Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Registered shipping or not
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Registered shipping or not Reply with quote

I did start this topic to share your opinion about shipping.

If I buy something I always ask seller for registered, insured shipping my lost/delivered package ratio is close to zero.I did lost someone, but seller either not sent out in this cases or lost it because he didn't send it out registered as I requested.

As a seller I always send out all of my packages registered, insured from several hundreds I never lost any until this time. I always use if possible national postal services instead DHL, UPS etc. Postal services are cheaper and their services are great , trouble free one.

Insurance fee can costly, registration fee is cheap few dollars, no reason to risk package lost and order something without registration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Registered Post for everything, as - for the most part - it's traceable from when it leaves me to when it arrives and is signed-for by the buyer.

Two lenses (to the same buyer) went "missing", and even though the postal service was able to show me the buyer's signature, printed name, date and time, PayPal still gave him his money back! This was not the fault of the postal service, but it proves that not everything is as it may seem.

If somebody wants something really quickly, I'll use Express Post - guaranteed next-day delivery to 15 European countries and the United Kingdom.

An Post (our postal provider) also offers a Courier service which is ridiculously expensive, and one which I've never used.

The major pain in the butt with the Irish postal service's Registered Post option is that the maximum insurable value outside of Europe is only €35.00 - a somewhat risky proposition when sending valuable items to the US, Australasia and Asia.

On the receiving end, it sometimes amuses (and frequently infuriates) me what passes for acceptable packaging from sellers. I don't mind the rolled up newspaper (and will often use it myself), poly pellets, bubblewrap and other usual fillers, but when a lens comes from the Ukraine in a flimsy plastic envelope with absolutely no protection, and the seller has charged $25.00 for postage and packaging, that really pi**es me off. I recently received a package containing a boxed Spotmatic, which I assumed would be placed within a separate box for postage. But no, the seller wrapped the original Honeywell box in brown paper and packing tape and sent it that way - thankfully I didn't attack the package with a box cutter like I sometimes do!!!

Rant over... Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mainly a buyer. As such, I had several bad experience with french postal system, and it's getting worse and worse, especially on parcels. To be complete, the people at our post office don't care about it and just consider that's it's not their problem but the one of the service in charge of delivering parcels Rolling Eyes (mal1905 from this forum can testify for the latest bad experience - parcel returned to him mentioned as not delivered, address was OK but I had no notification, no nothing). I do think it's specific to my local post office, but that does not change the problem: one cannot choose which post office to depend from...

As a consequence, I do now my best to avoid normal post service. I even registered an Amazon Premium account to use alternative shippers - DHL, FedEx, etc. - for Amazon purchases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I precise: I received the item from mal on second try and did not ask PayPal for reimbursement Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
I recently received a package containing a boxed Spotmatic, which I assumed would be placed within a separate box for postage. But no, the seller wrapped the original Honeywell box in brown paper and packing tape and sent it that way - thankfully I didn't attack the package with a box cutter like I sometimes do!!!

Mother of idiots always pregnant...

Mostly I use very strong card board box designed for bottle packages .. one times I got feedback if I use weaker box shipping cost will be less Laughing

Why this guy wasn't happy with my war proof package ?! he would save 2-3 GBP on a lens cost ?! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other bugbear is the "why don't you send it by regular post?" question - it's because there's some level of security with Registered Post as opposed to zero with the standard offering...

One buyer left me positive feedback, yet complained about the fact I used newspaper in the package - the lens was as perfect as when it left me, but did he think of that? Not at all. Another commented that I need to be more careful with my packaging...like you, I use bomb-proof packaging Twisted Evil

Attila wrote:
Mother of idiots always pregnant...

Mostly I use very strong card board box designed for bottle packages .. one times I got feedback if I use weaker box shipping cost will be less Laughing

Why this guy wasn't happy with my war proof package ?! he would save 2-3 GBP on a lens cost ?! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent posted alot of stuff (yet) abroad, just maybe 30 packages or so. However I have already had one registered mail broken in US customs and one lost between UK and Finland. In 30 packages!!!

Now I insure all packages above 50euros. That really keeps it cool.

The weird thing is that I have sent items to Equador and Vietnam and even Italy (Razz) without any problems. US seems to be the biggest problem.

Juho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sent one to Angola and it made it! Laughing
I was nervous about that one. Shocked

As far as I've seen, the Romanian Postal Service does not ship parcels without a tracking code. Never lost a single parcel.

I wonder how companies like DHL stay in business. Priority shipping for Sweden is about $20 with the national postal service. DHL quoted me for about $200. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Florin Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm mainly buyer too.
I have make some successful purchases from MF and I was very happy till now.
Unfortunately,my last purchase form one of reputable old timer of this forums is really nightmare.
Meanwhile, I don't want to publicize his name because I still hope to get my stuff.
The situation is that the parcel has been sent but according tracking number, my stuff arrived (mistakenly Rolling Eyes ) to another country and received by another recipient.
Seller said, that it's a post office mistake and they should resolve it.
But, meanwhile (today passed almost three weeks) I didn't receive my order.
I'm curios, what should I do in my situation... Confused

Last edited by peterbald on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
I'm mainly a buyer. As such, I had several bad experience with french postal system, and it's getting worse and worse, especially on parcels. To be complete, the people at our post office don't care about it and just consider that's it's not their problem but the one of the service in charge of delivering parcels Rolling Eyes (mal1905 from this forum can testify for the latest bad experience - parcel returned to him mentioned as not delivered, address was OK but I had no notification, no nothing). I do think it's specific to my local post office, but that does not change the problem: one cannot choose which post office to depend from...

As a consequence, I do now my best to avoid normal post service. I even registered an Amazon Premium account to use alternative shippers - DHL, FedEx, etc. - for Amazon purchases.

That is identical with my experiences, when sending something to France. Lots of problems with postal services over there! Always sending registered or insured.

But another point is, that quite a fraction of french Ebay-buyers do not play fair, too! I know, it might be critical to write this, but I have made my experiences through the years.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all Klaus , this is your experience we should always speak , straight and clearly.

I did ship all over the world with any trouble, I have a very few troubles with buyers due only one case from each countries , I can't say any wrong about them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're dealing with eBay sometimes the shipping charges get so messed up that, unless you want to lose money, you have to figure out the cheapest possible way to ship an item.

Case in point: I had an Olympus OM-10 up for auction and got a query from a guy in Hong Kong about shipping. I checked out eBay's shipping calculator, and even though I'd specified Priority Mail for domestic service, it defaulted to First Class and used some imaginary weight and parcel size and quoted a too-cheap rate. So I answered the guy and gave him an accurate USPS quote.

So what does he do? He does the eBay checkout and eBay charges him this low rate for shipping. Now at this point, I can send him a note, reminding him of my shipping quote and tell him to send more money. Instead I decided to package up the camera and see what its actual weight was and it turns out that the difference between what he paid and what the USPS website said it would cost was only about $1.50, so I didn't worry about it. But when I get to the post office, first they try to overcharge me by mis-measuring the package, and then after I catch them at their inaccurate measurement, they still wound up with an amount that was about $5 more. And this was before I added registered mail or insurance, which would have added probably another $8 or so to the shipping costs. Forget it! The damn camera sold for $30, and I'm already eating $5 in shipping, and I'll just take a risk at it reaching Hong Kong, cuz I just know the buyer will bitch about any price increases in shipping anyway. So I'll jus take my chances.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterbald wrote:
Hi,
I'm mainly buyer too.
Unfortunately,my last purchase form one of reputable old timer of this forums is really nightmare.
Meanwhile, I don't want to publicize his name because I still hope to get my stuff.
The situation is that the parcel has been sent but according tracking number, my stuff arrived (mistakenly Rolling Eyes ) to another country and received by another recipient.
Buyer said, that it's a post office mistake and they should resolve it.

Did you mean seller said ?

In this case shipping is seller responsibility, but you should know postal offices are slow in reclaim , hopefully your seller did call postal office and do his bests, finally if no result, he could ask for money back from postal service if it was at least registered. In my country if a registered mail is lost Hungarian Post pay back postal fee x 15 amount , in most cases this is cover lens cost . Around 150 GBP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
peterbald wrote:
Hi,
I'm mainly buyer too.
Buyer said, that it's a post office mistake and they should resolve it.

Did you mean seller said ?

In this case shipping is seller responsibility, but you should know postal offices are slow in reclaim , hopefully your seller did call postal office and do his bests, finally if no result, he could ask for money back from postal service if it was at least registered. In my country if a registered mail is lost Hungarian Post pay back postal fee x 15 amount , in most cases this is cover lens cost . Around 150 GBP.

Yes, I mean seller.
Fixed.
Thank you for your advices.
Still hope to receive my order . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paid with Paypal open a dispute, you have 45 days to open it also let me know seller in pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
...On the receiving end, it sometimes amuses (and frequently infuriates) me what passes for acceptable packaging from sellers. I don't mind the rolled up newspaper (and will often use it myself), poly pellets, bubblewrap and other usual fillers, but when a lens comes from the Ukraine in a flimsy plastic envelope with absolutely no protection, and the seller has charged $25.00 for postage and packaging, that really pi**es me off. I recently received a package containing a boxed Spotmatic, which I assumed would be placed within a separate box for postage. But no, the seller wrapped the original Honeywell box in brown paper and packing tape and sent it that way - thankfully I didn't attack the package with a box cutter like I sometimes do!!!

Rant over... Embarassed

I know what you mean. Look at my Russian lens when it arrived in Ireland!

Luckily it was registered post, so I was able to return it to the Ukrianian seller and got full refund.

As a seller, one method I use all the time is to show frame by frame how I had packaged the items and to reassure the buyer that everything is wrapped up well before it leave me.

E-300 sale

E-300 packaging

Canon EOS 100mm f2.8 macro lens sale + packaging

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If you paid with Paypal open a dispute, you have 45 days to open it also let me know seller in pm

No,
unfortunately I paid thru bank transfer. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:

That is identical with my experiences, when sending something to France. Lots of problems with postal services over there! Always sending registered or insured.

That's some relief for me at least, knowing that others have the same problem I have Rolling Eyes but it's not surprise
Quote:

But another point is, that quite a fraction of french Ebay-buyers do not play fair, too! I know, it might be critical to write this, but I have made my experiences through the years.

Klaus

No problem, I'm half german anyway Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterbald wrote:
Attila wrote:

No,
unfortunately I paid thru bank transfer. Confused

What a pitty!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
As a seller, one method I use all the time is to show frame by frame how I had packaged the items and to reassure the buyer that everything is wrapped up well before it leave me.

E-300 packaging

Shocked

Remind me to buy more stuff from you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a seller, I usually send parcels using Italian Post Service.
It doesn't care a lot about package's content, so I normally wrap in a war-proof manner too Very Happy
I send regular or registered parcel, according to buyer's choice (no tracking if regular parcel).
I do NOT send insured parcels because it is a 'fraud': in case the parcel is lost, Italian Post asks for a proof of value, like a receipt, a ticket, an invoice... which is of course available for new items only Confused
So if buyer requires insured parcel, I'm forced to use a very more expensive courier like TNT or DHL.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. When I get a lens over 100euros, registred is ok. But when the lens itself is like 5-10 euros... why should I Pay 20-30 euros for insured shipping?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
It depends. When I get a lens over 100euros, registred is ok. But when the lens itself is like 5-10 euros... why should I Pay 20-30 euros for insured shipping?

Insurance amount is not that high, on an 5-10 EUR value.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
vulko wrote:

Insurance amount is not that high, on an 5-10 EUR value.

It varies from country to country, and it may not be 20-30 euros, but vulko makes a good point.

For example, a 1.5 pound package from the USA to NZ costs $13.65 (US) in postage for "First Class International" (the cheapest rate). The option to send it as Registered Mail adds another $11.50... so it almost doubles the shipping price. Neutral

If I get a deal on ebay and win a lens for $10, is it worth another $25+ to ship it? Maybe... but for small purchases, that extra $11.50 per lens quickly adds up... enough so that you could essentially not receive one in four lenses and still be ahead financially. Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays on eBay there are many sellers who won't ship outside the "lower 48" of the US -- don't even bother to ask. And it's because of the added expense and hassle that they have to go through to ship the packages.

When I shipped the $30 camera to Hong Kong (for $5 more in shipping than what I was paid to ship it, which made it a $25 camera), I had to wait in line at the Post Office for 1/2 hour and fill out extra forms. A lot of eBay sellers just don't want to mess with this anymore.