Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chair with a view
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Chair with a view Reply with quote

It is wonderful what clarity a tripod can bring to a photo. SP1000, Super-Takumar 55/2, Kodak Gold 200, exposure [provided by the SP's newly refurbished meter. Direct sun coming from the upper right corner played a little hob, but I'll take it ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. Tripod usage exactly shows our level in photography , most amateur not really like to use it, tripos is essential daily tool like lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shot Paul.. the composition adds to a somewhat sombre atmosphere which I like. Is this the new scanner?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words.

Not my scan. Since it is C-41 film, I had to get drugstore processing, so I went ahead and got a CD, too. I think I will try a scan with the V300, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The washout from the sun in the upper right is perfect! The contrast change draws your attention to the left, and really gives you a sense that there is more out there in the direction the chair is facing. Cool

Throw in the subtle but not extreme use of DOF to emphasize the foreground, and the saturated colors in the background, and this is a solidly great shot! Cool

Heck, you even got a good scan from the drugstore! Shocked How often does that happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a good scan, EXCEPT THAT PERCEY DIMPLED the negative. The dent makes that little arc of light on the chair arm. I discovered this just now when I pulled the negatives to try scanning this shot. I should have known something was up when I noticed Percy was wearing make-up - and too much of it ... Evil or Very Mad
An adjoining neg shot with slightly different framing is next to this one. Perhaps I will scan it ...
Aaaarrrggghhh!
Oh, and thank you for all of the kind words. In the meantime I have bought a hood for the Takumar. Perhaps no more side glares ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my own scans with the V300, 48 bit/ 3,200 px, mild PPing.

First, my scan of the original chair with a view - and that stupid Percy-induced dimple:

Second, my scan of an adjoining negative that had a little more foreground, and a little more to the right side. I cropped to match the original as best I could. There is no dimple. I also added some contrast and saturation, and reduced highlights to more closely match the original. IIRC, I shot this one with a stop more exposure, which increased the washout on the right.

And here is my scan of one of the summer-on-black-creek shots:

They are not quite as sharp of the drugstore machine scans, but I think they certainly are excellent for an $81 scanner ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is a photoshopped version of the original, with my clumsy attempt at getting rid of the effects of the dimple. I am sure you can see I did not get the curve of the left armrest quite right. But hey, not bad for a fellow with a nervous right hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are doing extremely well! I love that chair shot....and bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you would have better luck using the burn tool to fix the blemish? I think the content of the original image is there, it is just lighter in that one spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, a burn tool ... Like in burn and dodge on an enlargement? I could try that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piccie, Paul, very chairismatic. Wink

This is from your original V300 scan with the dimple.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be named "chair with a past" Smile
Good shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, guys.
Hey Bill, you did wonderfully with that dimple. What tool? What software?
It took me an hour to figure out that I could change the size of the little target thingie and click color in tiny dots rather than paint ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chair with a past, indeed. It has been there for decades, I imagine. I think I will take a camera with me and go sit in it right now ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I shot the chair in black and white with the M-O 50/2, one with deep DOF, one with shallow DOF, in still, overcast, humid early morning light. The humidity, I am sure, will soften the background a great deal, even at the smaller aperture ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chairismatic ...
I like that so much I will use it myself - but credit you, Bill. Laughing

Hey, I am shooting through a roll of Kentmere 400 black and white. You got any experience with it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should totally make some1 sit on the chair. You can make a nice pic of some glamour girl, or some old dude.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have access to several old dudes who are my neighbors. They also like to have their photos shot. Very Happy

Glamour girl? Well, there is my beautiful 15-year-old grandniece.

Good ideas, Vulko. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Chairismatic ...
I like that so much I will use it myself - but credit you, Bill. Laughing

Be my guest, Paul, you needn't credit me, nobody else does. lol

Quote:
Hey, I am shooting through a roll of Kentmere 400 black and white. You got any experience with it?

Haven't used that film, looking forward to your results!

On the pic, I blew it up (wuddabeen better using a larger file) and started
dobbing it out with the clone stamp.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one fish!
it have the kind of 3D that digital users dream to make with their crop cam
keep walking with film

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I have access to several old dudes who are my neighbors. They also like to have their photos shot. Very Happy

Glamour girl? Well, there is my beautiful 15-year-old grandniece.

Good ideas, Vulko. Wink

I wuz talking about some bimbo like this:
http://www.photogorky.ru/showphoto.php?photo_id=54779
or
http://www.photogorky.ru/showphoto.php?photo_id=82992

But a lil girl would be also nice, you just need to capture the right moment Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bimbos for this old married grandfather ... Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
No bimbos for this old married grandfather ... Shocked

I stay completely away from the word 'bimbo' since my early 20's.

EDITED, some might find it offensive.