Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it wrong for me to be jealous and upset...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too-often become obsessed with hardware... that I cannot afford. Modular system hardware is the worst, because of the options for swapping and upgrading. I built my first desktop computer in 1980 (I soldered together a HeathKit H8 system) and spent much time until 1997 buying or building and swapping cheap boards and components in and out of H8, S100 and PC chassis. And yes, in those pre-eBay days the swapped-out boards went to the local nerds' marketplace.

My first laptop freed me -- I could actually spend time programming and using warez, not just rewriting the BIOS for each new card. A P&S is like a laptop. Use it as it is, with maybe the merest strap-ons. An SLR system, especially one with modular backs-prisms-finders-etc, is like a desktop computer. Or maybe it's worse, because there's no computer parallel to acquiring dozens or hundreds of lenses.

Yes, SLR cameras are worse than computers. Four laptops (from mini to maxi) are in front of me now, but I can count 20+ cameras visible around me, and over 150 lenses are in the room -- of which, I'll sell 30 soon. And more lenses are coming in, and more will be sold. At least, lenses don't become obsolete as fast as computer circuit boards.

So now I finance lens purchases with lens sales. Many of the incoming lenses are in batch lots. I bid on assortments that contain something I want, and maybe a lot of what I don't want. Very little of this is rare or 'collectible'. I'm not in business to buy low and sell high, to make a living. I just want my obsession to be self-supporting. I have no need to set high starting prices. ALL my auctions start under US$1, and everything sells. I've done well so far, making about 40% profit on my turnover, which lets me buy more fine and (usually) cheap lenses for my own pleasure. But it's not nearly enough for food, fuel, utilities, taxes, insurance, etc.

Were this my living, I'd operate appropriately. Reserve prices, handling charges, sales tax, Auctiva -- and I'd look for high-margin items. In fact, I'd likely need to move to a city, and scour yard sales and thrift shops persistently for more merchandise. ARRGH, A FULL-TIME JOB!! I'M TOO OLD FOR THAT!!

Those high starting prices we love to bitch about are NOT immoral. They are a necessity for any merchant trying to feed themselves and a family and employees maybe. Anyone doing business has to operate within a comfort (or survival) zone. I'm comfortable buying a lens for US$10 and selling it for $15 or $20. Were this my living, I'd need to buy for $10 and sell for $50-100, because my total expenses would be significant.

Bargains can be and are found. But you'll not likely get a 'steal' from a merchant. If you shoot professionally, you buy what gear you NEED. If you shoot for fun, you buy what gear you can AFFORD comfortably. If you deal gear for a living, you buy and sell within your comfort-survival zone. And if you can honestly get someone to pay $250 for a $10 lens, great! Maybe I should list a Brownie at US$10k. Hey, if I can get a sucker to bite, I can finally afford some DA* glass!

Last edited by RioRico on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Or maybe it's worse, because there's no computer parallel to acquiring dozens or hundreds of lenses.

Oh I don't know about that. Seems to me some of those people out there with huge hard drives full of bootleg music, videos, and computer programs they'll mostly never listen to, view, or use are basically doing the same thing as people with LBA only they're not breaking their wallets doing it.

Addictions don't always have to cost major money.

Actually my photography gear hasn't been all that much in terms of expense when you consider what I have versus what it actually cost. Something like 40% of my gear was free. Of the remaining 60% most of that is from Goodwill, CL and the like. About the only things in my whole gear kit I did pay full price for were my Fuji, it's 2 lens aux kit, my tripod, 3 filters, and a camera bag.

I currently have 7 film SLR's, 1 digital P&S, an older DSLR maybe a 13 lenses between them, a couple dozen filters, a set of macro rings and a set of macro filters, a couple of bags, and a few other things I just can't remember just now.

There are still a few things I need, my M42 adapter, a decent table top lighting kit, a digital Pentax wide angle, some lights and some back drops, but considering my budget for lessons and future studio has pretty much been nill here I'm doing pretty darned well.

One thing I've learned? All good things come to those who wait. It may take a while but I know the things I still need can be had cheaply, for free, or maybe that I will be able to work on the side in swap for them as I have to get some of my other gear.

As a photographer I just can't afford to be all about "now" in terms of heavily investing in gear. The latest, greatest thing is usually far beyond my budget. I usually have to wait for the right thing at the right time. I take my pics that way too a lot now. More carefully, with thought, not taking things for granted. Gathering all my gear? It's been a real learning experience so far. It has definitely taught me some real patience skills that's for sure.