Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ofunar Enlarging Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Ofunar Enlarging Lens Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently came across what I take to be a fairly uncommon lens: a 7.5cm/3.5 E-Ofunar enlarging lens made by the Ofuna Optical Instrument Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (Ōfuna Kōgaku-Kikai Seisakusho). I'd guess at an early/mid-1950s date of manufacture.

There isn't a lot of information out there about this company; the name rang a bell, for me, because I had a dim recollection of an Ofunar normal lens offered with one of the rare early Mirandas. It turns out that Ofuna made cameras as well as lenses (and binoculars, too). Two of their camera models - a 120 folder and a 120 TLR - were fitted with lenses of the same specification as this enlarging lens (7.5cm/3.5), and those are reputed to be Tessar designs, so I assume this enlarging lens is a Tessar design as well.

Here's a link to a Camerapedia article on the company; note that there's a suggestion of a Tomioka connection. The "footnote" links at the bottom of the article are worth following.

This is a beautifully made lens, heavy chrome over brass. My specimen is in essentially new-old-stock condition, and came to me in the original "Ofuna" branded lens bubble. It's standard LTM.

No photos of the lens itself at the moment, but here are a couple of photos taken with it, using an M39->M42 adapter and a helicoid extension tube. No pretense of artistry, but I hope availability of sample images will extend our collective knowledge about an obscure lens. The first photo was taken wide-open; the second (same subject) and the third were taken somewhere around f5.6. No sharpening (other than whatever default sharpening flickr may apply); just a very, very slight contrast boost and a bit of cropping. (Note that the largest of the pink flowers is about 12mm across.)

Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got to show us the lens and it mounted to dslr if possible Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen these, but I did not realize that they made camera lenses also. Another company to add as a potential maker of "mystery" Japanese lenses of the 1950's-60's.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These results are very pleasing, moderate contrast but quite good detail.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second one, found the color rendering really fine ...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Nice ...love them!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You got to show us the lens and it mounted to dslr if possible Very Happy

x2! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon

I've never heard of this brand, but the results look very good.

It's amazing what some of those old enlarger lenses can do.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the kind words.

As requested: the Ofunar, in all its diminutive glory, mounted on my K20D (with an old Accura helicoid extension tube). The Ofuna-branded lens bubble is in the background.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Accura focuser looks fine, too ...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi indianadinos,

Thank you! The Accura is certainly a handy little gizmo. In terms of appearance, though, I have the distinct feeling that I must have been a comical sight, tottering around in the garden carrying this camera/focuser/lens combination, tripod and macro rail (not to mention my homemade black-paper lens hood), trying to time my shots between puffs of wind, with two energetic terriers getting underfoot the whole time. Very Happy

Cheers,

Jon