Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

my Russian RF kit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: my Russian RF kit Reply with quote

I haven't ended up using this kit much and am tempted to sell it, although whenever I do take it out it's just so CUTE, the J-12 especially

Jupiter-12 back end + coffee cup by Nesster, on Flickr

The above taken with the preset macro-Takumar 50/4, then my camera ran out of batteries and my daughter had stolen my spare set... so I switched to a Fuji F10 for the rest

Fed 3b top by Nesster, on Flickr

Fed 3b, Industar-61, J-12 rear end, by Nesster, on Flickr

Jupiter 12 front and back by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am envious of your J-12. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it would be extremely easy to scratch that rear element! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that rear element has to be looked after; if the bespoke rear cap is lost I've heard one can make a replacement out of a plastic 35mm film canister.

Here is the rear of the J-12 peeking through the shutter of the Fed-3

DSCF2528 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light leak!

Fed-3 light leak by Nesster, on Flickr

This is an extreme example of the light leak I was getting - the amount of leakage was dependent on how long I kept the shutter cocked.

Putzin with the Fed - worn curtain by Nesster, on Flickr

And this is the culprit - the shutter is cocked here, and you can see the worn area of the fabric. I think this bit is where the curtain rests over a roller to the left, when uncocked, and thus is subject to wear.

Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant by Nesster, on Flickr

Silocone sealant to the rescue! This product is from an auto parts supply store, similar goop can be found being sold for various purposes under a variety of names. I squirt a little onto a paper plate and use a q-tip to apply to bellows, or in this case, the curtain fabric. It doesn't stay on for ever but it does stop light.

Putzin with the Fed - back cover removed by Nesster, on Flickr

Another view of the Fed with back removed, pre curtain fix. There's another area where my fed lets in two specs of light: between the top and the shutter box area, above the top film rail. I used a Petzl head led lamp in a dark room to examine the camera pre and post fix.

For the top cover leak, I've added a strip of felt to the back, plus I'm religious about keeping the bottom of the leather case on the camera. Well, that's also because the Fed-3 lacks its own strap lugs.

Last edited by Nesster on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Yes, that rear element has to be looked after; if the bespoke rear cap is lost I've heard one can make a replacement out of a plastic 35mm film canister.

I haven't ever come across a film canister than would fit the J-12. I cut my cap off an old scanner drum cleaner spray bottle with 5cm diameter. Something with 4cm inner diameter would be even better - but most easily obtainable plastics bottles of that size are filled with heavily perfumed cosmetics and will still smell even after being through the dish washer several times...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster, your kit almost looks like mine.
Same cam, J12 but I have the J8 instaed of the Industar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a cap for my J12 off of ebay, along with a replacement rear element.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant fixing, Nesster!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You enticed me to pick up a FED 5 on eBay (domestic USA sale) today.

Now to see how it works with an Elmer I had purchased years ago for some reason or another.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it's a good one & I look forward to seeing pics of it and with it. And an Elmar too - wow that should be a fun vintage feel kit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks !! I have to repair my Fed too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FED photo contest, anyone? Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos and the F30 did a very good job!

rangefinder Jupiters and Industars lenses are bound to become more sought after since NEX, chances are that more cameras that can take them will appear.

though I suppose that the J-12, because of it's protruding back element, cannot be used on the NEX. Does anybody know?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet used the Fed since the fix (somehow other cams piled up with film Laughing ) and I sold the J-12 to someone who wanted the experience.

OTH: I fondled a Kiev rf at the camera show... I think I'm in love. It had whatever Russian lens, but the seller had a Nikkor ('expensive' he said, but he also said he'd had the Kiev + Nikkor out shooting and the combo was superb...)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
FED photo contest, anyone? Cool

Count me in Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have bought that J12 Laughing
It's the one Russian lens I do covet over others. Although I doubt the experience would be much different than with the Zeiss Biogon I have.
I suppose that is the point right Wink

Nice Kit Jussi. and still... I can't blame you for selling it.
The Russian LTM genre is not my cup of tea after a few tries now.
I'll stick to Japan made clones Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing my buddy over at pentaxforums pestered me till I agreed to sell, and he got a very good deal at that Smile