Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help identifying a filter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Help identifying a filter Reply with quote

Hi
I've got a lot of Heliopan filters today.

On one of them it's written 'HELIOPAN 46x0.75 Wz.0'

The glass is transparent and with no colour cast.

Does someone knows what is it exactly ?

UV?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft Focus?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WZ = WeichZeichner = Soft Focus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

it turns that it's really a soft focus - if you turn the filter against the halogen light you can see the concentric circles.

The soft focus effect is very light and I almost can't see the difference.

I was hoping it's an UV Very Happy
so now i have to look for a good UV again.

Thanks again,
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good experience with dirt cheap Massa UV filter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you shoot film, especially slides, you may want to keep that filter.
Soft focus filter that are very weak, such as the one you have, do not affect detail much, but they diffuse light so they lower contrast, which can be useful in slide photography when you shoot a scene that has, say, a bright sky and a dark building shade (such as a cloister).
With digital you would recover in RAW with "fill light", with slide film if you don't use fill flash a very mild soft focus filter might save your photo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio

my intention was to use UV for film, as i got disappointed by the harsh blueish cast of my first slides.

Anyway slides turned out too difficult to scan for me and i really prefer the negatives - they give more natural look.

The 46mm is needed for my contax g and i really dont want to degrade the image quality with the cheap filters.

I guess the option of original contax g uv filter for for 35 EUR remains Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you shoot film, especially slides, you may want to keep that filter.
Soft focus filter that are very weak, such as the one you have, do not affect detail much, but they diffuse light so they lower contrast, which can be useful in slide photography when you shoot a scene that has, say, a bright sky and a dark building shade (such as a cloister).
With digital you would recover in RAW with "fill light", with slide film if you don't use fill flash a very mild soft focus filter might save your photo.

Yes Orio. That's why the effect basically can't be reproduced very well in PS or other software. Soft focus filters and lenses are good to have.

Jules