Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the WORST lens you can think of?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: What is the WORST lens you can think of? Reply with quote

A lot of good lenses are being shown on this forum, but a quick search hasn't brought up anything for the worst lens that you own or have experience of. I'm not talking about external condition or when it is infested with fungus, has been shot-blasted by months in the sahara or whatever.

I'm talking about a lens in good external and optical condition, just that something in the design marks it up as being absolutely horrendous in one respect or another.

Any takers?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me:- a Makinon zoom IIRC it was about 35-70mm, and at any setting nothing was sharp, in it's favour VG engineering build but heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non-SMC K-mount Takumars come to mind. IMO Pentax took a wrong turning when they decided to produce cheap cr*p.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I have given away a cheap Vivitar 28-70mm zoom in MD mount. Sharpnes not very good, contrast no where. I had bought the lens because of my wife said she hated me strolling around with some heavy primes (and/or a Vivitar S1 70-210). But I was never pleased with the results. As soon as we had divorced I wanted to get rid of that unsatifying short zoom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Soligor 3.5/35-140 which I bought because of the nice range and the constant f/3.5.
But it was such a lemon!

However, I cannot say that it is the worst lens I can think of. And I believe that it was only my copy. I can't believe that the whole line of 3.5/35-140 are so bad.

And I still have a 2.8/35mm lens - I can't even remember the name ATM, need to check, that definitely has a problem. I can't get a single sharp shot with it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang 100-500. Never got even a semi-sharp photo with mine so I sold it for three times what I paid for it. I've often wondered if the folks that bought it sold it as quickly as I did.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Sigma lenses. Nicely built and great mechanical quality, but optically they are CRAP! And yes, I tried almost mint copies of YS series 4/200, 2.8/135, 2.8/100 Macro. And one 2.8/24.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Old Sigma lenses--optically they are CRAP***

Surely you don't mean the "mini and super wideII".......28mm and 24mm?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant think of any really bad mflens, because I really have low expectations for ones I get for peanuts, so I dont really get dissapointed.
But I think the worst lens I have ever used must be the Sigma 15-30mm. The size does not equal the speed of the lens (its big and not fast). It was totally unsharp (maybe just a bad copy) and really not well built.

Thats my humble oppinon.

PS. I love Sigmas... well most of them Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 I once had a Makinon 2.8/135mm with a closefocus function that i seemed to find very useful in that time(on schooldays budget). It proved to be one of the rare MFlenses that wasn't able to produce a sharp picture no matter how far stopped down on no matter what kind of tripod. To prevent it from getting back into society, i disassembled it to learn more about how bad lenses are built.

2 I had the same experience with a Pallas 2.8/28mm that could produce at least a some kind of sharpish centre. The rest of the picture was beyond disastrous. As the disassembly of the Makinon should be enough protection for society, i decided to sell the Pallas, and it's kind of strange that the only optics one can sell with considerable profit are crappy optics.

Since these two examples, i didn't run into bad or worse lenses again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do fixed-lens cameras count? If so, it would have to be the first camera I ever owned:

You know, that's a thought-provoking question. There have been a few lenses I've been disappointed in, as far as sharpness and contrast go, but none I've used that were awful.

For a while, I owned two Canon EF 28-85mm zooms, one that came with the Elan IIe I bought and another that came with my mother's Elan II, which she gave to me. After doing a comparison between the two lenses, I realized the 28-85 that I got from my mom was noticeably less sharp than mine, so I sold it. Smile Not awful, just not sharp.

I used to own a very rare Vivitar "Professional" 135mm f/1.5. It was a T-mount preset lens and was HUGE. But even stopped down it was ridiculously soft and almost impossible to focus because of its softness. So I sold it too. Got good money for it though because of its rarity. Found this shot of one on Photobucket:

Those are the only two I can think of off-hand. Even the various "cheap" off-brand lenses I've used over the years have been decent performers for what they were.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the performance of this Vivitar at F2.0-F2.4? also soft?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Do fixed-lens cameras count?

No, 'fraid not Smile

cooltouch wrote:

none I've used that were awful.

For a while, I owned two Canon EF 28-85mm zooms, one that came with the Elan IIe I bought and another that came with my mother's Elan II, which she gave to me. After doing a comparison between the two lenses, I realized the 28-85 that I got from my mom was noticeably less sharp than mine, so I sold it. Smile Not awful, just not sharp.

I used to own a very rare Vivitar "Professional" 135mm f/1.5. It was a T-mount preset lens and was HUGE. But even stopped down it was ridiculously soft and almost impossible to focus because of its softness. So I sold it too. Got good money for it though because of its rarity.

<Snip...>

Those are the only two I can think of off-hand. Even the various "cheap" off-brand lenses I've used over the years have been decent performers for what they were.

Noted. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Old Sigma lenses. Nicely built and great mechanical quality, but optically they are CRAP!

Hmmm... I used to have a Sigma Zoom-0 II 3.5-4.5/28-85 MC (even two copies) and both lenses were more than just usable. For zooms they even were really good!

Joosep wrote:
... must be the Sigma 15-30mm. The size does not equal the speed of the lens (its big and not fast). It was totally unsharp (maybe just a bad copy) and really not well built.

What?? Shocked
It must definitely have been your copy! I also have got this lens. My copy is absolutely well built, feels great and can produce really sharp images!
Actually, I have even sold my Tokina AT-X Pro 4/12-24 Apsh., because I have got the Sigma 15-30. And I have always considered the Tokina 12-24 to be one of my best lenses!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a few crap one only Auto Revueneon Zoom I forgot focal length , because it went to trash after a few shoots immediately and did happen years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

For a while, I owned two Canon EF 28-85mm zooms...

I didn't know that there was an EF 28-85. I know about an EF 24-85 (which is a really good lens, at least my copy was) and the EF 28-80 (which I have not shot with).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
BRunner wrote:
Old Sigma lenses. Nicely built and great mechanical quality, but optically they are CRAP!

Hmmm... I used to have a Sigma Zoom-0 II 3.5-4.5/28-85 MC (even two copies) and both lenses were more than just usable. For zooms they even were really good!

Joosep wrote:
... must be the Sigma 15-30mm. The size does not equal the speed of the lens (its big and not fast). It was totally unsharp (maybe just a bad copy) and really not well built.

What?? Shocked
It must definitely have been your copy! I also have got this lens. My copy is absolutely well built, feels great and can produce really sharp images!
Actually, I have even sold my Tokina AT-X Pro 4/12-24 Apsh., because I have got the Sigma 15-30. And I have always considered the Tokina 12-24 to be one of my best lenses!

Well. I work in a photostore, I have testet ALOT of lenses.
My wide angle is the Sigma 12-24 (tested 4 copies before bought the best Laughing ). And let me tell you, these two lenses are not even comparable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
BRunner wrote:

Joosep wrote:

What?? Shocked

Well. I work in a photostore, I have testet ALOT of lenses.
My wide angle is the Sigma 12-24 (tested 4 copies before bought the best Laughing ). And let me tell you, these two lenses are not even comparable.

Forgive me Joosep, but just to be clear. Sigma 12-24mm better than Tokina 12-24mm Apsh yes?

So where does Sigma 15-30mm lie? Good, bad or indifferent?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are dogging on Makinon here is my contribution.

I bought a 28-80/3.5-4.5 1:5 macro last year from a pawn shop for $15. It is a very heavy beast & the focus is extremely sensitive, just a very slight turn of the focus ring & you are in & out of focus. I tested it when I got it & then put it in a cupboard until today. I mounted it on my G1 set up on a tripod & shot three frames @ f5.6 as follows:

1. FL 28mm, focus on tip of Spruce branch @ centre of frame.

2. Fl 80mm, same focus point

3. 1:5 macro @ 10'/3M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Since we are dogging on Makinon here is my contribution.

And an excellent contribution if I may say. I'm sorry, but to my eyes, that's pretty sharp! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to stay clear of coke glass lenses and evident swiss army knives (useable for a lot of things, not good at any of them) but there is one lens I think should not be allowed to carry the Nikkor name.

Nikkor 14/2.8D - center sharpness only positive thing about this lens. Complex moustache distortion, LOTS of vignetting. More CA than I have ever seen, photos are blooming Shocked of it. Boy am I happy I got it on try before buy (never bought it). I think Nikon quietly discontinued it at some point, and coming to think of it I actually know of no-one who ever bought this 1500 EUR piece of ***t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Forgive me Joosep, but just to be clear. Sigma 12-24mm better than Tokina 12-24mm Apsh yes?

So where does Sigma 15-30mm lie? Good, bad or indifferent?

I ment comparing the 15-30 to 12-24.

Theres no way you can compare the Tokina to the Sigma 12-24. Sigma 12-24 is for FF. That is the widest non-fisheye you can get for a fullframe, period. You may compare the Tokina to Sigma 10-20 (theres a new version out of that lens btw).
As a user of Canon I would say the BEST megaultrasuperwide is the Canon 14mm, if you cant afford it, then buy the Sigma 12-24 (this is all for FF camera users).
As the saying here goes: A brother of a Sigma is not a Sigma.
Before I bought mine, I tested 4 copies of the 12-24. One was soft on the left side, one showed some barrel effect on the top, one was perfect (now mine) and one was really crappy (this version was sent back to Sigma).

And also my boss (the owner of the company I work for) does alot of photography. Hes wide angle of choice is the 12-24. Because he told me the 14mm is not worth it.
(So a man who owns the 2nd biggest photocompany in my country should know whats the best. And I mean he has played with them ALL, would love to steal hes bag. Laughing )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander Macro APO Lanthar 125/2.5

The lens simply doesn't work as it should. One would expect, that dragonflies - seeing this lens - will sit down and pose as best as they can, but they don't care and always fly away. Maybe a deffective copy? I have no idea… Sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Voigtlander Macro APO Lanthar 125/2.5

The lens simply doesn't work as it should. One would expect, that dragonflies - seeing this lens - will sit down and pose as best as they can, but they don't care and always fly away. Maybe a deffective copy? I have no idea… Sad

The problem clearly lies in the front shiny metal ring. It scares up the dragonflies. You should paint it black or even better khaki. It's not bad idea to make the front optical element matte with fine sand-paper too. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @no-X