Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OK, Jussi and Bill, et al: 120 box camera query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, PM me your address, it'll go out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
RATS! Only 40mm wide!

Hmmmm. Upgrade to V500 just so I can scan negs from a $10 box camera? Hmmmmm, such a difficult decision. NOT!

Thank you, Peter, for succinctly analyzing the issue.

Paul, you can easily scan a 120 neg twice (20mm overlap) and stitch the two pics together. It's slower but not difficult at all.

Alternatively you could use 127 film as Jussi suggests and scan in one go (4 cm wide). A Koday Brownie 127 would be fun and 4 x 6 cm negs are just big enough for contact prints.

Another idea is using 35mm film in place of 120 in a MF camera. You have to simply adapt a 120 spool and fit the 135 cartridge in its place. There are several how-to's on the net. The image on the film goes right over the sprocket holes! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ideas all!

OK, Bill, PM coming ...

What got me going on this is the ability to look down to focus or view. (I used a Yashica 124 G as a reporter for a couple of years for weekly newspapers.)

I shoot a lot of stuff at waist/knee/thigh level, and lower, and it is way, way difficult to yoga myself into position to focus/view on the really low shots. I had been thinking of a series of daschund-level shots even before I got onto the box/TLR hunt ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I like about a TLR, is setting it at ground level and being able
to focus a shot, one from the Ricohflex:

Efke 50 film

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for the use of a camera that takes 127 film you should consider Yashica 44! If your scanner can do that (pics of 38x38mm).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to have samples from my new 44 this weekend, if I get around to developing the film Rolling Eyes

The main disadvantage to 127 is that the EFKE costs $7 for 127 and $5 for 120 at B&H; $7 for 127 and $4 at Freestyle. And the re-rolled films are in the $12 range...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a BIG disadvantage ... Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The main disadvantage to 127 is that the EFKE costs $7 for 127

fish4570 wrote:
That is a BIG disadvantage ...

I had my first 127 camera in about 1968, and I remember what I paid for a roll then, it was six shillings and eightpence (British pre-decimal currency), or exactly one third of a pound sterling. I plugged that amount into one of these online inflation calculators to see what 6/8d in 1968 would equate to at today's prices. It came out at £4.45.

The only source I know of in the UK for 127 film is Ag Photographic, so I went there to see what was the price of one roll of Efke 127 film.

It's £4.49.

At current conversion rates, that's US$6.87

Buy the film. Enjoy the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is going the extra distance, Alex.

Freestyle has some Efke for $6.99/roll.