Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OK, Jussi and Bill, et al: 120 box camera query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: OK, Jussi and Bill, et al: 120 box camera query Reply with quote

I have a roll of Ektar 120 film in my refrigerator that needs to be shot. I bought the film a couple of months ago for my Brownie Flash but, alas, it is the wrong size.
I am intrigued by the Box Tengor and its ilk. I would like to buy for minimal cost a 120 box camera to play around with. Ebay has a couple of Towers that are neat looking; one is way over-priced. Holga prices are absurd.
What say ye, Bill and Jussi and anyone else out interested in simple picture-takers? Sure wish my near- mint Brownie used 120 film ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* pinhole! *cough*

Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinhole box camera? Speak up, man, speak up!
I built one 30 years ago around a Speed Graphic 4x5 film holder. It worked.
Simple, simple, simple!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, first of all, don't go down the dark path thinking you can get the same
results as Jussi. I know the pix with the Box Tengor are enticing, but just
admire them for what they are, and know that you'll never get there from here. Laughing
I've had a Fuji 400H roll in my box camera for months, maybe
taken 3 shots out of 8, I just am not enamored seeing a bunch of blurry
photos like the last roll through it. Wink

Does the V300 scan 120? That's actually a good question. Wink If it does,
PM me your address and download from Butkus the Yashica A manual. It's
already loaded with a fresh roll of Fuji Acros 100 you will have to shoot
first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I am lost. Yashica A manual? Acros? Mail? Confused
There are a Yashica A and a dandy looking Nettar on ebay starting at 9.99 ...
Oh yeah, the V300. It did not come with a 120 holder. It came with a combined 35mm and slide holer. I reckon a 120 one is available from somewhere ...

Last edited by fish4570 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I can send you a Yashica A, already loaded with Acros. Can your
scanner do 120?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I answered that above. The holder that came with it does 35mm slides and 35mm film. I suspect a 120 one is available. I'll look on the net.

Butkus manual favoritized a couple of minutes ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some samples from the Yashica A:

This last one was faved by my contact, sholgk, go figure. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Ooh, I answered that above. The holder that came with it does 35mm slides and 35mm film. I suspect a 120 one is available. I'll look on the net.

Butkus manual favoritized a couple of minutes ago.

Paul, I'm thinking the V300 is 35mm only. Would be a PITA to try and
scan 120 in sections and piece it together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked, the V300 is 35mm only.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats, I did, too.

I remember those wonder, detail-packed pics of yours.

Oh, well, thanks much anyhoo. Gotta go to bed ... must ... sleep ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anybody in the area that could scan 120 for you?

Otherwise, here's your TLR:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul if you find a 635 that is missing the 35mm kit I'm pretty sure I have a spare back in Washington.
I'll be back there in a month and can send it to you if that helps.
The Yashica 635 is a fine sample of a toe that goes both ways (120/35mm).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: OK, Jussi and Bill, et al: 120 box camera query Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I am intrigued by the Box Tengor and its ilk. I would like to buy for minimal cost a 120 box camera to play around with.

The Box Tengor is nice, and relatively sophisticated for a box camera, with three apertures (11,16,22) and three focus zones. Shutter speed on mine is 1/40. I haven't used colour in it yet, but I too have a roll of Ektar waiting for an opportunity. The other box to look at is the Box Brownie No.2 Model F. These can be had for the price of a beer (or a coffee, if you're teetotal), and have the advantage over other Brownies in taking 120 film. The regular No.2 has three apertures, which I measured as 16, 22, 32 ('net sources giving 11,16,22 are wrong). The No.2 Portrait model has a supplementary lens for, well, portrait distance.

Box cameras are great fun. They make people smile, and these days, that's quite a useful property for a camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys sure are helpful.
Bill, that Bolsey looks like something Gort would have used in The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Y-635 and such. Wow.
As for 120 in the V300, I read of a gimmick that makes a lot of sense. A V300 user said he cut a piece of picture frame glass a little wider than 120 film. He places a wide rubber band at each end, mounts a strip of negs by tucking each end of the strip under a flat band, then places the rig filmside down on the scanner in the appropriate spot. The single thickness of the bands keeps the film off the scanner bed and away from Newton rings.
It is easy to see this would work because of the width of the slide portion of the negative carrier. Besides, it's cheap, like a box camera ... Shocked Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300445157309&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320560808074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220635458372&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140426959624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280534646305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230497914089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, anybody want to trade a sound box camera or other simple 120 rig for a near-mint Hanimex Praktica Super TL body and case? Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, just checking. Is the light in your scanner's lid wide enough for 120 film? My old Agfa scanner only had a very narrow light strip for 135. You might need to make 2 scans and stitch them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Pinhole box camera? Speak up, man, speak up!
I built one 30 years ago around a Speed Graphic 4x5 film holder. It worked.
Simple, simple, simple!

You know what else would make for a fun project while still keeping it simple?

Once you have the pinhole negatives developed, skip the negative scanning and just make contact prints directly onto B&W photo paper. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATS! Only 40mm wide!

Hmmmm. Upgrade to V500 just so I can scan negs from a $10 box camera? Hmmmmm, such a difficult decision. NOT!

Thank you, Peter, for succinctly analyzing the issue.

OK, a 35mm "box" camera ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXA-1A-SLR-35mm-FILM-CAMERA-Domiplan-2-8-50-Lens-/250666920947?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3a5ce9abf3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Bill, that Bolsey is AWESOME and I've wanted one for a while...

EXA - I think that's one of Bill's favorites.

Ok, scanner. 40mm happens to be the size of 127 film Laughing EFKE makes some nice b&w (reminds me, I have to develop my roll!)

In box cameras I can recommend the Ansco Shur Shot - it's as simple as can be, no adjustments whatsoever, but can produce very good photos - 6x9 negative size doesn't hurt. The Box Tengor's a Cadillac.
http://photography.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3910.m570.l1313&_nkw=ansco+shur+shot&_sacat=625

Or, try a folder.

If you do decide to try 120 in some form, I can scan the film for you. Or, send it to Dwayne's for develop & scan - it's very cheap, you pay more in postage.

A final idea - your camera is for 620 film? If so, you can snip off the edges of the spool of 120 film, making the whole thing thinner. I did this once, with a Kodak Duaflex, and the wind ended up being so tight I got a blister before I started using my velvet-lined pliers. Next time I'll respool from 120 to 620, as I have two 620 spools handy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, if you can suss out scanning 120 negs, I'll send you the Yashica A as
before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "suss out" mean skeeze or jury-rig a way to accomplish it? Laughing

By the way, I have 5 rolls of 35mm Neopan Acros. Got a roll loaded in my ST605 for some serious shooting of seriously old and rusty stuff ...

The slide holder for my V300 has open squares of 5.1cm x 5.1cm. That is getting closer to 6cm x 6cm ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of Bolseys are on ebay.

By the way, a lab here processes and scans 120 film. I always can develop my own black and white and get Cameras Brookwood or Wolfe to scan negs for me ...

Hmmmmmmmm.

OK, Bill, I will be happy to borrow that Y-A from you. You could ship it - which I will gladly pay for - or we could meet in Madison or Huntsville or Decatur, where my in-laws live.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know: Dwayne's will develop and scan both 35mm and 120 color print film for the same price: $3.99 + $2.99 + postage (it gets cheaper the more film you have them do at once).

I'd take Bill up on the offer of the Yashica to try - it's a low risk way to see if you get along with a TLR.