post some comparison, especially between Leica and 90 Lanthar.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which lens ~ 100mm? Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
After experiences with APO Lanthar 180 and APO-TELYT I highly prefer real APO lens.

I must say that I incline towards Leica. According to different options I get at least the same quality (and maybe in some areas even better performance) at half the price of 125 Lanthar or Makro-Planar.

Please post your opinions, experiences and suggestions. Or propose another comparable lens (even AF). Some members own almost all from above mentioned lenses. I'll be very glad if you can post some comparison, especially between Leica and 90 Lanthar.

There was a thread just recently about the APO & non-APO 2/90 Leicas...
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-r-2-90-vs-leica-r-2-90-apo-t28428.html

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Macro Planars are awesome according to shots I have seen. The same I may tell about Voights. 90 Lanthar is really awesome lens for a really reasonable price. After I've got my Lanthar I have the same feelings to APO lenses as you Very Happy And yes I am looking for APO lenses for all possible focal distances Twisted Evil Reality shows us 90 Lanthar is the cheapest of all those big brothers. But we couldn't state the same in the terms of picture quality. 90 Lanthar pictures are brilliant but yes I do miss faster apertures some times. That is why I have Planar 85/1.4 Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Leica 100 APO and while a superb lens, it has a very long focus throw that renders it less practical as a short tele but highly accurate for macro. It does display subtle field curvature and perhaps ever so slight barrel distortion at longer distances. Ergonomically, it is somewhat cumbersome. The Leica 90 Summicron, which I've shot several times is small and compact, has great ergonomics but as you know, is not macro. The CV 90, one of my favorite possessions, is sharp, compact, renders colors vividly and focuses close but the bokeh, though pleasing, remains underdeveloped because of the max aperture of 3.5. Dramatically isolating objects and people at that aperture cannot really be achieved. The Zeiss 100, another lens I passingly tried, is ergonomically great, amazingly sharp, native to the Pentax mount (as you mentioned) and its shorter focus throw lends to its use as a tele/portrait lens in addition to other applications, such as landscapes or stitching (true planar) but beware of the serious CA in the OOF areas. If you're sensitive to CA, it can be annoying when shooting @ f/2-2.8. I think you can find it used for far less than 1600 euros. As for the CV 125, the 90 SL II just shipped so if that's next, I doubt it will be out before mid-2011.

After all is said and done, I would recommend the Leica 100 APO; a 3-cam version probably can be had for ~750-850 euros (again, as you noted) and a Leitax mount for Pentax, another 80 euros. It's the happiest compromise.

Here's a great article on the CV 125 vs. Zeiss 100 vs. Leica 100 APO:
http://slrlensreview.com/web/benchmarks-resources-131/134-macro-challenge/521-macro-challenge-part-1.html

...and another on the Leica alone:
http://slrlensreview.com/web/leica-slr-lenses-133/macro-slr-lenses-141/418-leica-apo-macro-elmarit-r-100mm-f28-leica-apo-macro-elmarit-r-100mm-f28-e60-lens-review.html

...and yet another on the Zeiss 100:
http://slrlensreview.com/web/carl-zeiss-slr-lenses-51/macro-slr-lenses-96/287-carl-zeiss-makro-planar-t-100mm-f20-zf-lens-review.html

Last edited by james on Thu May 20, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Why not consider some Nikon alternatives? Reply with quote

Why not consider the Nikon 105mm f2.5 Ai-S?....It is legendary for its great bokeh, its razor sharp and it has great contrast too. Build quality is first rate and the focus dial is smooth and silky to use.
Its a lot cheaper, and a bit sharper than the much dearer and not a whole lot faster 105mm f1.8 Ai-S.
OK, so its not an APO lens or even a macro lens...Its just a great lens but it can sometimes be found at bargain basement prices on ebay...Mint for less than £150!
Heres one going for less than £120 on a buy it now auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-105mm-f2-5-Lens-Ai-S-manual-focus-160mm-w-digital-/180247028418?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item29f78f62c2

Another one really worth considering is the Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Ai-S, which of course also offers razor sharp macros...Its not as cheap as the 105/2.5 Ai-S, typically £250 plus and the average for a mint one can be about £500...However, I managed to find this one on a buy it now auction for under £240!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-105mm-f2-8-Nikkor-AI-S-AIS-micro-macro-/380147357584?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item58828c5790

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makro-Planar 2.8/100 C/Y, of course Smile

it;s not APO but ... it;s great ..

tf

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which lens ~ 100mm? Reply with quote

And you don't fancy the brilliant 100mm f2.8 A series macro lens from Pentax themselves because???

Doug

BRunner wrote:
I'm thinking about getting new "ultimate" macro/portrait/short tele lens in long term. I already have Tamron 2.8/90 AF, so 1:1 isn't necessary.
After experiences with APO Lanthar 180 and APO-TELYT I highly prefer real APO lens. The lens will be used on Pentax system.

There is plenty of possible options:

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100
++ fastest - f2
+ new
+ native Pentax mount
-- not APO
--- price 1600€ Sad

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2.8/100 for C/Y
++ price ~ 500€
+/- I don't know if it is possible to convert it to Pentax K mount.
-- not APO
-- there isn't much of them floating around

Voigtländer APO Lanthar 2.5/125 SL
+ native Pentax mount
++ APO
--- price ~ 1500€
-- almost impossible to get (and probably impossible to get it cheaper)

Voigtländer APO Lanthar 3.5/90 SL/SL II
++ APO - i don't know, how it compares to 125 Lanthar or Lecia Macro-Elmarit
+ native Pentax mount
+ new or used
++ price <500€
- relatively slow

LEICA APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R 2.8/100
++ APO
+ prices around 850€ used in mint condition
+ I really like Leica colors for portraits
+ plenty of them on used market (in comparison to Voigtlanders or Zeisses)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apo and fast enough for typical portrait use (f/2), I think there's only the Apo Summicron-R 90/2, but surely not cheap.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not consider some Nikon alternatives? Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Why not consider the Nikon 105mm f2.5 Ai-S?....It is legendary for its great bokeh, its razor sharp and it has great contrast too. Build quality is first rate and the focus dial is smooth and silky to use.
Its a lot cheaper, and a bit sharper than the much dearer and not a whole lot faster 105mm f1.8 Ai-S.
OK, so its not an APO lens or even a macro lens...Its just a great lens but it can sometimes be found at bargain basement prices on ebay...Mint for less than £150!
Heres one going for less than £120 on a buy it now auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-105mm-f2-5-Lens-Ai-S-manual-focus-160mm-w-digital-/180247028418?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item29f78f62c2

Another one really worth considering is the Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Ai-S, which of course also offers razor sharp macros...Its not as cheap as the 105/2.5 Ai-S, typically £250 plus and the average for a mint one can be about £500...However, I managed to find this one on a buy it now auction for under £240!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-105mm-f2-8-Nikkor-AI-S-AIS-micro-macro-/380147357584?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item58828c5790

Best of luck.

+10

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio: the last Leica R 90 Summicron APO i saw on eBay went for $2900. painful option.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats about the Zuiko Makro 2/90mm with floating elements?

Should be another reference in his class. As far as i know not APO but excellent and fast . Dont try the lens by myself , but we have a presentation in our german forum for this glas. And as i did read, Attila did own one copy.

Here a short link (sorry, only in german language.. use online translation)

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?12456-Olympus-Zuiko-Auto-Macro-50-und-90mm-f2

I know, its very rar..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry the Zuiko is fantastic.
It is not Pentax compatical as the OP needs.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upss.. didnt realized that.. sorry. Embarassed

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which lens ~ 100mm? Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

james wrote:
The Leica 90 Summicron, which I've shot several times is small and compact, has great ergonomics but as you know, is not macro.

Orio wrote:
Apo and fast enough for typical portrait use (f/2), I think there's only the Apo Summicron-R 90/2, but surely not cheap.

I read this thread carefully, unfortunately not much information about APO'cron but it brings me to idea, that nonAPO Summicron 90 and latest Elmarit 90 are worth of checking. I will try to find more images which are more informative about CA performance of those lenses.
The APO Summicron is very tempting lens, but price for used one is even higher than new Macro-Planar :-/

james wrote:
...The Zeiss 100....but beware of the serious CA in the OOF areas. If you're sensitive to CA, it can be annoying when shooting @ f/2-2.8.....
http://slrlensreview.com/web/benchmarks-resources-131/134-macro-challenge/521-macro-challenge-part-1.html

Thank you for very comprehensive answer. I saw some examples from Zeiss Makro-Planar where the LoCAs completely ruins the image in my eyes (yes, I became very sensitive to CAs).
While I read all reviews of mentioned lenses on the slrlensreview, I missed this comparison. Looks like Leica has very slight edge in most areas (surely irrelevant in real life - except maybe the lowest CAs).

DSG wrote:
Why not consider the Nikon 105mm f2.5 Ai-S?.... Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Ai-S, which of course also offers razor sharp macros...

I didn't consider the Nikkors because of complicated conversion to Pentax mount and (as you mentioned) they are not APO and macro lenses.

nemesis101 wrote:
And you don't fancy the brilliant 100mm f2.8 A series macro lens from Pentax themselves because???

I considered Pentax DFA/DA 100 Macro, but it's performance is very close to my Tamron 90 Macro. The A version is different optical schema (7/7 vs. 9/8 ), but I don't expect it will perform better than it's later AF counterparts.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which lens ~ 100mm? Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

james wrote:
The Leica 90 Summicron, which I've shot several times is small and compact, has great ergonomics but as you know, is not macro.

Orio wrote:

I read this thread carefully, unfortunately not much information about APO'cron but it brings me to idea, that nonAPO Summicron 90 and latest Elmarit 90 are worth of checking. I will try to find more images which are more informative about CA performance of those lenses.
The APO Summicron is very tempting lens, but price for used one is even higher than new Macro-Planar :-/

james wrote:
...The Zeiss 100....but beware of the serious CA in the OOF areas. If you're sensitive to CA, it can be annoying when shooting @ f/2-2.8.....

Thank you for very comprehensive answer. I saw some examples from Zeiss Makro-Planar where the LoCAs completely ruins the image in my eyes (yes, I became very sensitive to CAs).
While I read all reviews of mentioned lenses on the slrlensreview, I missed this comparison. Looks like Leica has very slight edge in most areas (surely irrelevant in real life - except maybe the lowest CAs).

DSG wrote:
Why not consider the Nikon 105mm f2.5 Ai-S?.... Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Ai-S, which of course also offers razor sharp macros...

I didn't consider the Nikkors because of complicated conversion to Pentax mount and (as you mentioned) they are not APO and macro lenses.

The 105/2.5 Ai-S is easy to convert...I converted mine to SA mount.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the non Apo 90`cron, wide open it produces a lot of CA`s.
But stopping down to F2.8 almost solves this problem.
Its a very beautyful lens with enogh sharpnes, a woundeful Bokeh and nice colours.

Here you can find samples

http://forum.mflenses.com/portraitworks-with-leitz-summicron-2-90-in-bandw-t25980.html

F2

100% crop no sharpening

F2.8

100% crop no sharpening

Timo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to update. I carefully did my home works and examined lots of images from all above mentioned lenses (Zeiss Planars, Leica 90 'crons and Elmarit, Nikkor, Pentax DFA 100).

All of them shows LoCAs and CAs in harsh light conditions. See here:
CZ Makro-Planar 2/100
Nikkor 2.5/105
CZ Makro-Planar 2.8/100 and here. It is very hard to find full size samples from this lens on the net. It looks to me, that it is better corrected for CAs than it's younger cousin. But I'm not sure it is convertible to Pentax mount (Leitax doesn't provide any info).
Pentax D-FA 2.8/100

So the next lens will be definitely APO. Don't get me wrong, all above mentioned lenses, are definitely great and the examples I selected are worst case scenarios.

APO-Summicron 2/90 shows flawless performance, but is disqualified by it's price - hey, it's still only a hobby!
Same for APO Lanthar 2.5/125 Sad

This finally leaves me two options (and I'm at the beginning again):
APO-Macro-Elmarit 2.8/100 and APO Lanthar 3.5/90

I saw lots of photos from the second, but not so much from Leica. I would appreciate some portraiture comparison of the two lenses. I like Leica, but the price of Lanthar is just too tempting.

By the way I decided to give a chance to my Pentacon 2.8/100 (see here).
It's not in the same league as Planars, but i think that for it's price is hard to beat.

In the end I will stay with my Pentacon 100/Tamron 90 Macro combo, until I sell some of my other lenses and spare money for one of the two APOs.
Maybe I'll find one under the Christmas tree Cool
(if anyone want to sell original APO Lanthar 90 SL in P/K mount for 350€ the trouble is resolved Twisted Evil)

Last edited by BRunner on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently converted a Leica APO-100, and here is a quick snap of my oldest son (on a Nikon D700). It is not completely focused correctly, though, and this hurts the sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have macro covered the Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 is a lovely lens. Deliberately a little soft wide open (it was designed for portraits) but sharpens up quickly when you stop down. I use it with extension tubes for macro work. Small, light, cheap and lovely Very Happy

K.