Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1000mm m42 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: 1000mm m42 lenses Reply with quote

After doing a search, I found some results on the boards for the 1000mm MTO mirror lens, and the wonderful CZJ 1000mm mirror, but not much else.

I'm looking for a bit more reach than 500mm in some cases, and am not quite satisfied with using a 2x converter on my 500mm lens. What kind of results could I expect from the MTO when properly focused with no camera shake? I've seen mixed results online...

Are there any other options that I should also be looking at in the same budget range?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Soligor 800/8 telephoto on ebay for £240.00 at the moment Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the 1000MTO sells for 288EUR:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2411_MTO-1000-Maksutov-Tele-1000mm-Brennweite-f-10----Russentonne-.html

Which seems like a fairly good deal for the extra 200mm...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sigma used to make one. I have one in Canon FD mount, but the lens is in the US at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
It looks like the 1000MTO sells for 288EUR:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2411_MTO-1000-Maksutov-Tele-1000mm-Brennweite-f-10----Russentonne-.html

Which seems like a fairly good deal for the extra 200mm...

http://molotok.ru/item967509469_mto1000_a.html
New ≈171,35$. While there is no betting.

http://molotok.ru/item972283037_obektiv_ms_mto_11sa_10_1000.html
This is not new and already have a bet.

http://molotok.ru/item986107726_mto_1000a_10_5_1100_m42.html
Blitz-price 188 dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mirror lens that long you can expect sharp focus but very narrow dof, no aperture adjustment, typically long minimum focus distance, and doughnut-shaped bokeh highlights.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the aperture/focal length still correspond to the same DOF as on a 'normal' lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well unfortunately it appears that the MTO 1000mm lens interferes with the flash housing on certain DSLRs (my 40D is one of them), so I'll have to find an alternate solution. Guess my 500mm + 2x converter will have to suffice for now unless somebody can suggest anything else?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a Takumar 1000/8, but very rare and expensive

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
Wow, well unfortunately it appears that the MTO 1000mm lens interferes with the flash housing on certain DSLRs (my 40D is one of them), so I'll have to find an alternate solution. Guess my 500mm + 2x converter will have to suffice for now unless somebody can suggest anything else?

Some of, if not all, of the MTOs (and Rubinars) can still be mounted with an extension ring and the infinity stop adjusted to compensate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
With mirror lens that long you can expect sharp focus but very narrow dof, no aperture adjustment, typically long minimum focus distance, and doughnut-shaped bokeh highlights.

Sorry, if my reply sounds negative, but your comments seem negative and you don't suggest an alternative.

Quote:
With mirror lens that long you can expect sharp focus but very narrow dof

Surely this is the same for most lenses of this focal length.

Quote:
no aperture adjustment

At this focal length, I don't think this matters too much. Light is at a premium and to use smaller apertures will result in diffraction problems. If you are talking larger apertures then price and bulk become silly for majority of people.

Quote:
typically long minimum focus distance

Yes, but I don't think you would normally choose a lens like this for macro/close focus anyway.

Quote:
doughnut-shaped bokeh highlights

Not necessarily a problem, can be just as nice as *agon, star, round, egg shape lighlights Laughing

Quote:
Does the aperture/focal length still correspond to the same DOF as on a 'normal' lens?

I believe so.

Quote:
After doing a search, I found some results on the boards for the 1000mm MTO mirror lens, and the wonderful CZJ 1000mm mirror, but not much else.

I'm looking for a bit more reach than 500mm in some cases, and am not quite satisfied with using a 2x converter on my 500mm lens. What kind of results could I expect from the MTO when properly focused with no camera shake? I've seen mixed results online...

Are there any other options that I should also be looking at in the same budget range?

No experience with 1000mm lenses (non-converted), but options are few and if you have use for such a lens try it and see, resell if not happy. I have the 3M 5A (ZM 5A) 500mm which I like, but I'm quite impressed with the results I get from using my recently acquired Tamron SP 60-300 with SP X2 converter (less than £30 total cost). So may be a long normal lens + converter may be worth consideration.

Regards

Fergus

Last edited by fergus on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fergus those are features not problems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1000mm m42 lenses Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:

They are 4x other 800/1000 mirror lenses
1- Vivitar S1 800 solidcat (quality low)
Vivitar also planned a S1 / 1200mm solid cat but i do not think it was ever produced
2- Soligor/Starblitz/Cambron 500-8/800-12 zoom : quality unknown but presumed as poor
3- Sigma 13.5/1000mm (quality medium)
4- Makinon 11/1000mm (quality high)

for info the sigma has a TRUE t: opening of t:16 and the makinon a true t: opening of t:13
still for info : most 8/500mm have a true t: opening of t:9.5 / t:10 .. very close from the 1000mm t: opening

You can also buy the new samyang/vivitar/bowens.... 800mm mirror lens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I think for now, I'm going to have to settle for using the Pentacon 500 with a 1.4x teleconverter. Eventually I might move up to an 800mm mirror, but it's still a bit out of my budget, I was hoping to find a 'real steal' thanks to this thread, but nothing has really popped up so far that would seem to work on the 40D.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution for these long focal lengths is use a telescope. Many telescopes easily adapt to cameras using T-mount adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rubinar MC 1000 Makpo f/10 for which I paid ~US$225 (including filters, hood, case, shipping) on the bay a couple years ago. By Makpo (macro) is meant that close focus is 1.5m, same as my Sakar 500/8 mirror, and closer than any other of my lenses longer than 135mm. (And even most of my 135's have further close focus.)

With a standard flanged M42-PK adapter I can (but don't) use this on my Pentax ZX-M film cam. The flash housing on my Pentax K20D does not allow a direct fit. However, I added 20mm of extension tubes and it fits just fine. This increases the effective focal length slightly, so I think of it as 1100/11, No adjustment is needed for infinity focus. Without the extension, it focuses *past* infinity. I don't know if other long mirrors are like that. I do know that my old Spiratone 400/5.6 tube focuses past infinity, and adjusts perfectly with a flanged adapter.

Build and image quality are excellent. Usage is clumsy, as is to be expected with a lens weighing almost 1.8 kg. Used on a shoulder-stock mount, it rather resembles a grenade launcher, so son't approach (para)militaries with it. Handheld or supported, I typically use Catch-In-Focus aka trap-focus with subject centered. Don't shoot subjects with sparkly backgrounds and you won't get donut bokeh. Yes, DOF is thin. This is a lens for isolating a subject from the rest of the world.

A note on using a telescope instead: I have read that scopes are optimized for different optical conditions than are these long catadioprtics meant for camera mounting. I have a Meade 5" scope (US$75 complete at a local yard sale) which I haven't mounted a camera on yet, but it certainly requires its big tripod -- I wouldn't use it for duck-pond shoots, nope. I hate to think what its close focus would be. Anyone thinking of using an astro scope for general photography should do some research first, IMHO.

My manual long lenses:

Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4, 200/5.6 -- Optican and Suntar and Focal 135/2.8 -- Hanimar Preset 135/3.5; Hanimex 135/2.8 -- Enna Tele-Ennalyt 135/3.5, 240/4.5 -- Jupiter-11 135/4; Jupiter-21M 200/4 -- Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 -- Vivitar Tele 200/3.5 -- Tou 5-Star 200/4.5 -- (Tamron) Promaster 60-300/4-5.6 -- (Chinon) Alpa 300/5.6 -- Spiratone 400/5.6 -- Mirrors: Sakar 500/8M; Rubinar 1000/10M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Why bother with the MTO 1000mm f10... Reply with quote

Why bother with the MTO 1000mm f10...When you can have the MTO 1100mm f10.5 for less! Wink

Last edited by DSG on Mon May 17, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to take delivery of an MTO 1000mm, I'll be sure to post some photos just as soon as it's bright enough in Wales, there should be a solar flare at some point............

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: 1000 f5.6 Reply with quote

I am not sure you are aware of it but the Russian did build a 1000 mm(I think or maybe a 500) that was f5.6. I have seen them on eBay however they go for a lot. Well relative to the prices of some of the new junky reflex lenses on eBay. I have seen good photos from that lens. I don't have any idea what one would go for now. Once I bought my 800 f8 I didn't feel a further need for a longer lens. Part of that is handling and stabilizing a refractive lens of that length(26") not for keeping an image centered but eliminating vibration of mirror and shutter down the barrel. None of those should be a concern on a reflex lens.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading earlier about the camera on the Voyager 2 probe that nasa say is transmitting strange data at the moment, I saw a picture of the probe on wikipedia and thought I spotted a mirror lens, it turns out the "narrow angle camera" on this probe and others uses a 1500mm F/8.5 Mirror lens, sounds good!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know they were still getting any data from a Voyager probe. I think they have left the solar system so it is really far out there in space.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<ot>

Voyager 1 and 2 are still alive and well, they have just shut down some of the non essential devices over the years as the power supplies become less powerful. The cameras etc have been turned off but the craft still have several scientific devices active and transmit telemetry and health data back to NASA.

They say it will be 2025 before the spacecraft are too weak to continue working by which time they will be approaching 50 years old.

Voyager 1 is over 10 billion miles from earth travelling at 44,000 miles per hour relative to earth, it's all mind boggling!

</ot>

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
Voyager 1 and 2 are still alive and well, they have just shut down some of the non essential devices over the years as the power supplies become less powerful.

As fatdeeman mentioned, Voyager 2 may still be operating, but it isn't "well"... There was a glitch just a month ago, and at present, the data stream for the scientific data is scrambled. Until they can figure out how to decode the scrambled data, or figure out the fault and send new software that fixes it, there is essentially no usable scientific data coming back... Sad

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-151

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I was reading earlier about the camera on the Voyager 2 probe that nasa say is transmitting strange data at the moment

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d'oh! Embarassed

Pardon me, while I quote you to tell you what you already know. Very Happy