Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

suggestions for Nikkor 50-something focal length article?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: suggestions for Nikkor 50-something focal length article? Reply with quote

I am thinking of creating a collection of comparable photos posted as a series with links to original size files, using the various 50-55-58mm lenses available in Nikon mount. Intention is to shoot comparable compositions with all included lenses at various apertures.

Why? Because no-one has done it, at least I haven't seen something like this shared on the web.

I am not interested in test charts, bokeh CA comparisons or lpm tests. I would rather shoot a subject from wide open to f/5.6 (f/5.6 is pretty much the sweet spot for any fast 50-something lens). Intention is to create an archive which is useful for real world use, ie. show how differently they paint. I have my own studio so I can do a studio composition and lighting setup with flash (preferable as color differences are otherwise difficult to highlight). Comparable workflow of course, tripod with exposure delay to rule out mirror slap, Live View focusing to rule out focus shift, same white balance, no post-processing and all on-camera improvements turned OFF. Sample variation I cannot rule out, that would require multiple copies of each lens and sourcing several copies of each lens is difficult.

Question 1: Composition setup? I think compositions showing detail, dimensionality, bokeh and color are required to make photo series useful. There are surprisingly big differences between these lenses in how they draw & paint.

Question 2: Which lenses to include? I have (own) a few, but am naturally interested if any Finnish/Helsinki mflenses.com users could borrow their lenses for the duration of the project (1 day). Postage to and back (8 EUR one way) would be at lens owner's expense, but I will share RAW files for all lenses tested to anyone who borrows me their lens, including a DVD with return shipping.

I have the following

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S pancake version close focus 0.6m
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S normal version close focus 0.45m
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Ai-S
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF-S (I have two)
Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S
Voigtländer 58mm f/1.4 Ai-S

I need to borrow the following

Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 ZF
Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/2 Macro ZF
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (if someone has a copy that actually works...)
Nikkor 50mm f/2 Ai
Nikon 50mm f/1.8E
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4F (pre-Ai, has to be Ai-converted to use on D3)
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Ai (different coating than Ai-S version I have)
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D AF
Nikkor 55mm f/1.2F (pre-Ai, has to be Ai-converted to use on D3)
Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 Ai and Ai-S (7 rounded vs. 9 straight blades)

Borrowing a lens may include talking to the importer here in Finland, but preferably I would like to borrow one from a user who lives in Finland.

What do you think about the idea - dead as a stone or interesting/useful to you?

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of work with little benefit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Lot of work with little benefit

Little financial benefit I agree. The lenses are surprisingly different though, despite what people seem to think.

I could do the photography work in one day with systematic and academically validated methods. Process and workflow planning requires a few hours. Selling the RAW files as a DVD shipped Worldwide (payment with PayPal) likely would net me more for a day's work than the magazines for which I do their review article data groundwork (I give them facts they distort in the published article, depending on their personal preference Very Happy )

17 lenses x 7 RAW files x 26 MB file = 2.4 gigabytes of data, from which everyone can make their own conclusions. Burning discs with a DVD multiplier station isn't exactly time-consuming or care-demanding either, and shipping world-wide in a bubble wrap letter inexpensive enough to price the material attractively. Wouldn't require a lot of buyers to earn better money than what magazines pay today

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Carsten use to say, if you don't test 5 samples of each lens...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Joe McNally said, lemons seem to be more common with some photographers than others.

I must belong to those luckier than others, because despite batches of new in box lenses, tested with various camera systems, the only brand with which I've found lemons was Sigma (and they are globally recognized for great price/quality but sub-level quality control).

Shooting lpm tests wasn't the intention with this idea anyway, I was more looking for a subject/composition that would show the fingerprint and how it is different from lens to lens. How many lines per millimeter the lens draws is theoretical and relevant only to nitpickers, because very few users actually use a sensor good enough to show this: The best lenses draw more detail than any DSLR sensor on the market today. These fast 50mm lenses are interesting as their fast aperture somewhat limits theoretical detail - I believe none of them draw more detail than what for example a D3X can resolve.

Screw it, I'm not gonna proceed with the project unless a magazine pays me to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingerprint important key word. results will show lens with best fingerprint for the given test subject.

better imho would be to discover subject for each lens best performance, then compare other lens results same subject. example, some 50 better for infinity landscape, some better for portraits -- show lens comparison using landscape subject and lens comparison using portrait subject. We may see one 50 does both better than another, for example. Comparisons for bokeh, ca, etc.. Subject types for test may be enumerated by finding best example photos online for each lens, listing subject type, lighting conditions, etc., i.e. each lens optimal subject for showing 'fingerprint' most clearly. Then compare each lens best fingerprint performance subject with other lenses.

On both full-frame and APS-C bodies.

Value is direct compare lens results from same time with same subjects.

Project reminds me of old pbase lens ratings, if I have history correct, fellow had access to MTF measurement equipment, many folks sent lenses, resulting in pbase lens ratings. (I know if I had access to that equipment I'd wear it out Laughing)

Also reminds of adaptall-2.com, many folks mailed him lenses, he disappeared with a nice collection of other peoples possessions...

IOW folks may be hesitant to send expensive Nikkors...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowing the Noct is not going to be a problem, I know a couple of colleagues who have it. The Zeiss/Sigma importers are business-minded people who only need to be given value and rights to use in their marketing. The other lenses are not exactly expensive, EUR 30 to 150.

I agree on multiple subjects being best suited. That just adds time to the work and postpones it to summer, because in these winter months sun is too low to get comparable light for the full series.

Anyway, many ideas intitially feel better than they subsequently turn out to be, once more properly investigated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You are going to do this, I´ve got 50/1.4 "Old K" (7/5 elements) which is Ai-converted, 50/2 Ai and AF 50/1.8D, which I could borrow.

Are You planning to exclude Micro-Nikkors? I´ve got an Ai´d 55/3.5 aperture compensating type (some claim it to be the best of them all).

And how about the Russian ones? I have Arsat 50/1.4 in Nikon mount, and planning to buy a Helios-81N 50/2.

About the usefullness, I´m not sure. As somebody said, You should shoot many different subjects in different light. If there´s only one subject, it would be like trying to guess somebody´s personality from one portait. You must live with somebody (or some lens) for a considerable time before you can be sure, how he or she (or it) will behave in different situations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
IAnd how about the Russian ones? I have Arsat 50/1.4 in Nikon mount, and planning to buy a Helios-81N 50/2.

I'll second the suggestion for the 81N ("MC гелиос-81н"). It isn't a rare lens, but it isn't especially well known either. I would offer up my copy for the tests, but I think the shipping would probably cost more than just buying a second copy. Very Happy

The lens in question:
http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,start,45.html#1087931

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon closer thought (if I do this at some point) I would exclude the Macro Planar 50/2 ZF as well as the Micro-Nikkors. They are lens designs for different use than these fast fifties. The common denominator here should be fast aperture (f2 or faster) 50 to 58mm lenses in native Nikon mount, including different lens brands. For instance, the 58mm lenses enjoy a benefit over the wider 50mm lenses, as they are by laws of physics easier to correct. Furthermore, when stopped down an f/1.2 lens often doesn't draw more detail than a f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens.

I already have a substantial amount of data from previous groundwork, backed up with 20+ years of practical use with these lenses. My bookshelf and harddrive also contains enough scientific litterature to know how the following rank in a comparison, and how they differ from each other:

Nikkor 50/2 Ai, Nikon 50/1.8E, Nikkor 50/1.8 Ai-S (long & short), Nikkor 50/1.8D AF, Nikkor 50/1.4F (pre-Ai), Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai-S, Nikkor 50/1.4D AF, Nikkor 50/1.4G AF-S, Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S, Nikkor 55/1.2F (pre-Ai) and Nikkor 58/1.2 Ai & Ai-S.

I am not thinking of a review as per traditional meaning - I want to create a library of sample images so that everyone can draw their own conclusions (that's what people do anyway, regardless of scientific facts). Image archive would show how differently they paint bokeh, how dimensional images they give, how color reproduction differs and what is the fingerprint.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Little financial benefit I agree. The lenses are surprisingly different though, despite what people seem to think.

There must be some repair nerd or other who sits on all Nikon repair docs. It would be very easy to figure out what is actually different by that - identical spare parts have identical order numbers.

That approach might be more rewarding than testing the dozens of barrel and branding variations Nikon turned out over the course of time.

By going through public Nikon documents, I can only come up with ten optical versions of their seven manual focus normals (50/2, 58/1.4, 50/1.4, 55/1.2, 58/1.2 Noct, 50/1.2, 50/1.8 ), if we do not count in the coating upgrade from single to NIC.

The 1001 nights only list three documented formula changes within a lens in the history of F mount manual focus normals. The 50/2 was reduced from seven (-H) to six (-S) lenses in 1964. There was a reformulation (no details given) of the 50/1.4 that occurred a year before the switch to AI in 1976. And between the first f/1.8 "long nose" AI and the later generations of "snub nose" S/E f/1.8 lenses, the outer lens diameter and strength were decreased, which makes these two distinct types as well.