Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus - what can I do ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Fungus - what can I do ? Reply with quote

Hi,

today I visited my dear dealer. Few weeks before I saw a used Nikkor lens (AF Nikkor 2.8/35-70mm D) for a high price in his window. Today I found the same lens in the tinkerer section for a very low price. The salesman told me that they found a little bit fungus in the lens and therefore they reduced the price dramatically.

I dont use this lens but the price was so good and low that I bought it. There is indeed a little bit fungus in it. I never owned a lens with fungus so I dont know too much of this problem. Should I give it to a repair service or is there something I can do by myself (but not open the lens). Not sure but I believe that I have read something about UV light or so to reduce the fungus or at least stop the growth.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all store it right as all of your lenses , without caps to get enough light and humidity should be lower than 60% , ideally around 40%.

A big transparent plastic box with humidity remover tablet (which is sell for to remove humidity for a room ) perfect storage, fungus will stop growing and you don't need to pay cleaning cost. I have 5-6 years experience with this storage under this period fungus did not grow not infected other lenses.

Another solution that most people do run to repair man and clean it, without proper storage fungus will back. Fungus can leave permanent trace path on glass and no way to clean it due acid eat glass. To this trace path need to be an extensive fungus spot and weak glass surface.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you store it away from other, non.infected lenses, as fugus spreads.
This is why ZEISS even won't accept a lens for repair, if there is fungus in it - they sent it back right away.

A cheap lens maybe but also a cheap way to possibly infect others Sad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Make sure you store it away from other, non.infected lenses, as fugus spreads.
This is why ZEISS even won't accept a lens for repair, if there is fungus in it - they sent it back right away.

A cheap lens maybe but also a cheap way to possibly infect others Sad

They are not infect others, Zeiss make an unpolite thing without any reallity...
fungus spores can come from anywhere in air. They can grow only if storage is not right. I kept fungused heavily and minimal fungused lens in same box in proper storage condition 2-3 yrs or more together. Lens with small fungus didn't grow. I also stored for month infected and not infected lens together no trouble.

I did make test with a camera plus lens on my desk, air humid frequently, tons of dirt on it , but no dark just at night. REsult ? No fungus even if 3 yrs left at least.

So refuse fungused lens is a nasty behaviour what is not the first one from Zeiss ( I remember what they did in Jena factory I can't forget it)

Oh finally store it seperatelly good to our heart I do it also.

Last edited by Attila on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your tips.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerous liaisons, I hope we will not have to see the pics of your Leica collection fungused Confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until recently I owned a very badly fungus damaged lens whose coating was already greenish where the infection was, not cleanable at all.

You know what? It was probably the lens which required the less post processing to get the colors just right, go figure.

People stress too much about fungae infections but of course, if you have the guts to open and clean it, please do, if not for performance increase at least for cosmetic reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fungus - what can I do ? Reply with quote

Rolf, I think in a sense you have already answered your own question:

Rolf wrote:
I dont use this lens but the price was so good and low that I bought it.
Should I give it to a repair service or is there something I can do by myself (but not open the lens).

Personally, I would say that if it is a lens that you won't really use, then it likely isn't worth the cost of the repair. You could use it for a while as-is to get a feel for it, and see if you like it better, but if in the end it still isn't the lens for you, I wouldn't waste the money having it serviced, or waste the time to service it yourself. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV light will kill the fungus and reduce it's appearance somewhat. Then proper storage will prevent any regrowth. A simple $10 black light will do the trick. Place the light about an inch away from either element (preferably the side with the most fungus facing the light) and leave it for 5 days or so.