Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it wrong for me to be jealous and upset...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Is it wrong for me to be jealous and upset... Reply with quote

...about the fact that all these sellers on eBay (Kevincameras, photoarsenal, etc) have this amazing, interesting, and above all RARE glass just sitting in their inventory closets listed at ridiculously high rates. The prices are so exorbitant, those of us who would love to enjoy these lenses, let alone just see what the heck a photo with one even looks like, would have to save our whole lives just to afford (one lens in some cases). And it's not like the gear is flying off the shelves! It's quite clear no one will pay those prices so why not send them to auction and see what people will pay, so someone will get the chance to...oh I don't know...maybe do what the lens was made for...USE IT!? Though the cynic in me says in reality, some other businessperson will buy it as an investment and attempt to flip it at a higher rate (and the cycle continues).

I was searching eBay with highest prices first, finding some super intriguing glass I never knew existed! I found a Nikon 2000mm f/11, some of the old Topcon stuff looks really cool, I mean there are just worlds of cool camera lenses out there. Not that this is news to any of you.

I truly bothers me that no one gets to use these lenses. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way or has something to say on the matter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, in some ways I'm 100 percent in agreement with you. It certainly is frustrating to see wildly overpriced gear in dealers' inventories, but that's market forces at work. These guys have no pressing need to turn their stock back into cash, so they can mark it up at whatever they think someone might eventually pay for it. Or, maybe, they want to tempt people to trade other rarities against it. If you overprice by a factor of 2, then you can inflate your trade in price similarly and make it look as though you're offering a good deal. Which, of course, isn't the case.

But my pet gripe is about the collectors who sit on multiple examples of things, just to have them. The "I-must-have-all-the-variations-no matter-how-trivial-and-pointless" syndrome really gets under my skin. Sorry if that upsets anyone here, but it's what I think. Calming down, I guess those guys and gals are what keep Kevin and Boris in business. The Mad Collectors need Kev and Bo as much the dealers need the MCs, a sort of symbiotic relationship.

Time to shut up now before I upset anyone else - !!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you and I definitely feel the same. Too bad as these sellers seem to scour the camera shows in Europe, buying all interesting glass available. However, this makes it all the more fun to try to find the lenses yourself for much less. But this is easier in Europe I think, being closer to Germany.

On a side note: when walking around on camera shows I always wear a DSLR with a rare lens on it. In 99% of the cases I'm being asked if I want to sell the lens and if yes, for how much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
But my pet gripe is about the collectors who sit on multiple examples of things, just to have them. The "I-must-have-all-the-variations-no matter-how-trivial-and-pointless" syndrome really gets under my skin. ........

Tell this the tenthousands collectors of stamps or coins ...... ? Where is the difference ?

And it is like Peter pointed out, the fun is to look around to get the lens for less money.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of another Mflenses discussion with exactly the same topic, it turned into quite a heated discussion here...

Some feel that the buyers who empty the market and artificially raise prices are low-life worthy of slow death, others see this as a normal supply/demand balance issue which belongs to a free market economy.

I don't think these sellers ruin anything, while some sold APO-Lanthars for 2000 EUR I still got mine for 1050 EUR. It just took me 6 months longer to find one at a reasonable price. I don't care if someone's sitting on all copies of some rare lens, try yourself if you think buying and selling lenses is easily profitable... It's like any coveted or rare item, 90% of the attractiveness is because it is so hard to find. If it was available in abundance it wouldn't be attractive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rolf, and Hi Esox lucius !

Rolf - I think I can understand the stamp collectors, but my moans at the photo-gear hoarders (whoops!) centre on my understanding of lenses as being tools that do a job. I could understand someone collecting - say - the evolving family of Summicrons to reflect changes in the optical design, and hence the way they work. But to have a number of examples of one particular Summicron because the milling on the aperture ring had changed (or whatever) leaves me puzzled. Still we can all spend our money on what we want, so it's just a moan and not an indictment of anyone's sanity.

Esox - no, I don't want to give Kev or Bo or anyone else a slow death because they've got multiples of a relatively rare item on their shelves. Nor do I think buying and selling is easily profitable - in fact, I know from my "previous life" how hard that can be. But once again (and maybe I'm a little strange in thinking this) the attraction of a 75mm Biotar or a 90mm Thambar - for me at least - is in the uniqueness of what the lens is or can do, rather than its scarcity.

Market forces are unavoidable, and human nature infinitely variable. So, in the end it's Good Luck to Kev and Bo and all the lucky folks who have nice collections of whatever lights their fire Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they deserve death, slow or long. But death would mean lots of gear on sale Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it wrong for me to be jealous and upset... Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
...about the fact that all these sellers on eBay (Kevincameras, photoarsenal, etc) have this amazing, interesting, and above all RARE glass just sitting in their inventory closets listed at ridiculously high rates.

Perhaps you should check their feedback? Wink

gokevincameras has had 441 sales in the last 6 months, and 1,017 sales in the last year. In the past 6 months, 25+ of those sales have been US $1,000+, and a few $2,000+ or even $3,000+.

photo-arsenal-worldwide has similar numbers - 297 sales in the last 6 months, and 566 in the last year. In the last month, they have had 11 sales that were over US $2,000, the highest being $11,000, the second highest was $7,500. Again, this was just sales in the past month. Back in January, they sold three items over $10,000, and one lens sold in February for $15,000. Shocked

justtorchit wrote:
And it's not like the gear is flying off the shelves! It's quite clear no one will pay those prices so why not send them to auction and see what people will pay, so someone will get the chance to...oh I don't know...maybe do what the lens was made for...USE IT!?

If we assume that they maintain stable inventories, then based on their current listings (5,012 and 2,212 items), we can roughly say that gokevincameras sells a bit over 1/5 of their inventory each year, and photo-arsenal-worldwide sells a bit over 1/4. I don't know how we would define "flying off the shelves", but it seems pretty clear to me that both sellers are selling their gear, and that people are willing to pay the high prices for the right items. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen makes a discerning point, that lenses in the main are objects with a function, which gives a different perspective from that of objects such as used postage stamps, traded principally as collectibles. This, by the same reasoning, is why I find the moralistic tone of those who declare it an offence against humanity to put a high price on a cheap lens, absurd. We are not short, on this planet, of lenses of every conceivable type and quality and price. (Admittedly, examples of the Zeiss 1700mm Apo-Sonnar are thin on the ground.) If these dealers put a price of $200 on a 50mm CZJ Tessar whose market value is nearer $10, there are plenty of other 50mm lenses that will do the job, many of them a great deal better. And if the lens happens to be a rare one, that rarity alone will put a premium on the price anyway. The idea that the photographic world is deprived in some way because a particular lens lies on a shelf unused doesn't bear much scrutiny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a chill. People enjoy their hobbies in different ways, and are entitled to do so. And the market will always determine prices in the long run, so either wait it out or in the case where it's going up, buy it now. Be very careful of the "other people should think like me" attitude; it can only create problems. Except, of course, my attitude of others should think like me by allowing others to think as they like Smile

My other hobby is classic cars, although I can no longer afford to dabble in them. I have seen people owning cars just to own them, others as investments. I choose to drive them and couldn't bare to have one sitting in a garage that I won't drive for fear of something happening to it. I'll drive mine to a show while others trailer theirs. I have a close friend that rarely drives his and I have come to realize his enjoyment comes from owning it - I don't think he actually enjoys driving it. To me it's silly, but to him it makes sense. We both enjoy our cars like we choose to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it wrong for me to be jealous and upset... Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
one lens sold in February for $15,000.

Someone must have wanted that Domiplan real bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really bother me if others cannot understand why I collect lenses. It is my decision and mine alone. I am not a wealthy person so most CZ's and Apo whatevers are beyond my price range to start with. I save my money..I get a dollar a day to go to work on...and save those dollars to buy my lens. I hunt and search for days and weeks to find the rare and unusual and then after finding and buying a lens I use it and post the results here. Not always good results but I'm not a pro photographer either. This is my hobby not my avocation. I try to explain why I like or dislike a lens and also let prospective buyers of that particular type of lens see it and see how well it works. My lens are used on a rotating basis and never just sit on a shelf. My hobby is not bothering anyone and the lens purchases I make come from my hard earned money. A lot of sweat, blood and skinned knuckles go into my buys. Most of us collectors want the experience of the unusual or the lens we've read so many glowing reviews of. There is none of that I've got one and you don't attitude in my camp...rather I have one and here is how I feel about it. A discussion of it's virtues and shortcomings cannot happen if you do not have one or have had one in the past. The discussion pushes my knowledge forward and helps me understand more of my hobby and passion.

But the "I don't understand why they do that" never bothers me...for if you did understand you would be already doing it. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the ongoing discussion about morality and the market.
IMHO there should be restrictions to the free market that start where morality ends. If a certain group of people (may it be less intelligent or older ones or collectors) are taken advantage of, it starts to be annoying.
I could go on for ages about that, but I won't. Because it only would put me in a bad mood and I do not want that now. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
should be restrictions to the free market

Oh my.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Quote:

Oh my.

You should quote to the end...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it was available in abundance it wouldn't be attractive.

Esox - scsambrook hit the nail on the head in my opinion here. It isn't the scarcity that makes me want the lens. It's a very specialized tool. I want to see what this specialized tool is capable of (which apparently many other tools are not since this one was "specially" designed)!

Scheimpflug - I realize they have a lot of gear with turnover, but if you look at what is being sold, it doesn't look like it's a lot of the rarer glass. And to reiterate, it's not that I dislike these guys. I get it, it's their business. I am just saying this whole idea that "this is Rare so the price should be 'x'" where "x" represents a number one person in 50 years would be willing to pay is sad to me because again as scsambrook said, these are tools. Meant to be used.

Quote:
The idea that the photographic world is deprived in some way because a particular lens lies on a shelf unused doesn't bear much scrutiny.

alex - I would counter that it does. This is of course completely theoretical and a "what if" type situation. So I really cannot prove it. The photo world is so vast, it's not like I am sitting here thinking, "Photography would be great but still feels empty. If only we had some images from that one lens. Then it would be complete". But what are we doing here on a daily basis? We are talking about the personalities of our favorite lenses! Why do we love them? Certainly not because they're rare or because they look a certain way (well not always!) or whatever. We love them because they interpret scenes in a way that means something to us. They perform a job. Now these unattainable ultra-rare lenses were (in some cases) hand-crafted for a specific (as Esox stated in another post and I thought was a wonderful analogy) fingerprint. It is these unique personalities that I just wish were in the hands of a photographer and not collecting dust on a salespersons closet.

And my ONLY gripe about this is that it could all be changed if the seller truly let the market determine the price (the eBay philosophy really). Put the lens on eBay and let people pay what they think it is worth. Simple as that.

woodrim - Your idea of tolerance essentially is rather non-confrontational. And that's may be fine for you but the issue here, to me is one that is unapproachable without confrontation. Beautiful glass is going to waste because of market philosophy - money. I am looking at this as a purist. Beautiful lenses were designed, someone should be using them. If not at least to discover they aren't what they're cracked up to be, then sell them to someone else who is curious! And to address your comment:

Quote:
Be very careful of the "other people should think like me" attitude; it can only create problems.

To this I would say, this is one of the big purposes of a forum. Share ideas. I have no intention of "converting" others to believe this because it gives me satisfaction. I am simply stating my personal feelings and reasoning/defending why I feel this way.

Quote:
A discussion of it's virtues and shortcomings cannot happen if you do not have one or have had one in the past. The discussion pushes my knowledge forward and helps me understand more of my hobby and passion.

Big Dawg - No one has one. That's the problem. And the one or two that exist cannot be talked about since no one has the opportunity to use it.

Hopefully this isn't coming off as a fight because it's not my intention. I think many internet communities often mistake true discussion where everyone doesn't agree with one another as fighting and bad karma or whatever. But I feel it's great to talk about this stuff. As I said, I am in no way "heated" about the discussion or people not agreeing with me. I was just saying this is how I feel. My drive and motive for this whole issue is curiosity. I want to see results. I wish someone could use that tool and share with us what it can do. Even if the market determined the price of those lenses, I probably still couldn't afford them. But hopefully the person who could would publish their results so we could all share in the beauty of that lens. I don't own a 125mm Lanthar, and believe me I would LOVE to. But I love seeing the beautiful images posted here on the forum. I am glad people do own them and are really using those things! (beautiful images in that 125mm post by the way!)

So...yeah....haha!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say love the lenses you've got and do with what you can afford. As much as I kid around about wanting to own every great Takumar out there I know my budget will never lend itself to going anywhere near the collection of lenses I'd like to have. Sure there are lenses out there I still want and there are a couple of Takumars that are still on my "to buy" list someday, but that doesn't mean that I am sitting here bemoaning all the lenses my wallet cannot afford. On the contrary, I'm too busy using the gear I've got to care.

Supply and demand will always drive a market to places some people can't go. That's a fact of life. It's why I'll probably never own top of the line lenses or a $5K camera. But I'm not going to let that stop me from being the best d- photographer I can be with what I can afford.

Nice equipment surely helps, but ultimately it is the person behind the lens that matters in the end not what it is labeled.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think of it as a fight. I look at it as a couple of friends that are having a friendly discussion,. We may not agree...but friends can agree to disagree and still be friends. I do see your point on that last post and must agree that there are lens out there that I cannot get. I would love to have a FA* 600mm or an FA* 250-600mm Pentax lens but the $4,000-$6000+ price tag will always prevent me from getting them. Too many better things to do with the small amount of money I have and Well....I'm having too much fun to notice their absence from my lens collection.

Last edited by Big Dawg on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:

Nice equipment surely helps, but ultimately it is the person behind the lens that matters in the end not what it is labeled.

+! here my friend. I have always believed that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Quote:

Oh my.

You should quote to the end...

"IMHO there should be restrictions to the free market that start where morality ends. If a certain group of people (may it be less intelligent or older ones or collectors) are taken advantage of, it starts to be annoying."

Oh my.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:

alex - I would counter that it does. This is of course completely theoretical and a "what if" type situation.

Sure, as Big Dawg says, we're just a bunch of fellow-photoenthusiasts pushing a few ideas and contrary opinions around to see how they hold up.

Quote:
But what are we doing here on a daily basis? We are talking about the personalities of our favorite lenses!

Yes, I do that as much as anyone. Although I try to restrain it, I can find myself being as evangelical about my favourite lenses in the Zeiss and Yashica ranges as others can about inferior marques like Canon or Nikon (I don't know how many I've insulted so far, but I'm going for the Grand Slam). I say that because I still remember my Road to Damascus moment, when I saw what came out of my then new RTS with Zeiss Planar.

All the same, there's a question I ask myself now and again, especially when I've seen a good picture with no notes of what was used to take it, and others respond with comments like 'Superb capture, what lens was used for it?'. So, given a sample of half a dozen photographs with no technical details associated, how many people could confidently identify the very lens used for each? I suspect the hit rate would not match the level of brand evangelism. There are so many other things that affect the perception of a photograph's properties, like film, subject matter, and so on.

Let's not forget, too, that the opprobrium heaped on these sellers stemmed largely from their pricing of pretty run of the mill lenses at outlandish prices.

Quote:
And my ONLY gripe about this is that it could all be changed if the seller truly let the market determine the price (the eBay philosophy really). Put the lens on eBay and let people pay what they think it is worth. Simple as that.

You're not "truly" letting the market decide here. The market is, by definition, buyer and seller, not buyer alone. From the mathematical logical perspective, the seller has the same significance as the buyer. The amount the buyer is prepared to pay is the indicator of how much he wants to have the lens. The amount the seller is prepared to accept equivalently indicates how much he too wants to have the lens. By definition, the market value of the lens is how much it will change ownership for, not how much the buyer is prepared to offer ; it is this demarcation between the imbalance in their perceptions that is the necessary condition. Market value is determined by barter, not unilateral buyer valuation. If the lens is worth more to the buyer than the money he has to offer, and the money on offer is worth more to the seller than he perceives the lens to be, the transaction will take place then and only then. If either condition fails, no transaction will take place. Saying that only the buyer's valuation determines the market value is like saying that the value of your house is that of a compulsory purchase order put on it by the City Council.

Quote:
Hopefully this isn't coming off as a fight because it's not my intention. I think many internet communities often mistake true discussion where everyone doesn't agree with one another as fighting and bad karma or whatever. But I feel it's great to talk about this stuff.

True for every sentence.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex is right.

All the stuff that Kevin and co. have is perfectly substitutable in practice. I don't see that a genuine artistic purpose is impeded because these guys set high prices for uncommon lenses.

Those guys are charging collectors prices for collectors. You can see similar price ranges on the auctioneers sites, for rare cameras, albeit they mostly don't deal in rare lenses all that often. Often both Kevin and the auctioneers get absurd prices for quite common stuff, just because the buyer did no research.

But just like a 6x9 camera won't give a different image just because it is made of polished brass and teakwood vs rusty sheetmetal, there is no real reason to insist on a pre-war chrome brass Biotar 75 when a Samyang 85 will do as well or better.

So goes the old saying, that while critics discuss painting, artists discuss paint. Beyond a certain point though paint is paint.

As for collectors; all old objects, that were not made as pure art, did start off with a more or less practical function, but have since aquired a value as pure art. Old cars that should not be driven on modern highways were meant to be driven on old roads, priceless old porcelain that would be imprudent to even handle, was meant to be used on the table, at least on certain occasions, etc. Maybe its better that the Busch Nicola Perscheid portrait lens stays in the cabinet at least most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys make some excellent points here. Alex, I especially like your correction in discussing market value. Thanks for all the input, just curious where people stand on this!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't bother me, because I filter such sellers out of my searches. Whenever I see someone asking for unreasonable prices for a lens, they go to my ignore list. Life doesn't have to be complicated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see an issue here. Overpriced items used to be decorate certain camera stores, which sold used equipment at ridiculous prices. Now they've just moved on to eBay, where they can reach a larger amount of idiots. I'm just curious as how it is possible, that someone who is "tech-savvy" enough to register on eBay but dumb enough not to Google what he is buying.

Think of money and intelligence as two pillars. Regardless of which pillar is higher, it is only a question of time before the pillars will be of the same height.