Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Must I buy the Samyang 85 1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Must I buy the Samyang 85 1.4? Reply with quote

Give me your advise. Of course I like shallow DOF, 3D, sharpness and great bokeh. A used Samyang 85 1.4 is available for approximately 200Euro, but I have little to spend right now. I find the price a little bit high but they are rare for Sony. And I really have a craving for the lens since one year.

I have a Biometar MC 80 2.8 that is very nice from f4 and useful from 2.8 (but is a little bit wet and has some CA wide open).
I have a Takumar S-M-C 50 1.4 that is great from f1.4, and absolutely stellar already at 2.8.

So the focal range is covered, but not the aperture with the Biometar.
The aperture is covered but not the focal range with the Takumar.
Will I need to invest in the Samyang 85 1.4, and how would you compare the IQ with the Takumar?

If I had the money right now, I would not hesitate just for fun, but now with a tight budget, do I need to persuit the lens while the opportunity is here or skip the whole thing and stay in love with the Takumar and perhaps go on Samyang hunt when the fundings are back to normal after the summer?

( I know the answer, but tempt me or advise me, haha)

/T

Last edited by torbod on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyan surely is a great lens, but we must not forget that you can get a used (but in good condition) Nikkor-H 1.8/85 for half the price and this lens is at least as good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The Samyan surely is a great lens, but we must not forget that you can get a used (but in good condition) Nikkor-H 1.8/85 for half the price and this lens is at least as good.

Interesting. I'm a rookie on Nikkor altogether, is it sharp from 1.8 and is it possible to convert to Sony mount?

/T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

The original Nikkor-H 85/1.8 is not multicoated, so its contrast is pretty low. MC versions (Nikkor-H.C. and all-black "K" series) sell for significantly more than 100 EUR.

The Samyang is a design of its own; very well corrected and extremely smooth bokeh, while the Nikkor is a classic Planar design, very similar of CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8. I've seen Rokinon 85/1.4 (same lens) sold new for $229 US, which is less than the 200 EUR mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

The original Nikkor-H 85/1.8 is not multicoated, so its contrast is pretty low. MC versions (Nikkor-H.C. and all-black "K" series) sell for significantly more than 100 EUR.

The Samyang is a design of its own; very well corrected and extremely smooth bokeh, while the Nikkor is a classic Planar design, very similar of CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8. I've seen Rokinon 85/1.4 (same lens) sold new for $229 US, which is less than the 200 EUR mentioned.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang is compared with the Nikkor 85 mm f/1.4 D AF in the current edition of Amateur Photography (UK weekly, cover date 26 June 2010). The Nikkor wins (95 vs. 90%) but only because of extra features - AF and metering. However the reviewer, Geoffrey Crawley, writes ...

Technically the Samyang is better. Contrast is higher, it is sharper and vignetting is better controlled.

The Nikkor costs nearly four times as much as the Samyang.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I would add one thing...

Samyang is a way.. definitely..

Nikon is a BRAND..

so let's make a choice ...

I have seen some samples from Samyang and this lens is great ... rather than low cost unit..

Shortly - Samyang is a great competitor with no doubt.

tf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

The original Nikkor-H 85/1.8 is not multicoated, so its contrast is pretty low.

This has never been a problem with my copy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
The Samyang is compared with the Nikkor 85 mm f/1.4 D AF in the current edition of Amateur Photography (UK weekly, cover date 26 June 2010). The Nikkor wins (95 vs. 90%) but only because of extra features - AF and metering. However the reviewer, Geoffrey Crawley, writes ...

Technically the Samyang is better. Contrast is higher, it is sharper and vignetting is better controlled.

The Nikkor costs nearly four times as much as the Samyang.

+1
based on this review, the Samyang is better for manual focus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar version of the Samyang and love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rokinon version of this lens and it's great. The lens is sharp wide open and while it doesn't have "character" to speak of, it does its job and very well. It's my go to lens at dark receptions.

Chris W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all feedback.

aoleg wrote:

I've seen Rokinon 85/1.4 (same lens) sold new for $229 US, which is less than the 200 EUR mentioned.

Yes I know that it is much cheaper outside Europe. But I'd rather shop here to avoid customs and VAT expenses. It is not chepaer than at least 260-280 Euro including P&P (Ebay shops in England, Poland and Germany).

Does anyone know a better source in Europe?

/T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
aoleg wrote:

Do you ever shoot against the light? In normal lighting conditions (sun behind your back), MC or non-MC has little importance. In contra light, non-MC units, especially with many lens groups, tend to show lower contrast than MC units of the same construction. I used enough pairs of MC/non-MC lenses to support this conclusion, including most Russians and a few Japanese ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be a 1.4?

If not, chrome Jupiter-9 or Tamron 90. The Tamron is sharper but up to a stop slower.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Thanx for all feedback.

aoleg wrote:

I've seen Rokinon 85/1.4 (same lens) sold new for $229 US, which is less than the 200 EUR mentioned.

Yes I know that it is much cheaper outside Europe. But I'd rather shop here to avoid customs and VAT expenses. It is not chepaer than at least 260-280 Euro including P&P (Ebay shops in England, Poland and Germany).

Does anyone know a better source in Europe?

/T

http://www.batterijgrip.nl/epages/62496434.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62496434/Products/LPF85C/SubProducts/lpf85c-0001

Don't know the shop though and they state that the lens is not in stock, but it is 235 euros excl. shipping from The Netherlands.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Does it have to be a 1.4?

If not, chrome Jupiter-9 or Tamron 90. The Tamron is sharper but up to a stop slower.

Yes, at least faster than 2.8 and with high IQ. I already have the CZJ Biometar 80 2.8 and a Jupiter 9 with fixed aperture at approximately f/4. Both are superb at slower speeds, but I like stellar results already at 2.8 or faster. Otherwise I'm fully equipped already Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
aoleg wrote:

Do you ever shoot against the light? In normal lighting conditions (sun behind your back), MC or non-MC has little importance. In contra light, non-MC units, especially with many lens groups, tend to show lower contrast than MC units of the same construction. I used enough pairs of MC/non-MC lenses to support this conclusion, including most Russians and a few Japanese ones.

Perhaps. But it also could just be your copy.
Yes, I have shot many photos against light, I love this lens.
Actually, I think the difference between modern multi-coating and single coating is not that bad. There is a huge difference between coated and non-coated lenses, though.

Anyway. Even if contrast was lower with the "H", since I mainly shoot digitally, this is no problem at all. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Price & contrast aside, how do the two compare in terms of distortion?

One of the biggest complaints for the Samyang is the complex "mustache" distortion... which can only be corrected at the expense of sharpness/resolution and field-of-view. Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@scheimpflug: Aren't you thinking about the Samyang 14mm that has the moustache distortion?

@torbod: If you can get the used Samyang 85/1.4 for 200 euros (or new for 235), get it. This lens has been shown to be at least as sharp as the Canon 85/1.2L at 1.4: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/910168/0#8584386 (scroll down a bit for the 100% crops).

If you don't need AF the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar 85/1.4 is the best value for money. Unfortunately no auto aperture though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
One of the biggest complaints for the Samyang is the complex "mustache" distortion... which can only be corrected at the expense of sharpness/resolution and field-of-view. Neutral

I think that you must be thinking of the Samyang 14mm.

For the Samyang 85 mm, the AP review quotes a distortion figure of -0.005% (negative figure = barrel distortion) at both 7.5 m and infinity. The Nikon in the same review is reported to be slightly worse ... -0.006%. These numbers are quite small. As Geoffrey Crawley says in the review...

Straight lines appear as they should, even with quite close objects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
@scheimpflug: Aren't you thinking about the Samyang 14mm that has the moustache distortion?

sichko wrote:
I think that you must be thinking of the Samyang 14mm.

Doh! Yes, you are both right. Embarassed

Sorry about that. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:

@torbod: If you can get the used Samyang 85/1.4 for 200 euros (or new for 235), get it. This lens has been shown to be at least as sharp as the Canon 85/1.2L at 1.4: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/910168/0#8584386 (scroll down a bit for the 100% crops).

If you don't need AF the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar 85/1.4 is the best value for money. Unfortunately no auto aperture though.

Thanx, thats a good teaser.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody said it was a bad lens!
I had the chance to shoot with Henry's copy and I was completely thrilled by the Samyang.
If I didn't have the Nikkor, I would probably go and get a Samyang.
But since I own a Nikkor-H 1.8/85, I do not need one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:

I can understand the AF adding complexity and cost, but why didn't they include auto aperture? Also, is there any difference between the various brand name sellers other than the name?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
AhamB wrote:

...but why didn't they include auto aperture? ...

AFAIK the Nikon & Pentax mount versions do have auto-aperture.