Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aetna Rokunar 300mm f5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccs19 wrote:
I've also got the Tamron version of this lens. Admittedly I was never really happy with it. I've not yet tried it on my K7. Maybe I'll have to give it another go. I did find it has really bad PF wide open, and I just didn't find it that sharp. Maybe I'll have better results on K7.

You should give it another shot, and make a thread for some samples. Cool

I haven't done any tests with mine wide open, but I didn't find any real fringing problems at f8. The D40 doesn't correct CA/PF, so I know it isn't being processed away. I will have to wait for a sunny day to test some higher contrast edges to see how it does, but so far it looks like fringing is pretty well controlled.

Mine certainly seems to be plenty sharp too. I have to adjust the focus carefully, as it will focus just a touch past infinity. So if I just turn it until it stops, I won't get a sharp photo. But just a fraction of a turn before the stop, the focus confirmation lights up and the shot is good. Cool

Here's another sample. ISO 400, 1/250 second, f/11

That mountain is about 9.5 km (~5.9 miles) away, and the snow you see is the snow that started falling during my first test a few days ago. Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Several people here have seen good results with theirs, although my example was pretty crappy to be honest!

Well, that's good to know... I guess. Very Happy What sort of problems did yours show? Also, were you testing yours on the 5D?

Hello

I shot that lens on a variety of cameras, but mostly my Sony a200. The lens was soft until f11 and got thrashed by other 300mms, especially my Soligor 300/5.6. Your copy looks good however Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
The weights are all relatively close:
Vivitar S1 70-210 v2: 710g
Vivitar S1 70-210 v3: 860g
Auto Tamron 300: 795g
... and I assume that this Aetna is slightly lighter than the Auto Tamron 300mm, as the mount is non-removable and there is no auto/manual switch. So it might actually be pretty close to the weight of your Vivitar. Wink

So I put both lenses on our cheap mechanical kitchen food scale (0 to 1000g readout). The Vivitar came in at ~865g, so the scale is pretty close! Cool I then put the Aetna on, and got a reading of ~775g. So this lens does appear to be slightly lighter than the Auto Tamron.

I should point out that I removed both caps from both lenses before weighing, and I left the clear filter on the front of the Vivitar. Also note that my Aetna is still missing the screw/knob that locks the tripod collar rotation. Our kitchen scale was really cheap, so the actual weights may vary. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that perhaps this lens is NOT a direct copy of the Adaptamatic Auto Tamron... or any of the Tamron 300mm f5.6's for that matter. I've been comparing the versions, and mine just doesn't match up. Confused

So here's mine, the Aetna Rokunar 300mm f5.6:

.. and now let's look at the Tamrons. First is the Auto Tamron, with the Adaptamatic mount, model 670Au:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/670Au.html
(edit: now http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/670Au.html)

followed by the early (transitional?) Adaptall version (posted on the forum here by member dab63, but not listed on adaptall-2.com):

http://forum.mflenses.com/silver-tamron-300mm-f-5-6-adapt-a-matic-or-adaptall-t23757.html

followed by the Adaptall version, model CT-300:

http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/ct300.htm

followed by the Adaptall-2 SP version, model 54B:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/54B.html
(edit: now http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/54B.html)

Comparisons:
  • The Aetna has the most visual similarity to the Auto Tamron.
  • The presence of a tripod collar on the Aetna matches it with the Auto Tamron and the early Adaptall.
  • The Aetna's focus/DOF "tree" is a diagonal fan-out style, matching the Adaptall version of the Tamron, but not the Auto Tamron or the early Adaptall.
  • The Aetna has 62mm filter threads match the Auto Tamron and the early Adaptall, but not the Adaptall or Adaptall-2 SP models (58mm).
  • The Aetna's focus grip moves away from the mount when focusing, which matches everything except the Adaptall-2 SP.
  • The Aetna's close focus distance is around 1.5m, and the lowest marking on the focus ring is 1.7m. The minimum focus for the Auto Tamron is 2.5m, and remains 2.5m for the Adaptall version. The only Tamron with a closer close focus is the Adaptall-2 SP at 1.4m.
  • The only Tamron to get consistent good reviews for optical quality is the Adaptall-2 SP.
  • The Adaptamatic has 4 elements in 2 groups, the Adaptall has 4 elements in 4 groups, and the Adaptall-2 SP has 6 elements in 5 groups. Looking into my Aetna through the mount side under a bright light with the lens cap on the front, I can see 5 reflections and a possible tiny tiny sixth.

... So what do I have? Question Is this perhaps not a standard Tamron lens, but maybe a "clean-up" batch to make use of parts left over from other lens designs? Question

Last edited by Scheimpflug on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Please note though, there were at least two versions of the Auto Tamron (Adaptamatic). Mine looked very similar to yours with the same focusing barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Aetna looks like the Adaptamatic version indeed, and I would be surprised if it had a different optical layout, all the other important bits like the focusing helical and aperture mechanism are in exactly the same places as with the Adaptamatic. This all would be different with different glass. The differences vs the Adaptamatic are purely cosmetic. The Adaptall-style DOF scale is a case in point.

I bet this lens was yet another transitional type dating from the early 1970's, when the Adaptalls were coming in, made up possibly from existing bits but certainly from existing Adaptamatic tooling.

There were many undocumented variants it seems, especially those fixed mount types made for third parties. I even have lenses labelled by Taisei (Tamron) that have absolutely no relation to the "known" types.

As for performance - I have absolutely no complaints against my Adaptamatic, its one of those lenses that manages to almost focus itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis - what do you think about the large difference in the minimum focus distance? That is pretty much the only piece I can't explain as a cosmetic change...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't explain it either. I can only speculate. Possibly the helical in the basic Adaptamatic design of this lens has some additional travel available that is limited by a stop - not an unusual situation. For whatever reason - competitive feature bid against a rival maker ? - this one made for Aetna was given closer focus capability, maybe as simply as moving the stop and permitting some more rotation on the helical.

Whatever the explanation, the sum of all the features says "Tamron Adaptamatic" to me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy, M42.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, visualopsins! That makes two... up until now, I had only know of mine, and I hadn't seen any like it on ebay or anywhere else. Wink

There are some slight differences, such as the chrome trim around the grip on mine, and the fact that mine says "AETNA ROKUNAR" while yours says "AUTO ROKUNAR"... but otherwise they appear to be identical! And now, I know what kind of knob to look for for the tripod collar set-screw. Cool

It is interesting how different the serial numbers are... 296xxx vs 693xxx.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Tamron Adapt-a-matic 300mm f/5.6 and variants Reply with quote

I am SO pleased I found this thread! I have been trying to identify the lens I bought off eBay about a year ago. The closest I have got until now is thinking it's a 670Au but it doesn't look quite like any of the 3 variants I have seen. It does, however, look exactly like the Auto Rokunar here, but it is branded Auto Tamron and has a Nikon mount (well, it was sold to me as Nikon mount and it certainly does fit). I was also thrown by the fact it came with a rear cap which says 'For Pentax K' and an Adaptall-2 front cap. So, perhaps this is one of the unknown variants. I will post pictures soon.

Can I use this with teleconverters? And if so, what would people recommend?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron Adapt-a-matic 300mm f/5.6 and variants Reply with quote

Glad the information was helpful! Please do post a photo of your lens if you can.

I can't say for sure how well this lens does with teleconverters... I only have two, a 3x Soligor, and a 2x macro focusing Vivitar, neither of which would really be good matches for this lens... I tried the Vivitar when I did those test shots last year, but I remember that I didn't have enough light for it...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my Auto Tamron 300mm f/5.6. If this is a straight-up Adapt-A-Matic model 670Au I would be pleased, though the focus barrel doesn't look like the model on the Adaptall-2 website.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Timmy,

It looks like one of the many undocumented fixed mount variants of many Tamron lenses.

I would say this is most likely a 670au all the way back to the mount, which seems to be fixed, not Adaptamatic.

Adaptamatics themselves were made with two styles of focus grips - earlier ones were ribbed metal, later ones were rubber.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Timmy,

It looks like one of the many undocumented fixed mount variants of many Tamron lenses.

I would say this is most likely a 670au all the way back to the mount, which seems to be fixed, not Adaptamatic.

Adaptamatics themselves were made with two styles of focus grips - earlier ones were ribbed metal, later ones were rubber.

Thanks for your help. Can I use any old Nikon teleconverter with this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess any older Nikon-mount TC will work.

The newer AI/AIS TC's may not work as this isn't an AI mount. But you never know, you would have to try them to be certain. I have one of these that seems to work with some old lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Yes, and the rear of that lens looks identical to the fixed mount on my Aetna Rokunar. In terms of the Tamron lineup, yours is definitely the closest one to mine!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just deal a AETNA ROKUNAR 300mm 5.5 M42 Lens in Ebay for U$D50
Just curios about this lens ability...

I hope it will not disapoint me when arrive...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sandy,Please post up some images when the lens arrives. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

I Will, but maybe it will take a month to have this lens in hand.
Thanks for your reply...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandysuwandi wrote:
mo wrote:

Thanks for your reply...

Welcome sandysuwandi!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
sandysuwandi wrote:
mo wrote:

Thanks for your reply...

Welcome sandysuwandi!

Thank you visualopsins