Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ROKKOR MC 58/1.2 Problems with the 5D mirror
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: ROKKOR MC 58/1.2 Problems with the 5D mirror Reply with quote

Finally I got a new Rokkor 58mm 1.2 in mint condition. The first had an element without coating, which makes it less sharpen. Yesterday I started using it and see that at infinity the mirror touches the lens. I'll file the nut of the last element.

Anyone have experience with this lens?
Thanks Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: ROKKOR MC 58/1.2 Problems with the 5D mirror Reply with quote

No experience... but did you say that you now have two copies of this lens, one which hits the mirror and the other which does not?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: ROKKOR MC 58/1.2 Problems with the 5D mirror Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
No experience... but did you say that you now have two copies of this lens, one which hits the mirror and the other which does not?

No, not using the first copy because it has an element without coating, now started to use it and I check this problem. But I have seen that several members have this lens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Wide open on 5D classic

crop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="F16SUNSHINE"]All Wide open on 5D classic
And in infinity, touches in the mirror?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mirror is shaved. Otherwise yes it does touch.
Easier to shave the mirror than all your lenses that will touch it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
All Wide open on 5D classic

crop

Hi.

Your dog is highly photogenic !! He knows when you are taken the pic, doesn't he?

And I have to say what wanderful is that bag !!! And the girl too.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
My mirror is shaved. Otherwise yes it does touch.
Easier to shave the mirror than all your lenses that will touch it Wink

Please, how did you shave in the mirror? 1 mm.?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Hi.
Your dog is highly photogenic !! He knows when you are taken the pic, doesn't he?
And I have to say what wanderful is that bag !!! And the girl too.
Rino.

No offense meant to the cute dog, but I would definitely and without hesitation, reverse the ranking Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: No problems on 5D Reply with quote

I have my MC Rokkor 58/1.2 converted to EF - and no problems with the mirror after filing the last tube around the last lens very narrow above the lens.

On my conversion site (this one in english)
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/minolta-rokkor-58-to-canon-eos-conversion.html
are at the bottom some images linked. No. 10 is ~ infinity, but I use the lens mostly in close distances, sometimes with extension tubes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No problems on 5D Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I have my MC Rokkor 58/1.2 converted to EF - and no problems with the mirror after filing the last tube around the last lens very narrow above the lens.

are at the bottom some images linked. No. 10 is ~ infinity, but I use the lens mostly in close distances, sometimes with extension tubes.

Interesting, I thought I'd make a cut at an angle to the last nut element. I think we should cut 0.7mm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No problems on 5D Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

The piece has downgraded the aluminum? I've shaved 0.8mm. Whereas the EOS mount has 0.3mm more than the Minolta. At the end left with less than 0.5mm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shaved / field down the aluminium ring which is inside the lens:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Abfeilen.jpg
I think that part manufactures and sell Jim Buchanan, so with that kit one don´t have to modify this ring.
This is to get infinity. I did not measure the thickness (or I did´t find my notes).

Furthermore i filed down the last ring with the nuts which holds the last lens (in camera direction). The nuts are no more visible on my ring now. The ring is only ~ 0.1 mm higher than the rim of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 was converted by Jim Buchanan and he will shave the metal ring surrounding the glass down a bit for 5D clearance for a nominal fee.

Honestly, if you have the balls, I would shave down the mirror because your just going to get another lens one of these days that hits too.

Jim Buchanan's self install kit will not fix the mirror problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that I do not have to shave the mirror of my 5D. As soon as I do that, I could no longer give instructions on my homepage which could help the mflens users with unshaved 5d mirrors.

But, on the other hand the gain to use a lens which can not be used with infinity setting would be a big argument to shave the mirror as soon as I have such a lens.
My Canon FD 20mm / 2.8 is at the moment not that lens which gives me enough "spirit" to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shaved the trim ring of the last glass.
And finally I have removed only 0.06 separator ring.
Later I will do tests to see if it hits the mirror, like the glass has been exposed will bring them to the damaged glass. If the problem continues, it will correct infinity to quit.
I will not stop until it is usable, is a unique and wonderful lens.
Thanks to all