Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I see your..true angle :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: I see your..true angle :) Reply with quote

Well. do you know that song I see you true colors by C. Lauper? Smile

I think that this lens has TRUE colors and TRUE angle ! Smile

I was trying to correct the magenta hue shift (and also vignetting) -- I have found a way how to eliminate some issues in LightRoom..so the edges are slightly better but not perfect, otherwise the middle of the pictures is untouched...and perfect Smile

I don't know why - but the right side is always reddish and the left side is greenish.. I also succeed in adjusting of the infinity -- it works quite well know -- from 2m is ALL SHARP from initial aperture.

Lens - Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm f4.5 SL - (Nikon mount)
Camera - EOS 5D MarkII -- all pictures in LiveView..

there is NO CROP nor ROTATION, TILT in PP neither... all these pictures are in the same proportions as taken

PP in LightRoom..

tf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shot made me feel confined, the others made me dizzy. What a lens ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what an intriguing lens!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots & lens! I especially like No.1 - where was it taken?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15mm on fullframe are amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbs up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, really great shots Stan.

I like the deep black from the frame going smoothly into the pics. Thats the style I like so much. As far as I know the lens is out of Voigtlaender Classic Line with M39 mount. Is it converted from M39 to Nikon (F) ?

Thanks for sharing.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all ... still the left side is sharper but I am working on it and fixing this problem

@ DigiChromeEd - in town where I live -- It;s a tower ruin about 15 m high and the stones are behind the fence but I put the camera in. The light is exceptional ..

it looks very surrealistic! I go there from time to time to have a look and I am always fascinated..

@ Rolf .. it has native Nikon mount.

Cosina produced this lens as SL version -- same optics as M39 version but 'body' of the lens suits to Nikon SLR cameras..

and imagine -- there was CV Super-Wide Heliar 12mm 5.6 SL version for Nikon SLR available.. I missed one on German Ebay -- well, around 900 GBP winning bid Cool

tf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic as always trifox. Which town?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Patrick -- thanks --

That town is Basingstoke ..

20 mins by train to Southampton (to south)
50 mins by train to London Waterloo (to north)

tf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Stan! You got me (too) excited!
#1 and the cat are super!

So... Is it this one?
And I would just need a Nikon to EOS adapter, or is it complicated?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great again Stan, the first one is scary with that skull on the very left !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greta photos, I like the contrast and the colors are amazing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ nkanellopoulos -- yes! that's it.. exactly the same..

be careful when considering purchase! It is not easy to use lens on EOS 5D MkII .. Very Happy Very Happy

I have no idea what the result on Nikon bodies looks like...

@ hexi - thanks - yes - that stone look like from a horror movie .. Smile

tf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing photos Stan - I have a thing for cemeteries and gravestones Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I see your..true angle :) Reply with quote

I would like to suggest the readers of this forum that are not lens experts and not willing to make extreme experiments, to refrain from buying this rangefinder lens for a DSLR camera.
There are several reasons for not to do that:

1- you will be forced to lock the mirror up constantly - by the way, this, besides being annoying, it is also something that not all DSLRs allow to do

2- if the battery powers down, for any reason (even accidental) while you have the lens on and the mirror up, the mirror will fall down and hit the rear part of the lens, which due to the registration distance, is almost in contact with the sensor

3- you will have to hack the lens by adjusting the focusing registration as Stan did - this is something that requires some expertise on lens hacking

4- for the same or even lower price than this lens, there are other options available, that are lenses natively made for DSLR use and will not present any of the inconvenients discussed above and below

5- the heavy vignetting of the images is caused by the extreme proximity of the lens' exit pupil to the sensor plane. DSLR sensors are not designed to work with rangefinder superwide lenses such as the Heliar. These lenses end up very close to the sensor plane and at the edges of the frame, they cast very oblique light rays. DSLRs sensors are not equipped to deal with those. Hence the heavy vignetting and possibly also a part of the responsibility in the colour shifting of the edges. The only digital sensors that are equipped to deal with those oblique rays are the sensors of digital full frame rangefinder cameras - which today means only one camera, the Leica M9, which features a sensor equipped with cells that progressively get more oblique as they approach the edges, rightly in order to capture those oblique rays and maintain an equal level of light capture throughout the full frame sources. The M9 comes at a price that explains the special technology required to build the camera.

6- the colour shift I see in the pictures is not something that is really editable out. You can, but you would end up spend many many hours with image editing for this inconvenient, hours that would be better spent differently, also because it is not granted that you will be able to rescue all your photos.

trifox wrote:

I don't know why - but the right side is always reddish and the left side is greenish..

My guess is that is what you are experiencing is due to the combination of two factors: the proximity of the exit pupil of the lens to the sensor plane, and a likely unperfect registration of the lens (or the adapter) with regards to the sensor surface, so that on one side it is slightly nearer, and it gets a greenish cast, and on the other side it is slightly farther, getting a reddish cast.
Optical experts please confirm or correct my guess.

While Stan (Trifox) enjoys experimenting with the lenses this way, most people do not, and I would hate to have forum members to make a 350 Euros purchase and end up disappointed and maybe angry with the forum.
Now you are warned, and if you do that, you do at your own risk. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio for kindly warning!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The only digital sensors that are equipped to deal with those oblique rays are the sensors of digital full frame rangefinder cameras - which today means only one camera, the Leica M9, which features a sensor equipped with cells that progressively get more oblique as they approach the edges, rightly in order to capture those oblique rays and maintain an equal level of light capture throughout the full frame sources

I read that M9 users have also problems with this lens and use 'colorshift' to repair corner
seems that firmware make more the magics than the Kodak sensor

lars_bergquist wrote:
CornerFix is of course a patch on an unacceptable situation. The Leica stance is that their cameras must deliver a high grade file that can be used without non-standard PP manipulation. How else could they justify the presence of the JPEG option? I can tell you that lots of knowledgeable people do want it, and do use it, and for a reason.

Now, as even their own 18mm lens does show the problem, they must solve it. It is a matter of honour. It is a matter of credibilty. I am waiting for the next firmware issue.

The old man from the Age of Film

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/108460-cv-super-wide-heliar-15mm-color.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need 15mm take a Bessa-L + 15mm Heliar NO RISK Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would discourage anyone from using this lens ... well, except my self Smile of course

I am not forcing anyone on this forum to buy it.

First of all - this is not a rangefinder lens - it has NIKON SLR register

It's really hard to use it .. but I have a reason to use it - I simply love it despite the fact it has all imperfections mentioned above.

I also have read that the magenta hue shift occurs also on M9 - well -- M8 is not too much affected by this issue ..

The CornerFix doesn't work for files from Canon even DNG generated.. it's strictly for DNGs from Leica M9

@ Attila -- I know what you mean == I would have to get a NIKON DLSR like F2 .. )

@ Orio -- the permanent lock up is nothing to be worries about --
I use a couple if matches and LiveView.. Smile

Regarding adjusting infinity -- I have to mention that I had to adjust only 0.5 mm to get the lens 'closer' to get the infinty.

I would like to try this lens on Nikon D3x -- but I have not got any..

Regarding tuning the axis -- I adjust the adapter not the lens -- the lens is in the previous shape as is..

I must show you a pictures of the lens -- anyway Smile

tf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trifox"]
First of all - this is not a rangefinder lens - it has NIKON SLR register
quote]

I was not aware that such lens existed, sorry.
I can not find it amongst the Voigtlaender SLR lenses for sale at Robert White's.
While I can find two versions of the lens amongst the rangefinder lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - let's make it clear .. I am posting a couple of pics of the lens here;;

I'll try to take better pictures of it LATER ON..

Here we go - pcis taken with pocket camera Canon PowerShot A630 Smile

I'll post pics of the rangefinder version with M39 straight after..

tf