Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is a good lens to use for a sporting event under lights
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: What is a good lens to use for a sporting event under lights Reply with quote

I am able to go to a Super 15 Rugby match this weekend,But I have no idea what sort of lens to use...I do not have any AF only manual lenses.
Any help would be greatly appreciated... Very Happy
I have plenty of 200mm, 300mm,I also have the Tamron mirror but I think the night aspect rules that out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What is a good lens to use for a sporting event under li Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I am able to go to a Super 15 Rugby match this weekend,But I have no idea what sort of lens to use...I do not have any AF only manual lenses.
I have plenty of 200mm, 300mm,I also have the Tamron mirror but I think the night aspect rules that out.

I was going to say, probably the fastest, longest lens you have. Use a monopod, or even a tripod and aim to get the fastest shutter speed you can (unless you want artistic blurring Smile)

In my experience, focus on mirror lens is very critical, so something you can stop down to give a slightly better DOF will help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will use it this weekend. it means You don't have much time if we suggest you the best. If you care about noise reduce, try any leica lens.
Fast tele I know Porst/Mitake 135/1,8 good and sharp
CZ jena 200/2,8 sharp but green CA appear in some situation
But i agree wit martin. use your fastest & longest lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
You will use it this weekend. it means You don't have much time if we suggest you the best. If you care about noise reduce, try any leica lens.
Fast tele I know Porst/Mitake 135/1,8 good and sharp
CZ jena 200/2,8 sharp but green CA appear in some situation
But i agree wit martin. use your fastest & longest lens Very Happy

Laughing No leica,porst,CZJ 200mm lenses... Sad
I will have to check on what fast lenses I have...if any. Rolling Eyes Thanks for the tips...I guess I can use this as a time to experiment and learn. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good lens to use for a sporting event under li Reply with quote

mo wrote:

Probably a stupid question, but is there a floodlit practice session anywhere so that you can practice settings etc?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar, the rendering on number 2 is brilliant...very Zeiss!

As for Mo...shooting sport at night is very tricky! You will defainately need to whack the ISO up, but of course this all depends on how well lit the arena is. Take a monopod and a 135/2.8 should be usable on crop (I used a Pentacon 135/2.8 recently for banger racing).

For indoor sports, I've found the Samyang 85/1.4 to be very capable, albeit with shallow depth of field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good lens to use for a sporting event under li Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
mo wrote:

Probably a stupid question, but is there a floodlit practice session anywhere so that you can practice settings etc?

No not at all unfortunately.. Sad
@ ManualFocus-G
I have used the 135/2.8 Tamron during the day for rugby,it does work quite well.I guess I can always try it and see how it handles floodlights...it does have a built in hood.

Omar they are very good...one day I may have a lens like that Very Happy
Another problem that be happen is the weather may be against me...lots of rain... Mad I can hope for the best and I will post up anything I take on the night.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My banger results were all at around ISO 6400-12800, such was the poor light, but I didn't get any weird flare issues or anything Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/banger-racing-t35329.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
My banger results were all at around ISO 6400-12800, such was the poor light, but I didn't get any weird flare issues or anything Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/banger-racing-t35329.html

I think my K200D only goes as high as 1600iso, it should be an interesting learning curve on the night. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not shot any sports events personally but used to do a lot of gig photos. I'd go for a fast 200mm and the biggest flashgun you can lay your hands on. As others said, shoot wide open and use the flash to freeze the action.

Look at the kit sports pro photogs use at football games - long primes with big flashguns.

The CZJ Sonnar 180 was designed for the 36 Olympics in Munich and was extremely good at capturing Jesse Owens stomping all over the ludicrous notion of Aryan superiority. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the famous shots of Owens during the long jump were shot with Sonnar. So yeah, the 'Olympic' Sonnar 180 is perfect for sports photography however, it weighs an absolute ton - the tipod mount collar is a heft solid cast metal toe-crushing beast in it's own right. The later Sonanr 180 is similar but different, still weighs a ton, I only shot with one once and it was a fantastic lens, would love to own one one day.

If you want to hand hold, I really wouldn't go longer than 200, any more than that and as others pointed out, you need a monopod.

If you can get close to the action you might be better off with a 2.8/135.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the option is available for you, Mo, you might want to think about renting a lens. Finding a fast lens for a Pentax might be a problem, though. Now, finding a fast lens for a Canon or Nikon shouldn't be a problem for a rental.

Know anybody with a Canon or Nikon whose camera you could borrow? Then you could probably rent a 300mm f/2.8 and, as they say back in the old country, Bob's your uncle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a thought! I have a friend who has the Canon 550D and the mid range kit lens....I wonder would they let me borrow it and I wonder would I know how to use it... Laughing Point and shoot isn't it when set to AF... Very Happy No hope of renting lenses down here.. Sad Although I have not really looked into it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Now there's a thought! I have a friend who has the Canon 550D and the mid range kit lens....I wonder would they let me borrow it and I wonder would I know how to use it... Laughing Point and shoot isn't it when set to AF... Very Happy No hope of renting lenses down here.. Sad Although I have not really looked into it.

Not used a 550D but the EOS bodies are all pretty similar in their general layout and operation from what I've seen of them. If you've used the film EOS then the digital ones are pretty straightforward to figure out.

I bet they would lend ya it if you lent them a nice lens in return.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Graham has a 300mm Canon L lens. I can mug him if you like? Laughing

Focus on moving targets I find tricky. I would probably go with whatever AF glass you have. If you are close enough to the pitch a decent flash gun will help. Shoot with a big enough aperture and high ISO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EOS 550D goes up to ISO 12800, but when you look at the output, it REALLY takes a noticeable hit at 3200 and higher. At ISO 1600, the K200D and 550D look pretty similar to me (based on DPReview tests), so you might not gain much by switching bodies...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info scheimp! At the moment I am more worried there will be no photos due to the weather Sad