Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 - but which mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 - but which mount? Reply with quote

Hi there, bestest of all my photography-friends Smile

I just buyed a Vivitar Series 1 VMC 70-210mm 1:3.5, in (kinda) good condition!

But I have two problems - the first is the bigger: what mount is this? I simply don't know Smile

I want to adapt it on my EOS Camera, is there an Adapter which will work without adjustment-lens?

The second problem is the lens itself. Behind the "front lens" there's some stuff on another lens.

I think it's some kind of oil or another fluid. I don't think the glass is broken. Do you think this is a simple cleaning job? I'm pretty good at this, by now Smile

Even if it's worthless garbage I buyed, I got it at no cost with a SIGMA High Speed Zoom-l (or c?), f3.5-4 80-200mm for OM, which costed me 20€. I think that was a nice catch Smile

best Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the N/AI visible on the photo, that means this is a Nikon mount lens & yes, you can find Nikon>EOS mounts easily on eBay....As for the deposits on the elements, just try removing the first element & try cleaning it off. Easy to remove the front element...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Scott,

that sounds amazing!

Is that the Nikon F mount I have to adapt, or which one? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon F mount it is...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the lens problem appears to be oil, not a fungus, so should clean up very easily. But you should also look for the source of the oil.

Are the Nikon/Canon adapters free of glass?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, I pretty sure the front element just unscrews using the obvious slots, like Scott says.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Are the Nikon/Canon adapters free of glass?

Yep. The Nikon to EOS adapter requires no glass for infinity focus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there guys,

yes, it was oil! Smile
It came from the "screw" where the first big lens is attached to. I cleaned it up (looks not that nice yet, I'll do it again if I get home - I'm on vacation at my mother).
No it looks really mint, the glass is crystal clear and I can't wait for the Nikon F/Ai Adapter to arrive Smile

Also die Olympus OM mount is ordered already, so I can use the SIGMA (and another Tokina 28 f2.8 Prime I got at home).

Thanks alot guys, really helpful. I let you know what I think of the lens when I can use it Smile

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Kiron-built Vivitars leak oil and vapours... I've seen more than one lens that had haze that turned to be condensed oil from the helicoid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm - if you saw many of them, how's the quality?
I didn't got much information on these lenses (at least not many pictures taken with it), but I wanted to have one since some months (because of the nice f3.5). I saw there were dozens of revisions with different manufactures, I think I have the first revision (if they call it in that way).

I think I will get the OM by tomorrow, the Nikon-Adapter a Tuesday (with some luck, I get it by tomorrow, too). I'm shooting a Film at the moment, so new toys are always welcome Smile

Best Regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions differ regarding which is the best of the Vivitar S1 70-210 zooms. I've owned a few different ones, and my personal favorite is the one you own -- the f/3.5 with the 67mm front filter size. It's a really nice lens, as I think you will discover once you've had the fog removed from that inner element.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick wrote:
Hm - if you saw many of them, how's the quality?

Honestly, the Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 is way... no, **WAY** better than any Vivitar zoom that I tried. Seeing those Vivitars fetching close to $100 in recent auctions makes me shake my head - I paid $200, shipped, for a MINT Vario-Sonnar without any problems whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that based on eBay's current prices, $200 is a very good deal for a Vario Sonnar, whereas $100 for a Vivitar S1 is definitely toward the high end of it price range1.

As far as quality comparisons go, I'd love to see some. Hint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I would have to say that based on eBay's current prices, $200 is a very good deal for a Vario Sonnar, whereas $100 for a Vivitar S1 is definitely toward the high end of it price range1.

Yep... and from what we've seen around here lately, $100 would be at least double (probably even triple) the "average" sale price. Wink There may be better lenses out there, but there is no question that the VS1 70-210s are a real bargain. Cool

cooltouch wrote:

So would I! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about silly prices for Viv S1 lenses. I had what those people call the creme of the S1 70-210 series, and that was the 3rd model, with the A aperture ring in P/K mount. Not all model 3 lenses had the A aperture and none of the previous 1 and 2 models had it

I sold this to a collector for just about £200 GBP ..maybe $310 ??

I then bought the famous Tamron 70-210 SP, which was a better lens all round, and not a hint of the zoom creep that the Viv had. I paid £90 and it would be a match for any other lens of that type, Sonnars included

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I never bothered taking comparison shots Sad The S1 lenses are all gone now (the last S1 zoom I still have is the 35-85/2.8, and I am selling it right now here in Marketplace). As far as I remember, the deal breaker for me was the amount of purple fringing (Zeiss has almost none of it) and low (compared to Zeiss) contrast.

Uploading a few test pictures taken with the Zeiss lens at various focal lengths, wide open at f/4.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I finally got the Adapter Smile

It fits, but it get my kinda worries.
I can only focus to infinity at 210mm. If I zoom to the wide, I loose more and more ability to focus to infinity. When I arrive at the widest angle, 70mm, I can only focus macro (like 3 or 4cm).
Am I too stupid to handle the lens correct? What am I doing wrong? Sad

Beste Regards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means that is switched to MACRO! Yellow MACRO line is on red poit. Set zoom on 210. Turn the ring with two protuberances (between aperture and distance) while pushing the white plastic button down clockwise. Clicks in when the white line is on the red point for distance and aperture. There you go in normal way with zoom and distance.
When you use macro you should push, not turn the zoom/focusing ring.
Have a look at http://www.kenrockwell.com/vivitar/70-210mm.htm

Last edited by Minolfan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fretless Pete wrote:
Interesting about silly prices for Viv S1 lenses. I had what those people call the creme of the S1 70-210 series, and that was the 3rd model, with the A aperture ring in P/K mount. Not all model 3 lenses had the A aperture and none of the previous 1 and 2 models had it

I sold this to a collector for just about £200 GBP ..maybe $310 ??

Ahh yes, a combination of "desirable lens" + "desirable mount" + "desirable model" + "collector". Wink

To be honest, these VS1 70-210's are worth quite a bit more than what most of us pay for them... I think we are just at a particular point where for whatever reason, the supply/demand curve has given us a very good supply. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i think they deserve to fetch a decent price, because they are very decent lenses, at least the first 3 series 1 models were anyways, ..but i fear there's now more fever attached to these than is good for business.

Once the internet starts raving about this or that, we all jump on them and force prices up till they are no longer reasonable

The Tamron 70-210 SP f3.5 is an awesome lens, and quite rightly, but at the time ( dont know about todays prices ) i got the Tamron for less than half the selling price of the VS1 model 3 'A' that i had. And no zoom creep on the Tamron ! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

thanks about the Macro-thingy! It was in Macro, I didn't came across it on my own. Now I see, how it works Smile

Yesterday I went to a concert and made some photos (about 250), all with the 70-210. Beside the fact, that my Hand hurted after the show (pretty heavy Smile), I think it's a really nice lens! I don't know if it's the sharpest in the world, but it's fast. And it's sharp enough wide-open (THIS is the best about that!).
I don't know if you ever looked thorugh a T2i/550D, it hasn't got a nice ocular like the 5D MKII where you see so much. So focussing isn't that easy, and when it's dark you have to hold pretty steady to get nice photos with this kind of Zoom, I tried to get photos with 1/50 or 1/60 at ISO800 (it's pretty noise above that) wide-open, and I'm pretty amazed. Of course AF would be kinda nice at a concert, but hey, I can't get that character with any new lens (and who can pay them...)

Also I had no problems with CA and stuff. Thanks alot Smile

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice that you enjoy using the lens. I didn't find my manual for the lens but I have one (MD mount) since the first were imported here, I think in 1974. Not usefull for digital so I was happy to get an extra one in M42 with a Pentax two years ago, that I can use on my KM5D.
So I knew immediatly what could be wrong with yours. That is an advantage of a forum like this, there are most times people on line with more experience on specific subjects who can give a little bit of help.