Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Banger racing!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Banger racing! Reply with quote

This was, without a doubt, the most challenging photo session I have ever attempted! I was hoping to use my new 500D, but it died before we even left Sad

Not knowing what the conditions were going to be like, I took a selection of long lenses (Canon 300/4L, Soligor 300/5.5, Soligor 200/3.5 and Pentacon preset 135mm) and my 1000D and Sony a450. As it was, it was pitch black before racing started and the fencing around the circuit meant I needed to get close with a lens of about 50mm. Which I didn't have! And I couldn't pan very far because of the multiple posts around the fencing...doh!

Anyway, armed with my Sony a450, Pentacon bokeh monster and a monopod, I metered the circuit at 1/80 with my shortest lens (Pentacon 135/2.8 wide open) at ISO 6400 Shocked This was going to be tough Laughing

Here's a selection (please excuse the noise, even after processing Laughing This is more a demonstration of persistance rather than optical quality of the lens haha)

_DSC2057 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2133 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2224 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2273 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2330 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2389 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2720 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2731 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC3143 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2565 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC2426 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC3175 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

_DSC3199 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Edit: I found a decent one!

Car 966 by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that bad for such conditions, well handled Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good results, especially like the leaking tubing detail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, it was a good laugh!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the title of you post I thought you were racing sausages!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda caught the drift from the title. Here in the US, our closest equivalent is probably our "Destruction Derbies". Banger racing, I suspect, is more fun to watch though.

Actually, I thought your photos looked quite good. My DSLR's ISO maxes out at 1600 and at that point it looks like my photos have been taken in hairy snow. Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the grain adds to the atmosphere of the night....how did you manage to carry all that gear?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all bad considering.

What's wrong with the 5D and why did the 500D die?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car in #12 reminds me of Nikon symbol Embarassed Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now racing sausages would be FUN!

I have a LowePro Mini Trekker backpack which I can fit the whole world and his wife in! Looks like this inside (this is a stock image, I don't own this kit!).

I can actually fit my 5D in with my 450mm Soligor lens still attached!

The 500D lasted a day, then I went to switch on in the morning and there was no life. It kicked in again last night but was dead again this morning Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool bag. I've got a few backpacks laying around here, at least one of which I'm thinking about converting into something like that.

Sorry to read about your 500D. Is it still under warranty? My XS (1000D) had a similar problem, but fortunately it occurred while still under warranty. I ended up having to send that camera back for warranty repair 3 times! The last of which was only a couple of weeks before the warranty expired. Fortunately, it's lasted a year since then with no other problems (knocking cautiously on wood as I type this).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow that bag is for the "I may need it" in the future list! Sorry to hear about the 500D,hope it is something simple. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Shocked Wow that bag is for the "I may need it" in the future list! Sorry to hear about the 500D,hope it is something simple. Sad

Thankfully the seller has kindly offered to take the 500D back. I'm stuck between buying another 500D, a 550D or 60D. I'm leaning towards the 60D at the moment...eep!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news a second chance Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
mo wrote:

Thankfully the seller has kindly offered to take the 500D back. I'm stuck between buying another 500D, a 550D or 60D. I'm leaning towards the 60D at the moment...eep!

Why not just get the 5D mkii?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
mo wrote:

Why not just get the 5D mkii?

I'd like the extra reach and resolution for wildlife / sports Smile I'm perfectly happy with the 5D as my main cam, and have just bought a new 60D for an outreagously low price (after Quidco, ebay vouchers, plus points etc.) Shocked

I have to say though, the 500D was far better than I thought it would be, IQ wise, just a shame it was faulty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great topic and really stunning photographs among those.
I like #1 and last especially.

Cheers
Tobias