Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma QX 28mm f 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Sigma QX 28mm f 2.8 Reply with quote

bought a Sigma 28mm 2.8, XQ - because i never found anything in the net about it and now i understand why Rolling Eyes

CA starter set

interesting bokeh

on Pentax K20d, RAW resized, not sharpened

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma QX 28mm f 2.8 Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:
bought a Sigma 28mm 2.8, XQ - because i never found anything in the net about it and now i understand why Rolling Eyes

Hey, you had to give it a try, right? Wink

Would you mind taking a picture or two of the lens and posting them as well? One thing I have found is that with obscure lenses, a review with samples as you have done can be extremely helpful.... but it becomes much more helpful if you can really narrow down which particular lens produced them. Wink Otherwise, there could be two or three variations of a lens, some that are duds and some that are great, and there is no way to know which is which. Wink

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing , most Sigma manual lens is crap as we can see here too. There is some exception mostly in tele-range.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried shooting to infinity with it? Just wonder what the corners are like at f5.6-f11. That is, after all, what this lens was designed for, one should imagine Smile

It certainly has some interesting bokeh though, and when the images are clicked on, they look reasonable. The purple fringing is to be expected with that sort of harsh lighting and a cheapie lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the lens:

stop down pin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here are shots with infinity
sun in the back

f8

f22

sun from the side
f 5.6 or 8

it was the same point, just 180 degree turn same conditions - out of cam, only resized.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the samples! Difficult to tell from the small size of the pictures, but it looks pretty crap at infinity to me, what do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Many thanks for the samples! Difficult to tell from the small size of the pictures, but it looks pretty crap at infinity to me, what do you think?

+1 nice doorstop lens Sad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally it seems to me to be best on close focus work. Might be worth trying all the stops at close range before making that doorstop! Other than that it seems to be a pretty good candidate for "worst lens" status Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

+1 nice doorstop lens Sad

+2

Bu why is it this bad. I wouldn't expect much from this lens, but not this bad either.

I'd also be curious to see close focus pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you for sharing , most Sigma manual lens is crap as we can see here too. There is some exception mostly in tele-range.

The sigma 24mm super wide II is very good, but my Sigma 28mm mini wide II seems ok on initial tests (haven't properly used it yet).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:

The sigma 24mm super wide II is very good, but my Sigma 28mm mini wide II seems ok on initial tests (haven't properly used it yet).

Thank you ! I forgot it, I heard same from Bill, if I remember as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Bu why is it this bad. I wouldn't expect much from this lens, but not this bad either.

Yes, that part is interesting.

Based on the samples, I would have suspected that it has hazing or something wrong with one of the elements... but it doesn't look like it from the photo of the front.... Question

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody interested ? Very Happy Shocked Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

need suggestions how to declare it when i send it back to the bay....

...or should i donate it to Mflenses for creating a challenge cup ?