Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WANTED: MACRO/WIDE/PORTRAIT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: WANTED: MACRO/WIDE/PORTRAIT Reply with quote

Hi
Im 16 and ive really started getting into photography in the past couple of years, I have a D40, Zenit E and Zenit 11. Im after expanding my lens range of which I have the standard 18-55 kit lens and an 50mm-E 1.8 Nikon AI lens, I love the nikon mf prime due to its sharpness and great low light capabilities. My main interest is in Portrait photography and Landscape. I was just wondering if anybody had any MF lenses in nikon, m42 mount such as:

Any wide angle prime around the 18mm mark
A longer prime around 90-140mm mark
A macro capable of atleast 1:2 such as the takumar 100mm f4 or the nikon 55m f3.5?

Thanks in advance

Jake[/img]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s a cheap but good 35mm prime would be nice too, but i dont have much money atm so i would probably not be able to afford

also aesthetical condition is not an issue as long as the optics are good, and dust free

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Jake.

One of the lens that you should check it out is the Helios 44 series.It is a 58mm f2 lens. Can do portrait and some sort of macro. Do a search and you will find a lot of photos in this forum. It is easily available and at very affordable price. But let Nikon users to confirm if you can use the lens on your camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my-photography

I forgot to mention i have the helios and the industar 50 on the zenit cameras and I have yet to try them on my digital camera because i thought they were just cheap and nasty lenses. I will definately try them out however they are both around the 50mm mark which i have covered it is really the 15-20mm/35mm/90-140mm ranges which i want to purchase some new lenses in.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacob, welcome to our forum!

Using M42 lenses on a Nikon might be a problem for you for landscape pics. Nikon cameras are slightly deeper from the lens mount to the sensor or film surface than other 35mm camera mounts and so, to focus properly, M42 and other lenses designed for cameras with less depth need to be closer to the sensor than a Nikon allows. This isn't a problem with close subjects, in fact you can focus more closely, but it means that distant subjects can never be brought into true sharp focus. The range of focus, the depth of field, changes with smaller aperture settings and different focal length lenses, but it never quite reaches infinity.

There are two ways to overcome this, you can use an adapter with its own lens to change to the focal distance or you can often adjust the infinity setting on the lens itself. Optical adapters are generally thought to degrade a picture slightly but I've seen some very good shots taken with one, good enough for me anyway. Adjusting the lens is sometimes very easy, but ideally it's something to avoid, especially if you ever want to sell the lens again.

We have lots of people here with more experience of using Nikons than I do, so I'm sure they can advise you better. Good luck!

Oh, and the Helios 44 and Industar 50 lenses may be cheap but they most certainly aren't nasty! That remark is going to get you some replies I expect Smile Do a search for each of them on the forum and you'll find lots of great pics with them.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou for the replies so far, with the wide angle lens would it be possible to use a hyperfocal distance method for focussing?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hyperfocal distance is the minim distance you can set on the focus dial and still have distant objects in focus with the minimum aperture. With an M42 lens on the Nikon, you will still need to set the lens dial on infinity, although actual focus will be around 20m, and stop down as far as possible. True, wide angles give you more scope. I don't know how this works in practice with Nikon cams as I've never owned one. Please wait for someone more knowledgable to answer Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WANTED: MACRO/WIDE/PORTRAIT Reply with quote

jacob12_1993 wrote:
I was just wondering if anybody had any MF lenses in nikon, m42 mount such as:

Any wide angle prime around the 18mm mark
A longer prime around 90-140mm mark

jacob12_1993 wrote:
p.s a cheap but good 35mm prime would be nice too, but i dont have much money atm so i would probably not be able to afford

Would you be able to clarify your budget? There is a diverse crowd here- to some, cheap means under US $5, and to others, finding a particular lens for $500 is a bargain. Wink

18mm is going to be tough, as 18mm isn't just a wide-angle, it is an ultra-wide-angle. There are not very many non-fisheye non-zoom lenses that are that wide, and the ones that are out there are pretty expensive. There are tons of cheap 28mm lenses, and a handful of inexpensive 24mm lenses, but once you get wider than that, the prices go up and up and up. Confused As much as I hate to say it, I would probably suggest keeping the 18-55 in the bag as your ultra-wide-angle lens. Embarassed

For your second category, if you're just interested in experimenting, there are plenty of off-brand primes in the Nikon mount. 135mm is an extremely common focal length, so you can look for one of those. You didn't specify what country you are in, but you should be able to find something workable for about US $25, or possibly even less.

I would stick to Nikon-mount lenses if at all possible. While some combinations *may* be usable stopped down, I have done this with a lens I converted from a Canon FL mount, and can say that you really lose a lot of flexibility. This is especially true once you start to lose light (late afternoon / early evening)...

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply scheimpflug, im in england and my budget is probably max about £30 a lens maybe £50 if its a bargain, i presummed that it would be hard to get a full frame lens around 18mm but i thought there might have been the odd one Sad ive been looking at the 135mm and im very interested in them but they go for upwards of £60 on ebay :/ If possible i'd rather spend more on one good quality lens than say 3 poor quality ones that i wont use and end up selling on or chucking, if you get me Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacob12_1993 wrote:
ive been looking at the 135mm and im very interested in them but they go for upwards of £60 on ebay :/

Maybe take a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/for-sale-assorted-lenses-and-cameras-t28485.html

I'm also searching for ultra-wideangles around 18 to 20mm, but they are quiet expensive. Good look with this search! Smile

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacob12_1993 wrote:
ive been looking at the 135mm and im very interested in them but they go for upwards of £60 on ebay :/ If possible i'd rather spend more on one good quality lens than say 3 poor quality ones that i wont use and end up selling on or chucking, if you get me Smile

Completely understand. Cool

But the danger with prime lenses: you also don't want to waste your money, especially a bunch of it all in one shot, by buying a high quality lens in a focal length that you end up not liking. Wink

So one option is to waste just a little money on an inexpensive 135mm, just to get a feel for the focal length. I'm not suggesting you buy a poor quality lens, but rather an average-to-good quality lens. 135mm was so common that there are plenty of these in the bargain bins. Then at the end of the experiment, if you don't like it, you haven't lost much. But if you find that you really like the focal length, then you can save up for a really good one. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Completely understand. Cool

But the danger with prime lenses: you also don't want to waste your money, especially a bunch of it all in one shot, by buying a high quality lens in a focal length that you end up not liking. Wink

I understand you and i suppose the best way is by a cheap one first, thanks a lot for your help so far Smile

Quote:
Maybe take a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/for-sale-assorted-lenses-and-cameras-t28485.html

I have put in an offer for the hoya 135mm and the MIR 37mm thanks for the link Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read sigma XQ 18mm f3.5 is very good (not stellar) and some say it's a dog. It's a small priced glass which i would consider.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive scanned the internet but cant seem to find any for sale, if anybody knows of anywhere with a sigma 18 f3.5, vivitar 18 f3.5 or spiratone 18 f3.5 that would be great Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WANTED: MACRO/WIDE/PORTRAIT Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

As much as I hate to say it, I would probably suggest keeping the 18-55 in the bag as your ultra-wide-angle lens. Embarassed

No need for the blush. This lens is underated. As someone [1] said of another Nikon kit zoom (the 55-200 VR) ... given that you swallow your pride and put the lens to its intended use (a vehicle for acquiring photographic pictures), you might be surprised by the quite sharp images delivered by this modest zoom lens.

I had a Tokina 3.5/17mm RMC (not the ATX) and it was no better than the kit lens. A bad copy ? Who knows but Ken Rockwell swears by the kit lens.

[1] http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_03.html#AFS55-200VRDX

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... no one has recommended Russian "A" mount lenses so far. And those do come with M42 mount usually - but - they can be easily adapted to Nikon by means of an inexpensive T2 mount from which only an external part is to be used (the Russian "A" mount is just that, an external part of the T2 mount).

So, your 135mm lens could be either MC Jupiter-37AM (a very nice one, clone of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135/3.5, often sold for $60 and less in EX condition) or Tair-11A 135/2.8 (a beautiful lens with wonderful bokeh, but fetches closer to $110-120 in EX condition).

In 100-something mm, don't get any other lens than Ai or AIS Nikkor 105/2.5. This is something special, a true gem in Nikon land. Ai versions can be had for around $140 in EX+ condition, $175 for AIS.

However, there's also Kaleinar-5N 100/2.8, a Russian-made lens that comes close to said Nikkor at a fraction of its price. (OK, I have vested interest here as I'm selling one right now: http://forum.mflenses.com/fs-mc-kaleinar-5n-100-2-8-nikon-or-m42-mount-t28408.html )

Most probably, you won't be able to get a decent 17-18mm lens for your budget. In wide angle, MC Mir-20H ("H" stands for "Nikon" mount) 20/3.5 is the best option, or Arsat-H 20/2.8 (see my review here: http://www.prime35.com/arsat-h-20mm-f-2-8/ - these are still available new in box for $113 from several eBay sellers).

A good 35mm lens to fit your budget would be MC Mir-24H (35/2 in Nikon mount) that can be had for around $84 (I paid that much for mine).

As always with used lenses, don't be tempted by Buy It Now "deals" offered by some (most) eBay stores. Those are usually (but not always) seriously overpriced.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: WANTED: MACRO/WIDE/PORTRAIT Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

As much as I hate to say it, I would probably suggest keeping the 18-55 in the bag as your ultra-wide-angle lens. Embarassed

No need for the blush. This lens is underated. As someone [1] said of another Nikon kit zoom (the 55-200 VR) ... given that you swallow your pride and put the lens to its intended use (a vehicle for acquiring photographic pictures), you might be surprised by the quite sharp images delivered by this modest zoom lens.

I had a Tokina 3.5/17mm RMC (not the ATX) and it was no better than the kit lens. A bad copy ? Who knows but Ken Rockwell swears by the kit lens.

[1] http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_03.html#AFS55-200VRDX

Yep, it certainly is a great lens optically. It's also very lightweight, and you can't beat the price (US $100 *NEW*).

The blush is because the lens is truly miserable to use in manual focus mode. Wink It's also a pain to use with rotating filters (polarizers, ND grad, etc).

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WANTED: MACRO/WIDE/PORTRAIT Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

... the lens is truly miserable to use in manual focus mode. Wink It's also a pain to use with rotating filters (polarizers, ND grad, etc).

Agreed.